The Beatles - Mix variations etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

The video mix is stereo. AKAIK the only talking over on the VHS/Laser Disk version was the MMT theme song. On "Blue Jay Way" the original mono mix has no backwards effects. Ron Furmanek's remix for the video is the first time a stereo mix comes close to the original mono. I have a "project" I'd like to do someday - to lift all the music off the VHS version I have. That's why I know about the narration on the MMT theme (and bus sounds) but it's worth it to get the alternate "Rolllllll Up..." on the intro.

2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I don't want to start rumors, but I always thought the mono "Things We Said Today" on the US mono "Something New" was a different mix from that on the UK mono "Hard Day's Night" LP. I realize that mastering, reverb, etc. can change perceptions. Does anyone else hear differences between the two?

3. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

No. It's fine on my copy...

Derek

4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Four songs were supposedly mixed for the original cd release of 1962-1966. A Hard Days Night, Can't Buy Me Love, And I Love Her and Eight Days A Week.

They do seem a tiny bit different (vocals being much clearer). Some believes that i's just a different master, but acyually it makes a some sense if these were remixed since at that time the stereos of those were considered inadequate, and their respective albums were only on cd in their mono versions.

5. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I don't believe this to be true.

If I remember "Can't Buy Me Love" and "All My Loving" had their stereo image reduced, but no remixing took place.

The wiki page initially said some tracks had been remixed but this was corrected some time ago.

@lukpac will probably chip in.

EDIT: or @slane :)

Kim Olesen, lukpac and slane like this.
  6. slane

slane Forum Resident

I'm sure they're the same mixes, some are just 're-balanced':

All My Loving - vocals in right channel brought towards centre
    Can't Buy Me Love - channels narrowed slightly
    A Hard Day's Night - channels rebalanced so vocal is no longer pulled slightly to the right
    And I Love Her & Eight Days A Week - same as original mixes

EDIT: Nobby beat me.

Kim Olesen, lukpac and Nobby like this.
  7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Not disputing this at all but I clearly remember mention of them being remixed at the time. Maybe even the copyright date on the original CD edition would confirm.

Not sure why EMI would announce that they were remixed if they weren't.

8. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I've spent the same time listening trying to figure this out and I agree with you as well.

slane likes this.
  9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, the copyright date is 1993 for the mixes appearing here for the first time. (The same way the clean intro version of 'A Day In The Life' has a 1988 date). It doesn't mean that they are remixes though, just the date of first issue for those particular digital masters. (The 3 dates listed are 1987 for tracks from the CD albums, 1988 for tracks from Past Masters plus ADITL, and 1993 for the 5 early tracks in stereo).

Nobby likes this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Well there are two differences on AHDN. One is that the treble dropout the beginning is not there on the original 62-66 cd version. The 2009 remaster has the acustic guitar MORE centered than the [lets call it] 1993 version. That contradicts that the 1993 version should have been narrowed to make the vocals more center. (this is very noticeable in headphones when a/b-ing the the versions]. The 93 version also runs very slightly faster (about 1/4 of a second), but this could very well be down to tape transfer.

Another very noticable difference, to my ears, is that the vocal dub is placed different on the two versions. While the lead vocal does not move when a/b ing the two versions, the dub moves far right when a/b-ing. If the 93 was just a wider stereo the lead vocal should move a bit too.

The eq on the vocals also makes the dub stand out more [or blend less if you want] than on the 09 version. And this is with compesating eq on the 09 version since it is not as trebly.

11. slane

slane Forum Resident

Hmm, I'll have to have another listen sometime.

12. Kim Olesen

Can't buy me love: Listen at 1:19 [aprox] The lead guitar is double tracked, we all know that. Underneath is the original solo which they couldn't throw out of the mix because it leaked into other mikes. On the 09 remaster that leak strays to the left of the stereo picture at this point. On the 93 it stays dead center. This could point to different compressor settings at the mix phase.

Edit: not dead center, but does not move on the 93 version whereas it does on the 09 [to my ears].

09 master runs a whole 1/2 second faster btw. Does not prove anything one way or another.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  13. Kim Olesen

And I Love Her: Definitely the same mix.

14. Kim Olesen

Tiny Can't Buy Me Love tidbit: I Can't shake the feeling that it's not the same reverb. The amount is roughly the same (though a waveform of the 93 shows it a bit softer) but it seems thicker in timbre on the 09 master than on the 93. This is after compensating the little difference in volume there is between the two. Listen after the very first "can't".

15. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Thanks a lot. I went and found this thinking it was legit. Guess I missed the wink...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.