The Beatles - Capitol Albums Vol 1 & 2 v The US albums box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot, Jul 14, 2017.

1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I guess it's somewhat poetically appropriate for you to defend Capitol Records with a plethora of unnecessary capital letters, but it doesn't make your statements any more accurate.

In terms of radio play and listener demand, I Want To Hold Your Hand was already an underground hit before Capitol had pressed or sold a single copy. Again, that is a fact, not an opinion.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Dammit, you're right. And I've missed the edit window. Thanks for the correction.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NO, the caps are nails that need to be sunk into understanding...FACT: that had nothing to due with CAPITOL making the Beatles RICH, FAMOUS, in the USA...without them they would have still been in England in 1964...can you stop now? Can you sink this in your cranium...CAPITOL OWNED THE BEATLES they had everything to do with their success in the USA. CASE CLOSED DUDE....

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Capital letters are the internet equivalent of yelling. I guess you are trying to drown out the facts with noise? At any rate, this will be my last post to you on the subject. When a person is so heavily invested in their opinion that facts do not matter, rational discussion becomes impossible.

goodiesguy, FJFP, andybeau and 7 others like this.
  5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Wrong year, dude.

Get with the facts!

It happened on Capitol.

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

THANKS! finally!

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

It doesn't meant you're right though Michael...

8. Michael

now you're gonna start? HAHA!

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I have always wondered why so many, including the thread starter, get the title wrong to the earlier Capitol sets. They clearly say, right on them, THE CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL. 1 and THE CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL. 2. Nowhere on the set does it say anything like "The Capitol Years". It just puzzles me.

For what it's worth, when searching and comparing Beatles tracks, I always find tracks from THE CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL. 1 & 2 to sound very, very good - brighter and shinier than the duller tracks elsewhere. Now I'm not exactly known as "golden ears", but I know what I like, and those CAPITOL ALBUMS tracks always deliver.

Naturally, I tend to avoid "She's A Woman" and "I Feel Fine", those are a mess, and the Capitol-detractors always bring up those two as if all Capitol tracks sounded that way. They don't. Most of the Capitol Beatles tracks sounded pretty much like their UK counterparts.

Gone4ABurton, notesfrom and Michael like this.
  10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Interesting. I've been listening to the Beatles all my life... I'm 52. There is some music that, when I hear it, I'm instantly transported to a time and a place and I get that strange queasy feeling of nostalgia.

This never happens when I listen to the Beatles.

Why? Probably because, as I said, I've been listening to them all my life. Nearly constantly, maybe with some years off here and there. So there's no one period, no one event, no time *in particular* that a song or album remind me of.

For instance, if I were to put on "Steve McQueen" by Prefab Sprout right now I'd be instantly transported back to college and my first serious relationship. That's not something I especially want to do very often. If I were to put on, say, the White Album... Nothing. Nothing but enjoyment! Though I also listened to the White Album in college, I also listened to it in high school, and in my 30s, 40s, 50s... and I was hearing it on the radio before my brain was fully formed.

I kind of like that about the Beatles - there's no nostalgia for me when I hear them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  11. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

When I listen to the Beatles, I think of when I received the albums. They usually revolved around my birthday or Christmas. And then I think about things happening in my life during those times. I’m 55 years old.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I still get nostalgia for many Beatles tracks. Early ones take me right back to the ED SULLIVAN appearances along with listening on my clock radio to WIBG in Philadelphia playing Beatles records non-stop. I kind of tuned out of the Beatles stuff from about then to their later years. Every time I hear "Something" or "Here Comes The Sun", I think of hearing them on my FM stereo radio in my old bedroom. Same with "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road". The whole White Album takes my to my buddy's house where he "premiered" it for me on his family's console stereo.

Technically, I have no particular love for Capitol Records as a company (I'm an A&M guy!), but I do still appreciate the way that Capitol worked with the Beatles recordings and prepped them for US consumption in those early days. I love looking at the cover of SOMETHING NEW, and I love, in retrospect, the sound of THE BEATLES SECOND ALBUM.

As for the box sets in the title, I far prefer the sound of the CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL. 1 and VOL. 2 to the US ALBUMS, but they got the packaging right on the mini-albums. I'm happy to have both - and I'm happy to also own the 2009 Beatles in stereo and the mono set. But at this point, I think I'm done with any more Beatles releases unless something really new or exciting happens, but I don't need box sets, or vinyl - I've got all the old vinyl and they're good enough. (I'm done with PET SOUNDS too!)

dude0711 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

No animosity on my part, man. I'm onlly talking about Beatles history and some people seem to take it too personally.

Please don't yell at me, Michael. But czeskleba has provided facts, you only are shouting opinions.

And once more: that last sentence is factually wrong: they had already been successful in other countries before conquering the US. They didn't need US success to make it in the rest of the world. Check the dates. That is fact.

14. Michael

you are correct...of course they didn't never said they did...I said Capitol made them the success in the USA. they were already famous elsewhere...

A well respected man likes this.
  15. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

It's what I understood from "without them they would have still been in England in 1964". Now I guess you meant "they would be elsewhere". I just wanted to clear that up. Curiously enough, they were playing France when they received the news of their first American number 1.

Mr. Explorer and Michael like this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, someone else already pointed out my error with typing the wrong year.

The record was released on Capitol, but the song was already a radio hit before Capitol had even released the record. So the point is that giving Capitol credit for making the song a hit is like giving the waiter credit if your food is delicious.

17. Michael

yes, exactly...

18. Michael

for me the White Album is a Christmas album...LOL.

19. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

My mom, sisters and I were shopping at JC Penny summer of 1975 in Seattle. When I saw the White album in the record department, I somehow talked my mom into buying it for me. The only stipulation was I had to wait until my December birthday to get it. It seemed like forever!!!

notesfrom and Michael like this.
  20. Michael

but worth the wait...my parents had a great tube HUGE Consul TV with phonograph...I blasted the WA...it kicked ass to my teenage brain!

apesfan and musicfan37 like this.
  21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Too much nostalgia is toxic to the soul.

Fortunately, the better the music, the more likely it is to achieve a timeless quality rather than just being a mile marker for your life. The music of The Beatles has this quality.

Mr. Explorer, vinnie and Shaddam IV like this.
  22. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I also received Beatles‘ 65 that birthday as well. That Christmas brought; The Beatles Second Album, The Beatles Story, Help!, Yesterday and Today, Yellow Submarine and Abbey Road. I was in heaven!!!

Jimi Bat likes this.
  23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I also got the White Album for Christmas in 1968, but I'm like the Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV in that I don't really think about when I got it when I listen to it.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  24. Michael

great memories! Beatles are good for that.

Sidewinder43 and musicfan37 like this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Typing “void” repeatedly isn’t an argument, nor does it change the facts.

Except, no. I Want To Hold Your Hand broke in the US on the radio via a Parlophone 45, before Capitol had released the song or done any promotion for it.

As above, I Want To Hold Your Hand was a hit before Capitol did any promotion.

Capitol released I Want To Hold Your Hand, but Capitol didn't make it a hit. It was already a hit before they had any involvement in it. They were already "made" in the US.

Except of course, that's false. A myth. A fantasy. Wishful thinking.