The Beatles - Bootleg Recordings 1963, NEW iTunes release 17. December 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Absolutely. This is to establish copyright before year's end. I don't think we'll see something like this again next year as the law changes from 50 to 75 (correct?) If this was meant to be a real release, we would have heard of it earlier, and it is unlikely they would want to detract from BBC vol. 2 for the holiday season.

This is a legal release, not a collector's release. Lawyers at work, not artists.

anthontherun and Thurenity like this.
  2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

You could be exactly right. Guess we'll know in a week. Ron

3. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

How much you wanna bet some enterprising b00tleggers will press up and sell CDs of this iTunes-only release? Oh, sweet irony...

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That was my instinct when the Dylan set from last year was "announced"-- but it turned out that Sony put out high quality versions of the material on the set. I can't say it'll be the same here, though. Who knows?

markbrow likes this.
  5. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yeah, but they should expect that by now. And if they wanted a piece of that cash they should just do it themselves.

6. Onder

Onder Senior Member

But why not release ALL of the material that's already been circulating? There is a lot more stuff from the 1963 studio sessions.
    Are they gonna let some of them to end up in hands of bootlegers for good? Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the tracklist is incomplete yet...???

Ondra

7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

There were some rumours from good sources that Paul, Lynne and Ringo finished Now and Then during the last New sessions, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was included on some sort of Anthology 4 to be released during the 50th anniversary of their US arrival celebrations.

I personally would like to see official releases of demos like Goodbye, Sour Milk Sea, Dehra Dun, Gopala Krishna, A Case Of The Blues, Child of Nature, Spiritual Regeneration, etc.

vonwegen and AlienRendel like this.
  8. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's funny that Kevin Howlett only a week or so ago said that there were no plans for issuing more BBC material...

elvissinatra likes this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

If he did, then we may have been expecting something like this... :shh:

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

You might have to wait until 2019 for those.

theMess likes this.
  11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

WOW and double WOW to all of these! It's about time for Anthology 4!

theMess likes this.
  12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Please note that they are not really opening the vaults here...all this stuff has been previously bootlegged, they are just trying to get copyright and/or their cut. There must be a reason they are only giving us this material and not anything else...there has to be lots more from the "With The Beatles" sessions for example...

13. Cool. Before the holidays when funds are strapped. Not to cool. I hope this isn't a limited release. While it would protect the copyright it would also increase the potential for bootlegging.

14. Actually, the With the Beatles session are mostly erased, other than what's already been bootlegged.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Forum Resident

This is beyond awesome. Let everything out I say. None of it detracts from their legacy, this is music history.

But are we 100% sure this is all previously booted?

The 'Bad To Me' and 'I'm In Love' demos interest me the most. Are these definitly the ones we already have? Maybe it's a guitar demo for IIL rather then piano. And the BTM demo audio quality is atrocious on boot. Would be amazing if they had a superior source for that.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Dylan's people will probably put next year's set on 78 RPM only........

:sponge:

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

100 viewing this thread.

18. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Unfortunately, there isn't. For unknown reasons MOST of the session tapes for With the Beatles... and She Loves You/I'll Get You were erased, lost or remain missing. If I recall correctly, only session reel E 50527 (Hold Me Tight remake takes 20-13, Don't Bother Me remake takes 10-13 and Messages to Australia) remains in the vaults. There is ONE possible exception of this release having unb00ted material. The undubbed, take 7 version of Money. Martin's piano was done as a series of overdubs, labeled takes 8-14, this was done almost 2 weeks after the takes 1-7 were recorded. Somewhat confusing, Lewisohn also says that take 7 included a Martin piano edit piece as well. We'll know soon enough what this is all about. IF that reel has been found, the other tracks would include, You Really Got A Hold On Me (takes 1-11) and possibly Devil In Her Heart takes 1-6) and Till There Was You (takes 1-3). Ron

19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

One of the good things about this publishing dump is that it's somewhat raw/not-overedited session tracks seeing release practically wholesale without a 'is it releasable?' preciousness to it - albeit in un-lossless form.

20. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

OK, Thought they might have had it up for a Wishlist/Pre-Order option.

21. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Maybe that is why "Don't Bother Me" doesn't show up on the list yet. To prevent a correct track listing.

22. If we're releasing never before heard stuff then.."Carnival of Light" please!

notesfrom likes this.
  23. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

IIRC, there are only two surviving reels from the WTB sessions. Perhaps only one.

24. slane

slane Forum Resident

But where is Don't Bother Me? Does the snippet of Take 10 in the Scorcese film count as 'issued'?

25. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

It's been in the hands of the bootleggers since the late '80s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.