The Beatles Past Masters- come up with a better name.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The Beatles logo. Design trivia

The Beatles are arguably the most popular group of all-time and the Fab Four’s contribution to music, film, literature and art, and fashion has spanned generations.
    [​IMG]But what about the famous Beatles’ logo. Was it designed by a band member or someone else entirely? Good question. Known as the “Drop-T” design, the now famous Beatles’ logo was based on an impromptu sketch by instrument retailer and designer Ivor Arbiter in 1963.

Ringo’s drum kit.
    The logo was first used on the front of drummer Ringo Starr‘s bass drum, which Beatle’s manager Brian Epstein and Starr purchased from Arbiter’s London shop Drum City.

According to Arbiter: “I had a phone call from the shop to say that someone called Brian Epstein was there with a drummer. Here was this drummer, Ringo, Schmingo, whatever his name was. At that time I certainly hadn’t heard of the Beatles. Every band was going to be big in those days!

The £5 logo.
    To fulfill the request, Arbiter hastily sketched the “drop-T” logo on a scrap of paper. The artwork, for which Drum City was paid £5, was executed by a local sign-writer, Eddie Stokes, who painted bass-drum heads for the store during his lunch hour.

[​IMG]

Initially a saxophone repairer and swing drummer, Arbiter made his name in drums, the design, manufacture and sale of which he was involved with for over 40 years. Arbiter tinkered in other musical areas and in the 1980s he was responsible for bringing karaoke to Britain. In 2001, Arbiter received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Music Industries Association before passing away in 2005. The Beatles logo has recently found a new, and younger, audience with the release of The Beatles version of Rock Band.
    [​IMG]

Purple Jim, boggs and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Bait and Switch the Singles- 1962-1966

Bait and Switch the Hits - 1967-1970

3. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

The Beatles in Stereo
    The Beatles in Mono

4. A Half Ounce of Aluminum and Polycarbonate with a Hole in the Middle Volumes 1 and 2

5. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

The Beatles - Songs That Were Too Good To Go On Our Albums

Keith V, Lemon Curry and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Guitar Groups Are On Their Way Back!

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Songs That NEMS, Apple And ABKCO Rejected For Our Albums

Lemon Curry likes this.
  8. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

Power, Greed And Corruptible Seed Vols. 1 & 2

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I prefer the original 'buggy' logo (which they kept using in the fan club for awhile)...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Well, those can be "bonus" tracks. But no, I would keep all the Past Masters songs the same + Free As A Bird and Real Love. That would cover all the US/UK tracks that were an A side, B side or EP track, and NOT released on an LP.

1 will never go out of print, so that exists to cover all the #1s, whether they are on an LP or not.

"The Singles" would be for the 45s (both sides), EP tracks and any loose odds-and-ends like the German songs. Pretty cut and dry, and the general public understands what a Single is, so it's the best marketing option.

11. Already taken, but I think this is the greatest title for a B-sides collection I've ever seen:

[​IMG]

beccabear67 likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Love it, too. The original meaning behind the name. Those insects...

beccabear67 and Tom Perry like this.
  13. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

I'd like to see the artwork for that one.

14. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

I like all of them.

[​IMG]

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow! I have never seen that logo before (on the drum head or anywhere else!). It must not have lasted very long. I don't really like it. The "Drop T" logo is much cooler.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    crispi and beccabear67 like this.
  16. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

Past Masters Vol. I - Kings of Stage
    Past Masters Vol. II - Don't Be Cruel

17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It lasted only until they got a sponsorship from Ludwig drums. Not sure of the connection but once there are Ludwigs there is the gravestone style lettering.

Also you have to remember I was a fanatic for The Bugaloos tv shows, I probably discovered them, The Evolution Revolution (on Lancelot Link), The Monkees and The Beatles (cartoon version) all around the same time, like age three or four. :agree:
    [​IMG]

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I think this rare logo fits perfect to their early EMI era (debut album and the first three singles). Wish it was used on the Please Please Me sleeve.

beccabear67 likes this.
  19. SergioPlayboy

SergioPlayboy Forum Resident

Never heard She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Feel Fine, Paperback Writer, Lady Madonna, Hey Jude, Get Back or Let It Be were B-Sides or odds & ends.

Shak Cohen and beccabear67 like this.
  20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Fabulism 1 and 2

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Beatles "Masters Past"

22. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Hits & Misses (sounds like something Capitol would have tried before settling on a title like "Something New" or "Beatles VI")

23. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Magical History Tour

FVDnz likes this.
  24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Beatles on Safari (original title of Revolver)

or

Etcetera

25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

The Rest of It.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.