The BEATLES "Paperback Writer" ... In mono!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by obcbeatle, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obcbeatle

obcbeatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whoaaa ... now I remember why I bought The Beatles Mono CD's. I forgot what a difference the mono version of Paperback Writer sounds to the stereo version (like night and day). Man ... the guitar riff is so much hotter centered in mono ... love it!! Glad now I have the mono and stereo! :thumbsup:

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The mono version is also 7 or 8 seconds longer at the fade, so you also get more of it too!

3. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Absolutely!

Next to the mono "Revolution" it is maybe the most prime example of why you need the mono mixes to fully appreciate the group. In fact, those two songs are maybe the greatest evidence of why mono is such a "must" for many 60's recordings. And this coming from someone who is split about 50/50 in terms of listening to the group in mono and stereo.

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Arnold!
    Come join us at the Hendrix 2017 thread.
    We need to light this place up with Hendrix experience speculation On the upcoming vinyl box set! :righton:
    Beave

Celtic and 905 like this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Oh God, there's an upcoming Hendrix box set.
    Man, I all ready 3 of those. Is there really another box set worth of unreleased material?

6. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

So much punchier in mono. The only thing I miss, from growing up with the stereo mix, is the timing and decay on the vocal delays.

In the stereo mix, it's reliably "PAPERBACK WRITER ER ER ER er er" with the delay repeating the end of "writer". In the mono, the handoff to the delay happens early at least once, repeating the middle of the word "writer", "PAPERBACK WRITER ITE ITE ITE ite ite".

Flowing off the end of the word just feels more correct than having the middle of it explode.

supermd, BeatlesBop, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  7. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Glad someone else has brought up the mono version. PW/Rain is one kick ass single!

I have the mono vinyl box and when a few beers get shoved down I always reach for 'Past Masters' and play that single. You all know the 'Frere Jacques' in that song I hope.

8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

9. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

HAHAHA

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mono rules on this one.

2141, Adam9, andrewskyDE and 3 others like this.
  11. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Paperback Writer was one of the first Beatles 45's I added to my collection. I knew I needed the powerful mono punch of the mix immediately. Came coupled with a nice Capitol Picture Sleeve too.

Adam9, daveidmarx, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Back in the days of exclusive singles there was certainly a great deal of craft and care put into those 3 minute marvels.

Bevok, Benno123, Fender Relic and 7 others like this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Kicks ass in mono, no doubt, but the stereo on the UK Hey Jude export LP is no slouch, either. Clean and clear with some powerful bass guitar and wonderful on the vocals. If push came to shove like in a desert island dilemma I'd opt for the mono, though.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Comparitively speaking (and as far as the original mixes are concerned), Rain benefits from mono even mores so than PW...the bass drum is stronger the vocals are *much* more cohesive and the guitars are sharper. Stereo separation melts the song away.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I may get kicked in southern hemisphere for this but I think Giles Martins' stereo "1" remix of PW compares favorably to the power of the original mix:hide:

FJFP, bhazen, The Beave and 9 others like this.
  16. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Devil!!!!

john lennonist, DK Pete and Drifter like this.
  17. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Lady Madonna also rocks much better in mono than in stereo.
    And then there's my personnal favorite example of the (most of the time) superiority of mono mixes vs. stereo mixes when it comes to the Beatles: "Baby you're a rich man". In the mono mix the piano is put though a kind of a Leslie rotating effect, which is amplified at the end of each verse. While in the stereo version, well.... it's just a regular piano sound. When you remember that in 1966/1967 the Beatles wanted everything not to sound like real instruments (cf. Geoff Emerick), you understand that the only real "Baby you're a rich man" as wanted by the Beatles is the mono one. :)

FJFP, BeatlesBop, Adam9 and 5 others like this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

And to think I passed on this.

Because it's in Mono.

Having bought Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane and All You Need Is Love/Baby You're A Rich Man.

With both of these cassette singles...being in mono.

19. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

It's one of the best remixes on 1.

The original stereo is a bit weak...

bhazen, DK Pete and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've only played that a couple of times and liked it too. The original mono on either the UK 45 or the Mono Masters LP are the best I've heard these two tracks sound. The only problem with the 45 is it's cut so loud it's very difficult to find one without groovewear distortion. But it's a real rocker.

I've never liked the original stereo mix.

FJFP, Bevok and DRM like this.
  21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Instantaneous flash shaming mob assembling as we type...

Drifter likes this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I thought so too but the bass is a bit on the shy side which is much better on the mono.

Jose Jones and DK Pete like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My favorite mix of PAPERBACK RIDER (as I called it as a kid) is the bootlegged mono (no slap echo) mix. I think it was the mix before they added the effects. Has the high-hat counting, etc.

So solid. Ends cold and you can hear the erased Mellotron at the end. You know the mix I mean?

maui jim, DrJ, swampwader and 11 others like this.
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I suddenly got a red alert text alert about the mob assemblage.

And a slight electric shock via my laptop.

It's amazing the technology they have these days.

25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Mellotron should never be erased.

But what do I know?

Jose Jones, rcb30, bhazen and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.