The Beatles - Bootleg Recordings 1964, "rumours" (Side 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Regarding 'Love Me Do', 1962 and 2012 etc. Yes, it really happened that 1962 cuts are now being used on 'grey area' releases. 'Love Me Do' and 'P.S. I Love You' went up on Spotify immediately in January 2013, among various pre-1963 Beatles live recordings, which did get yanked for whatever reason. At this moment the two 'official Beatles canon' songs available on Spotify are those two mentioned, in the form of "GynMusic Srl" under license of "Pirames International Sri", a company which on Google brings nothing but results about false copyright claims, so how waterproof legal it is we can't say... But fact is, the two official 1962 studios songs are up on Spotify since 2 years now, and not through Apple/Universal, and there's nothing from 1963 on obviously: http://open.spotify.com/album/6T2qp6xDkiV9MR2WPGGna7

Same counts for iTunes, the two songs pop up on random generic 'hits of 1962' type of compilations: https://itunes.apple.com/album/greatest-hits-of-1962/id628201360

2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Hi everyone. Really enjoying the circular pseudo-legal conversation. I'm having almost as much fun reading as I ever had writing. Carry on.

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It's almost as if they have to release a 1964 set, or else they'll be breaking the law!

theMess, raphph, Mark Wilson and 5 others like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Like last year, I kept up with it for maybe one page and have been skimming/skipping since then.

Frank likes this.
  5. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Ah, OK, now I see where you've been going wrong. The 1963 Bootleg was not the BBC's 'cash grab' it was Apple/Universal's. Apple's copyright on BBC material only exists once product is released, as it was not the broadcaster. The BBC gave up it's rights in all regards in 1994 (thanks to a suitably large monetary sum).

6. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

O U T spells 'out'. Which this isn't. As we were. :)

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

They got a special sale at my local super-market:
    $34 for a $40 set of iTunes cards....
    I'm gonna get it.... just in case!

JimC likes this.
  8. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Last year's release came out the same day my step daughter arrived to celebrate the holidays with us. She arrives Monday . . .

theMess, supermd and Mark Wilson like this.
  9. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

OMGosh. I really wished those Andrew Orchestra master tapes would disintegrate by now. They are TOTALLY USELESS TO STONES FANS.......
    unless mental illness is present.
    the beave

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  10. The Beave

11. The Beave

Awesome!
    Meh.......
    the beave

12. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Got excited when I saw a banner in the iTunes store with the Beatles logo. It was just advertising the reduced prices.

In protest, I listened to music that wasn't by the Beatles.

littlelambdragonfly likes this.
  13. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I wonder if they only have to release it for 5 seconds on ITunes with one person buying it to extend the copyright.

Or even sell on CD to one insider person to do the same.

In either case - we will never know...

14. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

No, that's definitely not the case , copyright subsists in the broadcast for 50 years regardless of who owns it or how it is subsequently dealt with. As the BBC/Apple tracks were broadcast (communicated to the public) in 1963 they are in copyright till 2033 anyway . By publishing (selling )the tracks Apple gains an extended copyright term which runs for 70 years from the date of first release. So there's no need for Apple to release them any time soon as there's no urgent reason to extend copyright. The only tracks that will fall into the Public Domain are the studio outtakes from 1964.and the unreleased Hollywood Bowl recordings from 1964.
    The Ed Sullivan shows which were live to air on 9th Feb and 16th Feb fall into the public domain in the UK on 1st January hence the Coda Blue Vinyl release which is properly licensed through MCPS and looks like being the first legal release. It can't be sold in America though !...that's a whole different story , how long have you got ?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  15. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

16. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

The word in music industry circles is that an Apple '64 set has indeed been compiled and will be released. I'd like to see Clarabella and a few other bits and pieces. I like the outtakes but I suspect the musicians aren't too happy so we may have to rely on Rock Melon for another Works In Progress which I thought was really good ( although my wife thinks I'm insane listening to five versions of the same tune ) what was the critical reaction out there ?

Mark Wilson and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  17. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Uhhh, you ARE aware that Clarabella was a) recorded in 1963, and b) released in 1994, riiighht??

18. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

No ! 1994 really ? where?

19. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

Ah found it, its on the BBC album so thanks for the reminder

20. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

"word!"

;)

21. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

Considering it went #1 on many itunes charts worldwide, and that itunes have literally sold millions of Beatles songs since they started distributing them, I'm sure they've made a few hundred thousand $/£/€.

Many people still prefer buying physical formats rather than downloading a bunch of bits and bytes, me included. If there was no official release, I for one would buy a minor label 1964 outtakes budget CD, and I'm sure thousands of people would do the same.

Just wait and see. Apple is rationing the official Beatles products. I'm sure all these releases will officially see the light of day sooner or later. But this is a different case. Apple is obliged to release the 1964 outtakes/live recordings or somebody else will.

Dinstun likes this.
  22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Source?

23. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

Hi Dinstun,
    If they are free to download they'll be bootlegs, because even if the recording is PD the compositions still have to be licensed so the composers can get paid their dues. Unless its licensed through Harry Fox/MCPS or whatever society applies in that territory is paid, its not even a grey release, just a boot!

Dinstun likes this.
  24. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

As

25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Fair enough. (Something happened with the quotes, but i did read your reply)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.