The Beatles - Capitol and EMI Tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PetSite, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Capitol's judgement was a subjective one. On average, American recording practices favored a "wetter" and more "in your face" sound, which EMI in the UK didn't (in Capitol's view) have. On an objective level, there was nothing wrong with the tapes, how they sounded, or how they were made. Capitol just thought they didn't sound like they should. Strictly a judgement call.

somnar, Man at C&A, Adam9 and 6 others like this.
  2. teag

teag Forum Resident

Got it. For the most part, I wish they had used different judgement.....with a few exceptions.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Fortunately not all that much stuff was actually "Dexterized", despite common beliefs.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Remember, EMI often sent Capitol tapes that were dubbed at +8 or +10! That is 10 db over 0 VU! Playing that back on an Ampex, pinning the meters, adding the fact that it was a CCIR EQ'd tape played back NAB through an Altec monitor probably made the thing sound pretty bad. The Capitol engineering staff probably thought the people at EMI Engineering were total incompo's.

Even WHO'S NEXT wasn't +10!

hoover537, Derek Gee, Adam9 and 2 others like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Why would they do that? Wonder if they did the same thing when they sent tapes to Germany and other countries?

6. Steve Hoffman

Why? To prevent added tape hiss during copying and to saturate the tape, a form of dynamic compression. Some (not all) British studios did that right into the 1970s to avoid the dreaded Dolby A. Trident didn't, they used Dolby and I curse them for it.

somnar, Yosi and teag like this.
  7. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

So it's conceivable that the original EMI tapes may still be in the Capitol vaults along with a direct copy (probably flat) and then another copy of the flat copy. Does anyone know if all of the potential Capitol processing was done at the same time? That is, if a track was getting everything (EQ, echo, channel shift/phase change for Duophonic, compression/limiting, etc.) were all of those electronics in the chain so that they were all applied at the same time on that one tape copy?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. slane

slane Forum Resident

And what about EMI copies made for themselves - I'm thinking about the dubs needed for Oldies and the Red & Blue albums etc - they just seem to be 1:1 copies and don't seem to have been overloaded?

Going back to the mono 'Second Album' (specifically listening to the 2004 CD), those tracks DO seem overloaded and loud, but I would put that down to Capitol's 'work' on them (adding EQ and compression to all the tracks - once they had folded down the stereo mixes for 6 of the tracks). I can't see the reason being EMI's dubbing.

lukpac likes this.
  9. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I always assumed they used the patch panel to directly connect the outputs/inputs of the two ATR's and set the level controls on each for unity, but that's a complete guess on my part.

10. Steve Hoffman

You're not understanding me. Nowhere did I say that an EMI copy tape sounded bad. I said that the poor studio in America trying to play it back on a system that couldn't handle the EQ and the high level had a bad sounding result.

McLover and somnar like this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You don't have Long Tall Sally? Want me to rip ya my old mono copy?:D

Is it 'cleaner' than Capitol's album tape, meaning Second Album? I'd be brazen to say it is...

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

I'm sure I have a rip somewhere, I just haven't looked. But if you wanna go ahead and compare to the mono Second Album, I'd be interested to see what you think.

13. slane

slane Forum Resident

I think I understand what you're saying. But wouldn't that mean that every tape Capitol got from EMI sounded terrible to them?

lukpac likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

My Second Album is stereo, so that's out, sorry...

slane likes this.
  15. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

If Capitol's practice was to re-EQ all tapes received from EMI to create their master, would there be any need for the use of a CCIR machine? Can the problems created by playing a CCIR tape on a NAB machine be mostly or completely corrected with equalization?

16. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

That was my thought/question as well. I don't think the CCIR/NAB curves are complex, and if I understand correctly aren't huge to begin with, perhaps 1 or 2 db. I'm sure there's some impact on S/N, but it's probably negligible. I think the EQ for both also depends on tape speed, but I'm assuming that 1/4" stuff sent to Capitol would always be 15ips. I'm just pulling this out of my hat, I don't really know for sure.

EDIT: If Capitol did simply apply EQ instead of making a CCIR/NAB dub, then that's one less tape copy. I'd still like to know if Capitol made all of their changes (EQ, Duophonic, compression/limiting, echo) all at once in a single dub.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  17. slane

slane Forum Resident

Now I'm confused...

I found the copy I have of the mono 'Long Tall Sally' album (purportedly a DESS rip), and LTS & ICYN seem to be the UK mixes.

Either:
    The DESS version has the wrong mixes on it.
    What I have is not actually the true DESS version.
    The DESS version I have is from a 'revised' mono LP.
    The original LP had the UK mixes, not the US mixes.

For the last to be the case, something would have to be off with the dates (re original LP release and/or mixing of the UK versions).

Or did later reissues substitute mixes? Or is the version I have just fake/wrong?

lukpac likes this.
  18. ohnothimagen

Unfortunately we're a little busy on the homefront right now, getting ready to move into our new house, so it might be a couple of weeks before I have the time to check my copy of Long Tall Sally to see what's what. I had no idea DESS did that one, by the way...

slane likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Full track mono and half track Stereo are 1/4" formats as a standard. And that's been a standard since 1949, and even earlier. And most of the time a master tape or a dub master will be on a 10.5" metal or plastic reel per industry standard.

20. Steve Hoffman

This.

21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

22. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Thanks you for the background story Steve..

DRM likes this.
  23. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

Which albums and tracks were "Dexterized?" I know the Second Album was drenched in reverb but was that the extent of the added reverb?

24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I recently picked up an original mono Canadian Long Tall Sally. No way that was mastered from vinyl. It's a dry mix, as opposed to the US, although it it is clearly a further generation down from the UK.

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Some pressings of the U.S. Rubber Soul have added reverb.

DotKom11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.