The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour - mono or stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Brian,

Listen again. The backwards voices are most clearly evident right after the line "Well it only goes to show".

For the album, I used to prefer the mono but now I'm not so sure, after listening to the stereo yesterday. It's nice to have both.

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:confused: I'm not Brian, but I sure can't hear them, no matter how loud I crank it. As far as my ears are concerned, absolutely none of the backwards vocals/drums track appear in the mono mix. :shrug:

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My bad. I thought Brian meant he couldn't hear the backwards vocals in the stereo mix.
    For the record, I can't hear them in the mono mix either.

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Ah good, thought maybe I needed to drop some acid to be able to hear them or something. :D

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Perhaps what that website is saying might just be poorly worded. I'm thinking they might mean:

"The stereo mix includes a backing vocal track (mixed in the centre) that is used far less in the mono mix. The stereo mix also features the vocal track reversed at various points of the song, starting after the first line of the first verse. There are no backing vocals at all on the mono mix until the second chorus".

Actually, the lead vocal is also reversed on the stereo, not just the background vocals (it sounds to me like the entire track is reversed - perhaps the finished mono mix!).

6. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I had the mono version first which was ok until I got a cassette version in Italy. This copy was the German stereo version and it was quite revelatory. When I got back in the states I found the German vinyl pressing and this is my "goto" version.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have both the mono and stereo EP and enjoy the both. They both have their merits.

8. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

If I had to choose one, then it would have to be mono

But the German Horzu is nice

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  9. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Mono for me, which surprised me having preferred the stereo Revolver.

10. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Mono.

11. It's close and I enjoy both, but I'll go with stereo. I guess it is because I grew up with the 1987 CD and don't like some of the differences in mono.

12. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Like them both, but prefer the mono.

13. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

But even in the mono version, there is a real discontinuity when the 2 different takes are joined at the 1 min mark - not as marked as the stereo version, but still noticeable. Just listen to the drums, there is a totally different acoustic which is still very distracting. But agree, mono is preferred.

BTW - still my favourite Beatles track, love this song, shame that they couldn't get it all done it one take.

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

MONO for the most part, especially the side 2 songs. The stereo mix of Baby You're a Rich Man just sounds totally wrong without those twangy bits at the end of each line. All You Need Is Love sounds anemic.

rxcory likes this.
  15. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

No, I was replying to the thread which stated "hardly used" for the mono mix when it sounds like it wasn't used at all.

16. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I just bought a German APPLE on Ebay. Is this the same as the German HORZU?

17. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Yes, it is

18. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I like both versions but I prefer the mono version of "Penny Lane". McCartney's vocal seems to be overwhelmed by too much backing detail in the stereo version.
    The opposite occurs in "Baby You're a Rich Man" where that peculiar (keyboard?) instrument is almost totally lost in the stereo mix.

19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Stereo. Can't stand "Your Mother Should Know" in mono (the phasing makes it sound like a mangled tape), and then there's the missing backwards stuff in "Blue Jay Way"... apart from that, it just sounds so glorious in stereo...!

20. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Slightly confused, you had stated apart from that (two issues you mentioned) you prefer the stereo, but the issues mentioned had nothing to do with the stereo mix....

21. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

So far, I have compared only a few tracks. After a careful listening and A-B comparison, the following are my prferred mix.

I Am the Walrus (stereo) - This is the kind of song that should only be heard in stereo.
    Strawberry Fields Forever (mono) - The mono version sounds more magical.
    A Fool On the Hill (mono) - This song has started to bore me until I heard the louder piano sound on the mono mix.

22. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I have a GER stereo HorZu, copies of the mono and stereo UK EP set and a US Capitol mono LP. I listen to and like both mono and stereo mixes, but I seem to always gravitate back to the HorZu. There's just something about it...

Dale

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Bad phrasing on my part; I meant in addition to the those reasons for preferring the stereo, it just sounds so wonderful! The most colourful collection of tracks the Beatles ever did.

John Porcellino likes this.
  24. helter

helter Forum Resident

Sgt Pepper is wonderful in mono but I just don't understand how some people can prefer MMT in mono?
    The most dramatic upgrade in my life was when I bought the Horzu vinyl in the late 1970's.

The 2009 mono cd just seems like a step backward ....flat sounding without that magical separation of the music that fills the room in stereo.

Worst yet, try listening with headphones to the mono ......

25. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I have two ears which enjoy to hear different things - so I go for the stereo. Also the mono sounds like a faulty fold down from stereo sometimes with very ugly phasing here and there.

Bill Diercks likes this.