The Beatles Capitol C1-9 Pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baldo, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Not going to get into all of the possibilities with "promos". For at least some of the 80s Capitol Rainbow promos (and perhaps non-promos), the records were pressed on better vinyl. In my experience they tend to play much quieter with fewer ticks, pops and other random noise. For other labels, some of the "promos" are just later pressings done with a "promo" designation to deal with contractual obligations, i.e... $.

As a side note many promo pressings in the mid to later 80s from certain labels were pressed on "Quiex" type for better sound. I tend to lump those promo Capitols in the same category.

John Bliss and monomusic like this.
  2. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I also have a Specialty-pressed rainbow label “Meet The Beatles!”, sounds great, albeit a bit bright (especially “It Won’t Be Long”). Also, the levels jump around on side 1. The Duophonic tracks are dead sounding.

3. Baldo

Some months ago, I almost bought a mint C1 Hey Jude on eBay. So they are out there!

4. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Were any of these C1 albums pressed in Canada?

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don’t think so

6. Jae

Jae Senior Member

FWIW I own a (C1-9) sealed copy of Revolver that has "Printed In Canada" printed on the back, bottom right cover.

Tommyboy likes this.
  7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Do you remember what the asking price was? Would it entail taking a second mortgage out on yer house?:laugh:

8. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Here's my C1-9 collection (including the 1988 A Hard Day's Night and 20 Greatest Hits*).

[​IMG]

I bought most of them new back in 1989 from Time Warp Records in Sydney. VI and (at least one) Y&T are mono.

One of the Rubber Souls, both of the Revolvers, 1962-66 and 1967-70 are all still sealed.

Here's the Revolver with Canadian sleeve...
    [​IMG]

The PRINTED IN USA text has been removed and a small PRINTED IN CANADA logo added. The black is greyer than the US sleeve. Were these pressed in Canada or the US? I don't want to unseal it, hehe.

* Perry Cox told me many years ago about the 20 Greatest Hits because he was looking for one himself.

9. ohnothimagen

Wow...I had no idea there was an '88 C1 20 Greatest Hits. Discogs doesn't even show it:
    The Beatles - 20 Greatest Hits

10. Jae

Jae Senior Member

It still has the earlier SV catalogue number but it's on the small Capitol purple label like the C1-9s. Apparently it's rare.

11. ohnothimagen

Must be!:laugh: Like I said, it's not even on Discogs (all the SV matrix numbers on Discogs are Rainbow label pressings)

Jae likes this.
  12. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Back in the early 80's, my brother bought the entire Beatles catalog from a local DJ. The DJ would tell the label rep that he was giving the LPs away as prizes on his AM radio show (which he occasionally did) and would get multiples of each album for free from the label. Then he would sell them. Single discs were $2 apiece and the doubles were $4. They all had corner punch holes in the covers.
    So I don't know what to call these. Promos or stolen merchandise!

monomusic likes this.
  13. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Only copy I've ever seen, but admittedly I stopped looking once I grabbed it...

[​IMG]

vinylbeat, Rickchick and Beatledust like this.
  14. Baldo

If I recall, it was between 40 and 70 USD. Still in shrink too!

I'm kicking myself right now.

15. ohnothimagen

Okay, that's roughly on par with the other '88 C1 pressings of the American LPs I see on Discogs.

16. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  17. ohnothimagen

Listing has since ended...that didn't take long:laugh:

18. Jae

Jae Senior Member

They had already ended - none sold.

19. ohnothimagen

Really? That's surprising...

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I have the first two British LPs pressed by Capitol in mono and on a purple label. I believe these came out in the mid-90s during or just after the Anthology TV series.

These begin C1 and are followed by a longish 0777 number. Are these then part of that series or different? Sorry I didn’t pick up the lot at the time but not sure I ever saw the rest of the series.

21. ohnothimagen

I think those ones are the same 1987 digital remastering (of course) but a later pressing than the '87/'88's.

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, thanks. I think these entered shops around 1996. I honestly have no recollection of buying them - or where. Glad I did.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

They were in the import bins at HMV around that period.

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I have a feeling that I bought them in HMV Ireland in Dublin at that time.

25. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I have one of these, as well. Bought it at a local shop in late '89. I've only played it once (right after I took it home), but it looks like I'll need to spin it again, soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.