The BEATLES "Can't Buy Me Love" drum overdub

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DinsdaleP, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DinsdaleP

DinsdaleP Senior Member Thread Starter

I think Geoff Emerick's book has solved this mystery, although the story he tells isn't quite right in the details.

Emerick says that when the multi-track arrived from Paris and was played back at Abbey Road, they noticed a defect in the tape which damaged the high frequencies, requiring the hi-hat to be redone. With The Beatles busy "touring", it fell to Norman Smith to overdub hi-hat on "selected sections of the song" via a two-track to two-track copy, with Emerick engineering.

The only problem with this is that The Beatles did their own overdubs to the song February 25th, and would have been able to fix the drums then. So I think the defect was not something that happened in Paris, but during the March 10th mixing session, while The Beatles were busy filming at Twickenham.

Mark Lewisohn uncovered a document detailing a drum overdub on that day (Norman was paid a session fee!), and since the mono mix had already been done (the single was only a week away from release at that point), the overdub must only be on the stereo mix.

Listening to the released mixes seems to bear this out - in mono, the cymbals absolutely sizzle and shimmer, while in stereo, they are a bit flat. You can also hear cymbal in the center, despite the drums being mixed left, although that could just be leakage onto Paul's vocal mic.

- John

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm sorry but that just ain't so.

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Details?

4. Steve Hoffman

There is no overdub on the stereo mix; it sounds even worse than the mono! If they did attempt it, it was not used.

5. DinsdaleP

What part of it ain't so? It seems like an awfully specific (and pointless) memory for Geoff to have invented out of thin air. And there is that Musician's Union payment for a drummer on CBML which needs to be explained.

Just so I'm clear, I'm not suggesting Norman replaced the drum track altogether a la Bernard Purdie. It sounds like they had Norman add a bit of cymbal during a live 4-track to 2-track copy in order to create the stereo mix. So Ringo's original drumming is still there.

- John

6. DinsdaleP

It could be that it was unused, true, although I do hear that cymbal popping up in the middle between lines of Paul's vocal (so does Joseph Brennan, see http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/var-1964.html).

But Geoff's story just might explain why it sounds worse on the stereo. The "good" drum track was there when they did the mono mix, and got damaged before they got around to doing the stereo mix.

- John

7. Steve Hoffman

You have both versions, right? Go play them now. Listen to the rhythm track on both. Report back, pronto!

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

While what Steve is saying sounds true, my ears do detect a slight difference in the drum tracks between the mono and stereo version. The mono version has a more "bashy" sound in the hi hat, and the stereo sounds more "swingy"(sorry, the only way I could describe it).

Who knows?

Evan

9. DinsdaleP

I did listen to both before posting. The drumming on the rhythm track (mixed left in stereo) has way more high frequencies in mono than stereo, which matches up with Geoff's story.

In stereo, I can hear some extra drumming mixed center - listen especially after Paul sings "say you'll love me too" and "what I got I'll give to you".

- John

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Interesting. FWIW according to Nick Mason Norman Smith drums on Remember a Day!

11. Steve Hoffman

Isn't that just the compressor backing off? Listen to the stereo DIZZY MISS LIZZY for the same effect (NOT THE REMIX). Just the Fairchild doing its thing.

12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I haven't listened for this, but I'm wondering how the two parts wouldn't just flam together and sound terrible. And if it was flown in, even more so. It's hard enough to double-track a drum part.

Dan

13. DinsdaleP

That could be, I guess. I just compared the two stereo remixes of "Can't Buy Me Love" from the 90's (Ron Furmanek's for Making of AHDN, and the Anthology DVD). Unfortunately, both are incomplete and buried under dialogue somewhat, but they seem to be somewhere in-between: not as much cymbal as the mono mix, but more than the original stereo mix.

It sounds like if there is damage to the multitrack, it's only on the early part of the song, as the cymbals get louder after the first minute or so (whereas they stay loud through the mono mix right from the first verse).

- John

14. Steve Hoffman

They stay loud because of the Altec compressor. It's doing a radical 2:1 squeeze. Nothing will get quieter (or louder) when that thing is plugged in; it finds the peak and holds it or "limits it".

15. Ray7027

Ray7027 Senior Member

I agree with Steve. I just listened to take 2 in STEREO off of the Ultra Rare Track cds.
    I listened to the high hat and acoustic guitar and then listened to the version on the UK
    Apple Hey Jude album. That has the cleanest version I've heard. I can hear the high hat
    pumping up and down slightly in level. Thats what you would get with the Altec compressor.

16. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

I noticed many years ago that on the stereo mix of "Can't Buy Me Love" (on UK vinyl version of A Hard Day's Night and the UK and US vinyl versions of The Beatles/1962-1966) the hi-hat cuts out briefly on the line "I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend." By contrast, the hi-hat remains steady on the mono mix. What's the story behind that?

Paul

17. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I'm listening to the stereo from the Red Album CD. I think, specifically, that could be Ringo's cymbals bleeding from the vocal track. Since the vocals are mixed center and super- compressed, when Paul stops singing the cymbals on that track get yanked up in the mix.

Same kind of thing happens on the stereo "Please Please Me." The instruments seem to pan from the instrument channel toward the vocal channel when people stop singing....It's the limiter sucking the instruments up off the vocal mics.

18. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac

Can I just say that this discussion thread alone is why the SH Forum is the BEST?!?! I'll stop gushing now.

19. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

A long time back I postulated that the March 10th stereo mix of "Cant Buy Me Love"
    was released in Germany on THE BEATLES BEAT album in May of 64 (a month before it
    was remixed for stereo again).

Only problem with that postulate was I believe it was proven that the stereo
    version of THE BEATLES BEAT album came out a few years AFTER the mono release.
    So my initial assumption (a stereo record pre-dates June 64) was invalid.

Checking Lewisohn - his notes indicate that the 3/10/64 session was "experimental"
    and "never used"... given the new information in Emericks book - it sounds
    like the note reported by Lewisohn probably corresponds to a failed attempt
    to "double track" the cymbals...

I believe whoever said that cymbals can't be double tracked is correct.

But that doesn't mean Emerick didn't try

20. Steve Hoffman

A stereo limiter depending on how it's set up takes down both channels equally and their Fairchild had a rather slow release set on it. The Altec mono limiter they used for the mono mixes had a quicker release time and was set up differently. It's possible that sometimes the vocals on the mono were squeezed separately from the music track which would mean that the vocals would be squashed without having any effect on the rhythm track unlike the stereo. In the stereo version when Paul sings something loud, EVERYTHING dips down. Not so on the mono if done in a certain way. Depends.

At any rate, you are hearing limiting artifacts in both the stereo and mono mixes, just different artifacts.

21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I've tried overdubbing cymbals in home studio on a few occasions..not exactly "double tracking", but close. Basically trying to bolster poorly recorded cymbals on the first pass. Sometimes the results were okay, but usually just turned into a wash of sound. I thought it was cool though!

22. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I'm pretty sure it was I. What I meant was: it is difficult to double-track drums with the same feel and ebb and flow of a live in-studio performance....and for another drummer to do the overdub, it would be even more precarious. To add a cymbal hit or crash is easy; to re-do a Ringo hi-hat part? I would think it impossible.

Dan

23. DinsdaleP

Yeah, I was probably trying too hard to hear another hi-hat in stereo, and will gladly concede the overdub was never used. And according to John Barrett's notes, the stereo mix done March 10th was scrapped in March 1966, so I guess we'll never get to hear Norman's drumming.

Geoff seems to think it was used, though. The book says, "Thanks to Norman's considerable skills as a drummer, the repair was made quickly and seamlessly, and I doubt if even the Beatles themselves ever realized that their performance had been surreptitiously augmented. Certainly it didn't affect the popularity of the record, which shot straight to the top of the charts..."

- John

24. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I was going to mention this. The compressor is working overtime on 'Can't Buy Me Love' and it's always bothered me a bit.

25. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought the drum overdub was the floor tom bashing heard during the end of the song??? Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.