The Beatles - Capitol Albums Vol 1 & 2 v The US albums box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot, Jul 14, 2017.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Briefly looking back, it seems the US mix has a slightly longer fade and is edited slightly differently.

Beatles Capitol Cds (part 11)

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for the additional info to a box set I have no interest in owning...: )

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  3. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Well, you aren't the only one who reads this stuff.

goodiesguy, bubba-ho-tep, Raf and 7 others like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

of course not...you read it and responded to me for no reason. I hve no control of what ppl read on the forum, but you felt the need to to comment on my post. The OP didn't as he understood my post...you did not. LOL.

5. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I have a question, hope some of you guys can help me: I read in some thread that Capitol bought the rights to the UA A Hard Day's Night in the 70s, so they re-edited the album under the Capitol seal. My question is: did they use the true stereo mixes or was it just the same as the 64 UA album (with that strange fake stereo)?

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Same as the UA issue.

A well respected man likes this.
  7. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Wasn't just the Beatles album. EMI bought the whole UA umbrella (which included the Imperial and Liberty archives among others).

A well respected man and jmxw like this.
  8. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

For what it's worth, the UA stereo LP of "A Hard Day's Night" that I bought brand new in the racks in 1975 or 76 had all the George Martin score songs in true stereo, and all The Beatles songs in true mono. No fake stuff...

MarkTheShark and DRM like this.
  9. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Seems unlikely. Are you sure? If I remember, much of the "stereo" was subtle, and perhaps easy to miss.

10. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Yes, it was subtle "twiddle" stereo.....aka someone playing with the balance knob in the middle of the song. It's especially noticeable on TELL ME WHY.

jmxw and Dinstun like this.
  11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

This is consistent with the multiple cassette copies I own.

12. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed my sets Vol. 1&2. These sound like The Beatles records that we heard growing up in the US back in the day. They are the best official releases of the US albums on CD. The only other CDs that offer that vintage US album sound is the unofficial Dr. Ebbetts needle drops that sound fantastic as well.

driverdrummer, Sidewinder43 and DRM like this.
  13. A well respected man

Thank you everybody for the information. I guess that made the presence of CBML and ISHKB in the Hey Jude album worthwhile. When was the first time the song AHDN was published in true stereo in the US? The Red album in 1973 maybe?

Well, when I said "that strange fake stereo" I meant that it's not duophonic or another simulation based on the duplication of the mono channel, it's just mono being panned occassionally and differently balanced.

Dave112 likes this.
  14. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The US Red Album had "A Hard Days Night" in mono.

15. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Then it would probably have been REEL MUSIC which gave us the first stereo AHDN, as well as the proper edit of I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER in stereo which I don't believe we have ever gotten anywhere else.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

It is doubtful that UA or Capitol created an "improved" stereo album master by replacing all the fake stereo tracks with mono.

The stereo reel to reel is the same as the stereo LP.

I don't remember offhand, but is it possible that there was only one tape master, in "stereo", and the mono album was just folded from this?

DRM likes this.
  17. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's possible, I suppose.

I haven't checked, but I would expect a mono fold to have a slight change in volume when the 'stereo' tracks pan to one side. Then again, perhaps it would be too subtle to really notice.

DRM and Dinstun like this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If you check Tell Me Why I think you’ll find the balance shifts in the call and response section.

It’s not a proper edit. The edit doesn’t repeat the correct bar.

goodiesguy, jmxw and DRM like this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Same with Ticket to Ride

Chip TRG likes this.
  20. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Sorry for the confusion, guilty as charged. What I should have said was the George Martin songs were in true stereo, and The Beatles songs were not. Based on my mediocre stereo rig in 1975, The Beatles tracks 'sounded' like some kind of mono as opposed to the same tracks on the stereo Something New LP, thus I hardly ever played the A Hard Day's Night LP.

So I just now pulled out the AHDN LP and my Bruce Spizer book "The Beatles Swan Song", and I concede I am hearing some kind of mono processed into a false stereo. The thing that jumped out at me most was I thought I was hearing a slight time delay between L and R, but that could be my ears getting faked out by the almost 'duophonic' slight increase in base on the L and slight increase in treble on the R. I didn't hear any of the subtle panning that is supposed to be there, but I don't contest it.

20 lashes with a large noodle. Carry on...

21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Large WET Noodle?! :righton:
    Hey, I might like that! :winkgrin:

What we really need is for Capitol to press up just Y&T, just the disc, offer it up for $5.00, Duophonic and all. No jewel case, that way we can use the cover from the U.S. album's box and put the 'real' disc and that would be that!
    Beave

Sidewinder43, boggs and NumberEight like this.
  22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Wow, cool thread!
    Beave

23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Sometimes:laugh:

24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

They were already having hit singles as early as March 63 in NZ, getting Please Please Me to #2 on the Lever Hit Parade, following that in June with a #1 From Me To You.

25. A well respected man

Wow, you guys enjoyed beatlemania from the early start :)

goodiesguy likes this.