The "Beatles For Sale" album (1964). Unfairly ignored or underrated ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

:eek:

The UK pressing had a gatefold sleeve??? First time I've ever seen that ...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Evil though it may be, I have always enjoyed listening to Beatles 65 and Beatles VI more than Beatles For Sale. The monos aren't horrible and the cover songs are more spread out.

There are lots of good arguments for Beatles For Sale being an important transitional LP, but the fact is I rarely play it.

Mackaveli likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Always did but it was made slightly different after 1969.

andrewskyDE and Lucretius like this.
  4. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

Never heard about this, what differences are there?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

So boring. Don't make me look it up. From memory: The word STEREO is smaller, the lamination is different, inside construction. The typesetting is different, some of the words are different. The variations are endless but they also protect us from getting a mismatched cover with the record.

If someone advertises this as having a "rare gatefold cover" I wouldn't buy anything from them (see above).

My lids are closing even typing this. :^)

andrewskyDE and RockyRoll like this.
  6. Directly compared to other "Pop" albums of '64, it has a large profile & is well appreciated/respected.

7. You must be listening to the album!
    :laugh:

8. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

I've heard of the inside construction changing around 1970-71 or so (when the 2-Box labels started being issued, changed from inner flipback to standard gatefold and you can find 2-box issues with both types) and I can tell the lamination is different, comparing my Abbey Road and UK Mono Help to my 2-Box BFS... I like the earlier better.

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Beatles on auto pilot but still better than any other pop/rock record from 1964

10. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

Was listening this morning. Kind of seen as a throw away compared to other Beatles albums, but it seems to be one of my favorites for John/Paul harmonies. They really seemed to enjoy singing together during this period, and I love it.

Mackaveli, J Alesait and Dan The Man1 like this.
  11. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

Unfairly underrated. Love the covers. Love the original gems. Love that fair weather fans don't know the treasure that it is. It's like a deep album of deep tracks.

sixtiesstereo and Seltarb like this.
  12. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

How I rank (and tier) the BFS tracks:

Eight Days A Week

I'm A Loser
    No Reply

Every Little Thing
    Words Of Love
    Rock and Roll Music

What You're Doing
    I'll Follow the Sun
    Baby's In Black

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    Kansas City/ Hey Hey Hey

Mr. Moonlight
    Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby

Honey Don't

Mackaveli likes this.
  13. DeadLoss

DeadLoss Well-Known Member

A definite 'meh' album. They're tired; it shows. Some of the tracks could be Freddie & The Dreamers.

Mackaveli likes this.
  14. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: "From A Window" was lyrically too similar to "No Reply" (although obviously very different musically). "It's For You" was Lennon & McCartney's first waltz. George Martin was impressed enough with it, that he suggested that they attempt to write a waltz for themselves. The first draft of "I'll Be Back" was a waltz (as evidenced on the Anthology CD), but when that didn't work out, they cooked up "Baby's In Black." After that, there were songs in ¾ time on every album except for "Revolver" and "Magical Mystery Tour" ("I Want You, She's So Heavy" goes in and out of ¾ time).

15. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Here’s my take, lifted from another thread on a similar topic.

No Reply is introspective and pained. Lennon uses the love song genre as a means of articulating his disillusionment with being a Beatle and the hollowness of success.

I’m a Loser similarly plumbs the depths of identity within the conventional pop song, brilliantly exposing the struggle between success and self-respect. The album opens with two of the band’s most questioning numbers, really challenging material.

Baby’s in Black is bluesy and the dissonant guitar opening and solo are among Harrison’s best. More loss and disillusionment; a fine, biting song.

Lennon’s version of Rock and Roll Music is simply killer. Great vocal, much better performance than Twist and Shout. On the shortlist of best Beatle covers. Outstanding.

I’ll Follow the Sun gives us more melancholy. A bit callous lyrically, but musically beautiful. This album uses acoustic guitars as musical textures very effectively.

Mr Moonlight is saved by the outstanding Lennon vocal. Beatle sense of humour in evidence here.

McCartney’s love of Little Richard delivers another great cover with Kansas City.

Lennon later dissed Eight Days a Week, but what a fantastic song. It sounds like it belongs on the previous album, full of excitement and a dynamic performance.

Words of Love is competent enough. As Buddy Holly fans the Beatles deliver a nice enough homage without breaking stride.

Honey Don’t is just another Ringo number. Pretty ordinary.

What a gem is the next song, Every Little Thing. Purportedly written by McCartney but sung by Lennon it is a fine celebration of that first flush of love. If you don’t understand this one you are probably already dead.

I Don’t Want to Spoil the Party is sophisticated and intense. An adult pop song; Lennon looking forward to the more sophisticated lyrics to come.

What You’re Doing is a powerful number, focusing on McCartney’s problematic relationship with Jane Asher. Cool riff and a nice expose of vulnerability.

The album ends dismally with Harrison’s unconvincing cover of Everybody’s Trying to Be My Baby.

The album cover is less a product of exhaustion than, to me, an attempt to match the brooding intensity of the Stones’ album covers. Complete success. Stunning.

In conclusion, Beatles For Sale is a very good album, let down by only a couple of tracks. IMHO, they did not better this effort until Revolver, a very different kettle of fish.

16. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Nice review Douglas. But I'll have to disagree about the cover of Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby. I think its nifty, not unbelievable but nice. As good as any of the other 6 covers more or less imo.

The best one might be Leave My Kitten Alone.

17. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Neither! Not by me, it's always in my car! With 6 others. Never tire of them after more than 50 years. Lol Ringo's the reason I played drums most of my life!

Seltarb and Dan The Man1 like this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

With..
    Eight Days A Week/I'll Follow The Sun
    on it ya can't go wrong.

19. Prudence1964

Listening to Beatles for sale over and over lately. Some of their best vocally. John and Paul really working as a team.

20. William Smart

Johns intro to Mr. Moonlight! Killer ! And I love the cheesey organ. Lol

Seltarb likes this.
  21. Prudence1964

I'm just fascinated by any song where John and Paul harmonize together and this album is full of them. And, I don't even mind Mr. Moonlight. Everybody's trying is the only one I tend to skip

Seltarb and Dan The Man1 like this.
  22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

To me Leave My Kitten All Alone was let down by the recording of it. Even for an album that had the drums buried as much as this album, Kitten had them almost gone.

23. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Perhaps there was some disappointment about this album because after AHDN LP ( all songs Lennon/McCartney originals ) they returned back to the inclusion of 6 covers, the old formula from their first two LPs, and this was regarded as a step back creatively (and it was, in fact).

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  24. William Smart

Hmmmm any song J&P harmonize in? You a Beatles fan what got it bad.... I should know. Hope there's no cure

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  25. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Let's see...I completely agree that it is a good to very good album. And quite remarkable given the particuar circumstances.

That said, it is clearly not one of their best. The only other Beatles album which I consider weaker is the near-disaster Let it be.

This is a very difficult subject because the Beatles are so good and BY FAR the best group all-time. I bought this album when it came out in 1964 and it was a joy to listen since. So it is not as good...compared to what? Obviously compared with the most extraordinary body of work of any musicians ever.

And yes, lack of top-notch material triggered covers which by then was a step back. But they rebounded in no time!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.