The Beatles/Ed Sullivan shows on DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texquad, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texquad

texquad Senior Member Thread Starter

I picked up The Beatles/Ed Sullivan "really big" shows on DVD yesterday. I haven't watched the whole thing, but what a trip. These old shows with commercials are a real time trip. I'd like to see more old stuff like this.
    By the way I thought that Mitzy Gaynor was HOT!

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Too darn hot, actually... ;)

3. texquad

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

And she probably did not have any "enhancement" surgery and the photos were real, not digitally retouched.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Real chest? Likely. Photos not touched-up? Less likely. No digital techniques back then, but it's not like no one ever tampered with photos BEFORE digital existed!

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

You are right about photos being retouched before digital, but certainly the retouching was minor compared to what is done routinely today. Airbrushing to fix the skin tone, etc .were common. How about making Britany Spears' thighs thinner in photos? Nothing like that could have been done back then, could it?

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Check out her act on the DVD in slo-mo & freeze frame & you will see how REALLY hot she was!!! I think I may have watched this segment more than The Beatles' segments!:love: :righton:

8. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

In the immortal words of Keanu Reeves, "Whoa...". :love:

Oh yeah, that Beatles stuff was cool.

9. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Actually, like so many other people, The Beatles' first appearance on the Sullivan show changed my life. I didn't become a musician (despite numerous attempts to try to), but it certainly started me on the road to buying records. I was only 6 years old, but i had to have a Beatles record. Saved my allowance for a while and eventually got at 45 of "I Want to Hold Your Hand".

10. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Just watched the Feb. 9th show. Wow did it take me back. I loved the whole thing. Watched it with my 17 year old son. The look on his face was priceless when some of the acts came on. The bizzare comic acrobats that closed the show were a hoot, as was Tessie O'Shea and her banjo. Even loved the commercials. My son particularly commented on how they were so different from today's ads. A true variety show in every sense of the word.

The Beatles stand out like sore thumbs among all the quasi-vaudeville acts. They look timeless. It's easy to understand the effect they had, they were SO different. Like alien entertainers dropped from another planet. I saw the show when it originally aired, but I don't remember anything else but the Beatles.

Jeff

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Here's a blast from the past:)

Attached Files:

12. Michael

And another....Love the "Beatle" picture!:)

Attached Files:

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thanks Michael, the TV listing sure was a blast from the past. The Sunday evening programming on channel 13 looked really interesting, too (Joseph Campbell, Michael Harrington, etc.)

Jim W.

14. Michael

Isn't it! Before I watched my Ed Sullivan set, I pulled out this TV Guide and "imagined"...:) A slice of heaven!:love:

I feel so fortunate to have lived during the many great debuts of our beloved memories from the 50's & 60's...:)

15. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Check out the "Bonanza" listing...the "C" was for color. Very few regular shows were in color in early '64. Bonanza was tho!!!

16. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Forgive my ignorance, but I had only known Mitzy Gaynor from a Monty Python sketch - I never knew that she was a real person. Thanks for showing me that she was real - no - very real! I may have to keep looking at the photos so I won't forget! The DVD's seem worth getting as well.

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I purchased the Sullivan set on its first issue, straight from the website, not only for obvious reasons, but when I saw the inclusion of Mitzi's performances. My 82 year-old father always had a thing for her, my sister and I suspect for the same reason that Paul's grandfather suggested in HDN that one of the dancers in the film was a good swimmer.

Anyhow, when, last summer, my family and I visited my dad, I packed up the DVD player an surprised him with the Sullivan DVD. He greatly enjoyed Too Darn Hot, in particular, and, as Mitzi worked her groove thing, he seemed to get younger before our eyes! As I recall, we gave the pause control on the remote a workout that evening. Slo-mo, too, but only because the heart medication was handy.

Looks like I'll be buying a replacement copy of the DVD.

18. Larry Geller

Michael Harrington was one of my professors in College!

19. texquad

Quote from USA Today review

"On the second show Mitzy Gaynor got the guys in my high school hot and bothered. You can still see why".

20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Queens College?

21. Larry Geller

Yep.

22. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Yes, I'll have to agree, next to the Beatles, I'll be watching this for Mitzi's performance. It was fun to see in the Miami show, John took his mike stand problem in good humor, while to see Paul play on like a trouper, even though his could be higher as well.

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I have to admit that I was watching "The Scarecrow" (with Patrick McGoohan) on the Disney show that evening! .:eek: BTW, that VHS goes for a some high bids on ebay.

24. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I was at Best Buy on Sunday and was Stove shopping with my wife and I forgot to pick this DVD up:(

I will get it sooner or later!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.