The Beatles - Capitol Albums Vol 1 & 2 v The US albums box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

@Michael
    What was your ideal vol 3?
    If by some chance the mono aren't correct on RS and VI and if you want the proper mono in those Capitol version configurations, you can still get them from U.S. Albums individual discs.
    The stereo tracks will still be the 87 remixes but the mono is the same.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

deal? I want the US Albums to be completed with the ORIGINAL US CAPITOL TAPES as in VOLUME 1 & 2...

3. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Then we agree. In fact, I like 2nd album very much, one of the American albums that work really well. And yes, Roll Over Beethoven makes for a very exciting opener.:)

4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I must confess I was surprised when I first heard that US stereo albums sold for $1 more than their mono counterparts.

From 1968 onwards, at least (when I started buying stereo albums), there was no price differential between mono and stereo albums in the UK.

Maybe someone with a longer memory (or a catalogue or two) can go a bit further back with this as far as the UK is concerned...

signothetimes53 likes this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The second half of my comment was intended for someone else but got mixed with me tagging you.
    Anyway, I meant what's your ideal Vol 3 in terms of the albums.
    Yesterday and Today obviously but then what?

6. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I know it was covered years ago. but how do I know if the box I purchased was fold-down or the correct mono?

7. A well respected man

Listen to the mono I'm Looking Through You on Rubber Soul. If it has the false start, it's the folddown.

JLGB and boggs like this.
  8. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

And Beatles VI and Early Beatles in that incorrect set also have the wrong mixes IIRC.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Early Beatles is a fold, but it’s supposed to be.

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Nope.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

back in 64 STEREO was quite special and we all wanted it...: )

boggs likes this.
  12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

We'll probably never know the real figures on the Mono to Stereo change-over, save for numbers on sales of new releases in 1968 and after. There would have been a lot of Mono stock still sitting in record store bins and in record label warehouses that would continue to be sold and shipped after 1968 to account for as well. (They didn't actually destroy Mono stock, did they?) And as has been mentioned, families bought Stereo players at different times than other families - so there likely wasn't a wholesale shift in hardware (players families owned) in one year (even if in manufacturing and availability terms), even if the software did change (the phase out of new Mono Lps vs. older Mono Lps still being available).

Save for the mega-sellers (Sound Of Music, Beatles, etc), How quickly did albums go out of print back in the 60s? I know it depended on popularity vs. print-run, but was there the general limited-edition feeling of 'I have to buy this now, because next year this won't be available' for certain genres (Jazz, for instance) or groups? You know there were probably a few connoisseurs having a 'last-days-of-Mono' panic back in 1970, buying up increasingly-scarce sealed copies of albums like, say, Sgt. Pepper.

Michael likes this.
  13. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Thank you!

A well respected man likes this.
  14. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

In addition to Rubber Soul, I thought the second issue with Volume 2 was only with Beatles VI (and not with the Early Beatles). I don't remember the specific issue with Beatles VI, at least off the top of my head.
    I actually made the return at the time (2005?) (I shipped the incorrect versions to Capitol), and they sent me the correct versions. Along with a letter which I've kept for posterity.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Same as Rubber Soul.

16. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Get over the US Beatles compilations.

17. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

No.

Yes, the problem with the faulty Vol. 2 was that all four mono albums were folded from the stereo versions. This is acceptable for The Early Beatles and Help!, as this is how the original mono LPs were made. But it is not correct for Beatles VI or Rubber Soul.

Sticking with the Capitol Albums format of four discs per set in a crappy box, the crazy completist in me would have liked to have seen the whole enchilada, using the Capitol album masters:

Volume 3
    Yesterday and Today (stereo/mono, with the 3 duophonic tracks as bonus tracks at the end)
    Revolver (stereo/mono)
    Sgt. Pepper (stereo/mono, no inner groove so this is under 80 minutes)
    Magical Mystery Tour (stereo/mono, with the three horrible fake stereo tracks intact)

Volume 4
    White Album - Disc One (stereo)
    White Album - Disc Two (stereo) (maybe this could use the volume two cover from the open reel box)
    Yellow Submarine (stereo)
    Hey Jude (stereo)

Volume 5
    Abbey Road
    Let It Be
    A Hard Day's Night (Sound Track)
    Rarities

Volume 6 (possibly)

1962-1966 - Disc One
    1962-1966 - Disc Two
    1967-1970 - Disc One
    1967-1970 - Disc Two

No Introducing the Beatles. I'm not sure they could have done this one anyway.

No Beatles Story or Hollywood Bowl. They're both awful, IMO. And now they've both been done to CD just fine.

... and then I'd probably listen to most of these about as much as I listen to the equivalent Ebbett's boots of them... which is practically never.

billnunan, DmitriKaramazov and lukpac like this.
  18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I guess I'll state the obvious, that nothing listed in your proposed Volumes 4-6 was originally released on Capitol Records (with the exception of Rarities, but that was much later). AHDN did eventually appear on Capitol, but that too was much later (after Capitol acquired United Artists).

I agree with your Volume 3. When it was clear that a Volume 3 was not appearing, I bought stereo and mono vinyls from that time and burned my own disks.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  19. EverybodyGotSong

EverybodyGotSong Freaked Out Yellow-Bellied Son Of Gary Cooper

I said the UK stereo mix. I have no problem with the mono. Perhaps I should have said that “Second Album” is robbed of its power by swapping out the American mixes and replacing them with something that doesn’t belong there. Better? Yes, the power was there in the original recording. It was stripped away by devoting a whole channel to handclaps and smushing all the instruments to one side (yeah, I know that’s how they did it then, but still...). The American bastardization restored the “ooomph” that it should have by slathering some reverb over it.

A well respected man likes this.
  20. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Fair point. So "Capitol Albums" would be a misnomer.

21. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I believe that, after the demise of Apple Records in 1975, all those later LPs appeared on Capitol eventually --- most of the existing ones in 1976, but Let It Be not until 1979 (as like AHDN, it was tied to UA), and Rarities not until 1980 because it wasn't released until then. I remember buying Let It Be in 1977 and getting an Apple label.

But I think what was meant was "original release".

22. A well respected man

Very good argument. You are right, the stereo of the first two albums (two track recording) dissipates a little the power of the mono. For those stereo tracks, the Capitol versions more centered and with reverb have more kick, in spite of lower SQ.

Anyway, for the tracks from the first two albums I always listen to the mono.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Of course, they were all on Capitol eventually, as noted above.

To be clear, the "centered and with reverb" only applies to Second Album.

24. A well respected man

Exactly, we were discussing Roll Over Beethoven.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It was just a bit confusing as that was immediately preceded by "the stereo of the first two albums".