The Beatles "Best Pressings" list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fraser, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

rockinroni welcome, This place can be a little overwhelming at first due to the sheer depth of knowledge available. The white vinyl Lp's you are looking for, are analog pressings from the around mid-seventies I believe, done in the UK on the apple label. I also enjoy the German first press top opening stereo. They both are great sounding to me. Grab one of these and compare to your DMM and follow your ears. Trust your own judgement!

2. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

I don't think this was covered, but this thread has been going on for some long it might have! Did the earlier UK Beatles albums convert over to the Apple label like they did here in the US or did they always remain on Parlophone?

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

In the U.K. Parlophone stayed Parlophone, Apple stayed Apple.

4. rockinroni

rockinroni New Member

I don't have the German DMM but after I read the posts, I did an eBay search, and that was all that was available (besides the domestic of course)

If you have listened to them which one would you recommend to me.
    I have a eas Japanese in MINT condition, but I would like to get a better pressing, if one exists. When Steve said,

Originally posted by Steve Hoffman

"Probably, I'm too lazy to go up there and look.

I remember hearing that the White Vinyl version was a unique cutting. Certainly mine sounds fantabulous!"

This hit a nerve, now I have to hear one, I need one.
    You know the problem I have.
    So should I get the UK or German or the newer German DMM.
    I am thinking UK, right.
    Thanks
    Ron

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Follow up...

While I know I have gotten her off on the right foot, I do think she prefers the "2 box" stereos to the original y/b monos of the first two lp's. How do I set her straight that mono is the way to go???

6. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

Notice that the UK Beatles' "Apple" albums carry catalog numbers that continue Parlophone numbering. The Jan. 1967 contract between(among) EMI, NEMS, and the four Beatles calls for five Beatle albums in five years and rights to the artists' services for nine years. Apple wasn't quite a seperate label when it came to the Beatles, in a manner Apple stayed Gramophone (EMI) if not Parlophone. In addition, NEMS (Epstein) was the second party to the contract and the Beatles third. I haven't followed this all the way through but I'm wondering what rights the Epstein estate might still retain over the "catalog".

7. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

I think I'd advise you to get the UK White Vinyl version. Just make sure it is a UK pressing on the Apple label. Remember that Capitol (USA) also released white vinyl versions of this, at the height of the colored vinyl craze. Avoid these, as they are the same old junk. The original German analog is very nice but tougher to find in great condition. I haven't heard a DMM I have particularly liked as yet.

8. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Sorry the above was directed to rockinroni.

9. rockinroni

rockinroni New Member

Thanks Mark,
    I will then set my sights for a white vinyl UK version.
    on the Apple label of course.
    Roni

10. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Senior Member

I managed to win a mint copy of the Limited Edition UK white vinyl on ebay recently. And yes, it is a very good sounding white album. I was able to compare it with the 80s UK reissue of the album & while it sounds a little different, the black vinyl sounded very good also.

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Guys,

I now have early y/b pressings of all the beatles lp's. I agree with most of what is on this forum, but do I get kicked out of the club because, for the lp's after PPM and WTB, I really prefer the stereo pressings to the mono? Stereo just sounds so much more lifelike to me. Am I missing something???

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

turns out this guy is a lousy seller...i ended up gtting a full refund...so it worked out....

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I thought i was done buying...now i am hooked on getting all the US 45's with picture sleeves. They are pretty cool!!!

14. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I am still so into my US 45's, I am only missing a few of the originals but my understanding there are some reissue's that were done in the 80's I believe, that I have heard good things about here.

I think they were pressed on green wax and are on the Apple label.

Steve could you or anyone else correct me if I'm wrong about the reissue's!:D

15. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Nah, you don't get kicked out. I love the mono and stereo versions of all of these Lps. Collect 'em both.

Psst, I even enjoy my mo-fi box! :D

16. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Give kipper15 a GOLD MEDAL.
    Could't have said it better myself :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

17. Beatle Terr

Gold Medals are quite expensive,ya know.

Steve could you give out a Gold DCC instead?:D

18. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have the mofi box as well...have always loved it.... I have the stones and sinatra ones too....

19. rpd

rpd Senior Member

What are the best mccartney solo pressings to have? (on lp's through the 70's anyway...)

20. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

UK originals of course :)

21. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

My fav is his 1st solo LP(see my Avatar) :)

:thumbsup:

22. Beatle Terr

Kipper, In all honesty and I'm just asking for myself as well, do you own the US releases of Paul's to make that distinction for sure. I *AM* sure that most people including Steve H. prefer The Beatles UK original released LP's over the US version. Although I'm not one of them, I actually think Dave Dextor did bring The Beatles sound more to the liking of US AM radio listeners this of course is just IMHO.

However I will still admit that getting 14 songs on an LP was better than the 11 or 12 cuts we got here in America. Yet at the same time, the Rubber Soul LP has a totally diferent meaning and feel to the UK version to many here in the States.

I also think I would have died, if I had heard She's A Woman and I Feel Fine played on AM radio without the Dextorized added Reverb. Those 2 songs are like night and day to me when hearing the UK versions. No doubt that this is not the way The Beatles recorded them to be heard but boy they certainly got my attention when I did hear them as I'd reach for the volume knob to crank them up.

I am however at this time very used to listening to the UK mixes but still not the song listing formats of them.

Again if you would be kind enough to answer the above question for me about owning the US versions of Pauls LP or CD's that would be cool:)

23. handle

handle Forum Resident

You MADE me buy the BC13 today

Thanks to the thread I bought the BC13 Blue Box. I was bidding on one on ebay that ended going for 180 or so but I stopped at 160.

So I go down to off the Record and they have one for $150. The outside of the box has a few dings around the corners and on the flaps, but I don't care so much about the box. The record sleeves have minor dings and some have very very slight bending. The rarities disc sleeve is in much worse shape than any of the others except that HELP has the inside cover glue coming off slightly so when you try to remove the vinyl it lifts. This can be repaired with a minimal amount of glue.

But the vinyl on all of it seems to be a VG to EX condition from what I know about vinyl grading. I saw no scuffs and definitley no scrathes and very very light dust. I will play them tommorrow night.

Updated: Pepper has a light scuff on side A. I think they played Pepper and White more than any of the others.

The White Album has the 4 pics and the Booklet.

The Pepper in this set des not have the cut-outs. Were the cutouts supposed to be included with this set?

So I decide to buy it and they give me 10 dollars off for a "frquent buyer" club and 10 dollars off because of a sale they were running. Out the door with tax $141 and change. How did I do?

Pictures of the set are on my page at http://www.tomsfiles.com/beatles

-Tom

24. Beatle Terr

Looks like you scored a great set. I looked at the pics and it seems the price you paid was a steal indeed.:)

25. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Kipper (or anyone),

Am I correct in that there is no point in trying to obtain the original UK mono version of Yellow Submarine as this is not a true mono mix?

RPD