The Beatles - Bootleg Recordings 1963, NEW iTunes release 17. December 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

Can ITunes just release this in Europe? AFAIK, it doesn't need to be made 'officially' available in the US (I think both posters of the tracklists are from Europe).

AFAIK, as it stands after the change, published material from 1963 onwards is now protected for 70 years. Unreleased material has a 'use it or lose it' clause (it seems that must be covered for only 50 years at present).

Yes, fans of the BBC material are going to have a bumper Chrimble!

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Would not be surprised if, like others have speculated, this was deleted quickly.

Which would go along with EMI's policy of leaving money on the table when it comes to Beatle things, which makes total sense for a company in bankrupcy.

Silver Surfer and AlienRendel like this.
  3. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

:D

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I love that they are releasing this.

I hate that they are not releasing it on cd as well.

5. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It's Universal now. I'm thinking they made a MAJOR financial offering to Apple to get this approved. Don't forget folks, the new copyright law does NOT cover unreleased material. So anything in the vaults recorded prior to 1 January 1964 is NOW eligible (well will be at the end of the month) to be released in the Public Domain. Of course they only have access to b00ted material, not the actual session tapes and/or outtakes. SO this could well be exapanded on a year-by-year basis. Ron

slane likes this.
  6. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Possibly. but i wouldn't expect it to be available for long.

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I for one am very, very excited about this! I love all these BBC tracks coming at us. I wonder how much prep is going into this set, though. Would it be possible that they would just compile together existing boots and hand them to us as an "official release" or would anything officially released be of higher quality and from their own sources?

9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I don't think this will be a Europe-only release. For four years now EMI/Apple (and now Universal) has kept the official Beatles releases on iTunes remarkably uniform — exactly the same titles with the same contents worldwide. No reason to think it will be different for this release. I could be totally wrong, of course. :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It'll be interesting to see whether they've used the digitised masters (that is, the digital backup of the session tapes taht was made when the remasters were being prepared) or whether Universal have simply pirated the bootleggers. It would be immensely frustrating if it turned out that this release was simply a legit compilation of everything that has been booted before in the same quality.

Edit: I note supermd beat me to it.

11. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

about time-the stuff is 50 years old, release it all I say.

Imagine70 likes this.
  12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Why can't I find this on (UK) iTunes then? Has it disappeared already? :)

13. Raf

Raf Senior Member

It doesn't seem to be officially listed anywhere yet.

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

But why would Apple need a major financial offering here? It's in their interest, as much (I suspect more) as Universal, to get the material protected by copyright. If the Dylan sets are any indication, the label isn't using the opportunity to make significant money so much as to do the minimal possible effort to qualify for legal copyright protection.

15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

My onky gripe is that there will be no lossless release. . :(

16. brainwashed

Hell, nothing from ANY sources until today. Either a VERY recent decision, or EMI/Universal/Apple/iTunes wanted to keep this a virtual secret until release day. Next Tuesday seems awfully close to have heard nary a peep about this. Ron

17. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

This is really cool! More than anything, I'm interested in the BBC cuts!

Any idea as to what the price will be? Would it be safe to average out $1.29 per song and multiply it out for the total tracks here?

18. brainwashed

I don't think this will be a one-time thing. I think Apple (meaning Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia/Dhani) has made the decision to finally open the vaults. But they will do so, THEIR way. It's just a supposition on my part that money has something to do with this. ALL of this has been released on b00t. I'd be shocked, and very disappointed if they simply use THOSE sources, and not the actual EMI session tapes. Otherwise, what's the point? No clue what they'll use for the slew of BBC tracks. Maybe they got a hold of UB:confused:. There's really no telling here WHY this is being done now and why so low-key. I'm hopeful they found or were provided the actual tapes of Bad To Me and I'm In Love. Now THAT would make it all worth it. Ron

vonwegen and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Doesn't look like much, if anything, that we don't already have on bootleg but it's still nice to see them finally officially releasing this stuff. And online is the way to do it, kudos to them!

20. brainwashed

Correct, nothing that hasn't been booted. The question is will they use b00t sources...or the EMI session tapes? Also, what tapes will be used for the slew of BBC tracks?? Ron

DrBeatle likes this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

No. It would be way cheaper than that. As an example, BBC Vol. 2 on iTunes has 63 tracks for $1.29 each or all of them for $19.99. They usually always do bundle pricing.

22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I think they're doing this now because they have a December 31 deadline to extend the copyrights.

I think they're keeping it low-key because they're less concerned with selling the material themselves than preventing other people from releasing it (and competing with official Apple releases).

23. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I would guess if this is a limited release to keep them from public domain then there would be no reason to go through the expense and effort of upgrading. I'm guessing I already have nearly everything on this, in the same quality that it will likely be released in (better, actually, given the boots are lossless).

24. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Not seeing on the Canadian iTunes. :(

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

If it makes you feel better, this is not present on ANY iTunes stores at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.