The BEATLES "Paperback Writer" ... In mono!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by obcbeatle, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

The only definite fact is that the basic line-up consisted of two guitars, drums and tambourine (heard on Take 1). There doesn't appear to be any added guitar overdubs.

swampwader, MoonPool and Arnold Grove like this.
  2. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Ringo's drums seem very loud in PW as well. Louder than most of the other songs.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

What do your instincts tell you, with regard to the lead guitar?

4. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I always thought the stereo version of "Rain" sounded awful - even on the 2009 remasters. John is too far left and sounds like he's singing in another room. The mono version is fantastic.
    "Baby You're A Rich Man" is another song that sounds much better in mono. You can hardly hear the clavioline (or whatever they call it) in the stereo mix.

If I Can Dream_23, DK Pete and chacha like this.
  5. slane

slane Forum Resident

Lead guitar: Paul
    Rhythm guitar: George
    Drums: Ringo
    Tambourine: John (percussion seems to be a regular choice for John on the basic tracks around this time ;))

supermd, forthlin and Arnold Grove like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks.

The odds of Paul playing the lead guitar just went up. ;)

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Slow Down
    Lady Madonna

Two more singles that sound extraordinary in mono, and weak in mono. I really dislike the staccato piano coming out of one speaker on the stereo "Slow Down."

forthlin likes this.
  8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The panning via the original stereo sometimes produces a gaping hole...a noticeable void... in one of the channels.

Similar to All You Need Is Love...at the beginning.

Their voices sound great in stereo.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This is why where the original mixes are concerned, Rain is better in mono. But the remixed stereo versions on "1" and Anthology are superb.

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I like "And Your Bird Can Sing" as well as "Got To Get You Into My Life" better via Anthology.

Rain is very good via the original stereo. This was a great period for the Beatles.

11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

12. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I'll see you for the 1 Stereo and raise you for the 1+ Surround for both PW and Rain. Makes mono versions sound like antiques.

Most people on this forum felt disappointed by 1+, but for me, most of it is incredibly powerful. Sonically it leaves mono in the dust.

With that said, I do understand how the monos kick harder than the stereo mixes of the time. Sorry to have gone slightly OT.

13. I agree, especially the Blu-ray. "Rain" sounds glorious, too.

DK Pete likes this.
  14. Ephi82

I am almost certain John played the rhythm guitar part (typical Lennon strumming locked in with Ringos snare) and that George and Paul played some unison lead guitar.

15. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I was a mono Paperback Writer fan until the 1+ mixes came out. This is one Giles got 100% correct - a bold steteo mix that keeps the riff loud like it is in the mono. By far my favorite version.

The Beave and Mark E. Moon like this.
  16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

This must be the version I grew up on, which would have been the Hey Jude album and 1962-1966 album...I had never heard that echo/delay on the vocals before

17. Ephi82

I was wrong. Confused the lineup for Day Tripper

DRM likes this.
  18. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Here you go...Paul himself tells you

19. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I think this touches on the heart of the matter -- it's all about the mix, not whether stereo or mono in and of themselves are "good", necessitating the other one be "bad".

20. This is why I prefer the studio version to any live versions - I want Paul playing bass on this, but I suppose it's not easy to play that bass lick and sing at the same time.

21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Though he did pretty well with it on tour in 66

22. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

It's paul - see the video I posted down the page

Arnold Grove and Aftermath like this.
  23. Onder

Onder Senior Member

On the released version (Take 2), there is a guitar fill overdub on the bass/vocals track. Played by George, twice in the song right before the vocals only section. The part is just half of the main riff. But not distorted like Paul's lead, it's rather clean sounding.

Ondra

supermd, slane and Arnold Grove like this.
  24. Onder

Onder Senior Member

It was on Unsurpassed Masters vol. 3 CD I purchased in 1996. Cost me a fortune.
    IIRC, the ending bit is not Mellotron but the Abbey Road jangle box piano sent through a leslie speaker.

Ondra

DrJ, slane, forthlin and 1 other person like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yep and yep. I misremembered.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.