The Beatles 'Magical Mystery Tour' Super Deluxe Speculative Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

On the DVD /blu Ray MMT ( not VHS) who's idea was it to delete Lennon's " Roll up roll up " at the beginning?

OobuJoobu likes this.
  2. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

If we are to assume that the Beatles whole catalogue is to eventually be remixed, then at some point they are going to come to MMT.

So what should it contain? Apart from the film songs, it would make sense to include anything else from 1967 and 1968 that wasn't included on the Pepper or White Album remixes (as I can't see that any other tracks would naturally belong elsewhere or are sufficient in number for a release of their own). So we're talking about All You Need Is Love, Baby You're A Rich Man, Hello Goodbye and the four Yellow Submarine songs (I can't see this film getting it's own remix release). That would tie things up nicely.

3. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Yes, it was definitely B&W. I watched it myself on that first transmission. BBC1 only ever transmitted in B&W on 405 lines and it was only when the channel switched to 625 lines that it went over to colour (on 15 November 1969). BBC2, on the other hand, had been on 625 lines since it started and colour came to that channel on 1st July 1967. Hence it was able to repeat MMT in colour only a short time after the BBC1 B&W transmission. However, BBC2 was still a minority channel and not that many people had sets capable of receiving it in 1967 / 68. So not many people at all would have the chance to see that second transmission (and even if they did, it would still most likely have not been on a colour set!).

Yosi likes this.
  4. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

I have a, er, "gray market" CD from 1996 that has a bunch of then-unreleased (still unreleased?) tracks/alternate takes from Beatles films. Are some of the bonus songs included on the MMT Deluxe Blu-Ray the following (which are on my CD)?

"Blue Jay Way" - Stereo mix for MMT soundtrack, from Take 3. (Very different mix and noises, especially bass and drums.)
    "Fool on The Hill" - Early mix plus bass harmonica more prominent, also very little or no bass guitar.

5. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

As much as I'd love a deluxe package, it probably wont happen. All of these songs have been remixed and its possible to create a remixed MMT yourself! That's what I did so I can enjoy a "modern" sounding MMT alongside the new Pepper and White Album remixes.

MMT (2012 Remix from movie)
    Fool on the Hill (2012 Remix from movie)
    Flying (2012 Remix from movie)
    Blue Jay Way (2012 Remix from movie)
    Your Mother Should Know (2012 Remix from movie)
    I Am The Walrus (2012 Remix from movie)
    Hello, Goodbye (2015 1 Remix)
    Strawberry Fields (2015 1/2017 Sgt Pepper Box Remix)
    Penny Lane (2015 1/ 2017 Sgt Pepper Box Remix)
    Baby Youre a Rich Man (1999 Yellow Sub Songtrack Remix)
    All You Need Is Love (2015 Remix)

Pizza, shnaggletooth and maui jim like this.
  6. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

How do you get these songs from the movie? To play as mp3s in iTunes ? To burn to a cd?

7. Pretty.Odd.

Ripped the audio from the Blu Ray to FLAC files and then converted those to mp3s to put into iTunes.

8. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Does anyone here have a photo of the Magical Mystery Tour 2012 Deluxe box alongside some of the more recent Beatles Anniversary boxes, to show a size comparison?

I'm looking to get the 2012 MMT box but I have a few "shelf storage management" issues I need to think about before adding my next box set!

From some unboxing videos I've seen on YouTube it looks like it should be smaller than, for example, the 2017 Sgt Peppbox, but it's not easy to tell when they aren't shown alongside these products for comparison.

Thanks to anyone who can help! :)

alexpop likes this.
  9. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

It’s slightly smaller than a 10” record sleeve if that helps! It’s also slightly thicker than the White SDE.

DK Pete, longdist01 and OobuJoobu like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What did you think of The Beatles CD-EP box Magical Mystery Tour?

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I would like MMT released as a 5.1 album, the boxes don't interest me too much really.

boggs likes this.
  12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

How’s this ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I was listening to The Alternate Magical Mystery Tour this morning. Must be an import. :)

14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Absolutely perfect, thanks very much :righton:

DK Pete, FJFP and longdist01 like this.
  15. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

After ignoring the 1966 mix of Strawberry Fields Forever on the Sgt Pepper box I hope they find some place to issue it.......MMT would be the obvious place, unless they ignore it again. And how about an upgrade of the promo mix of Penny Lane, no that would admit they screwed up the first one.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  16. TommyTremor

TommyTremor Walkin' the boogie

Twelve minute version of Flying.

17. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

When I ripped the blu ray (the one from the boxset) to be able to extract the audio files, every single track had the first second or less removed, which I found strange and kinda infuriating.

18. Pretty.Odd.

Yeah, its pretty impossible to get perfect. A few of mine have parts of the film in the beginning or end. And in the case of the title track, it has the John Lennon narration at the end. It's better than nothing and they sound GREAT. I'd love an official stand alone release or even download of just the songs.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Pretty.Odd.

The promo mix of Penny Lane on the Pepper box was actually laughable. There are better rips of it on YouTube!

20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

is the MMT box worth owning?

I have the Horzu
    US 1st press
    Cd stereo box - both monos
    Blu ray of film

Beatles 1 videos
    ANthology DVD

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For me, it's worth it for the vinyl EP's well as the softcover book that comes with it. It's simply a very nicely put together box...but the bluray of the film is what matters most ; not only does it look better than ever, the song remixes are superb, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.