The Beatles Remasters: Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

Please use this thread to discuss any issues, impressions or anything else relating to the mono or stereo Revolver remaster.

Thanks. :)

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

"Taxman" sounds very odd with all that tinking isolated into the right channel...

nespa?

:D

3. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I like this one, but I noticed that the bass at the very end of "And Your Bird Can Sing" was kind of faded out....also my copy has residue, some adhesive or something at the edge of the non label (playing side) of the disc!

4. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

With the talk for the last week about a major emphasis of the bass guitar, I wanted to hear songs that I felt utilized them, so I wanted to hear "I Want To Tell You" first. Outside of hearing more of the bass, I hear a bit more clarity in this (the stereo remaster) than I have in the past.

Maybe due to various podcasts and mixes elsewhere, I'm also singling out sounds I never concentrated on until now, such as that BBC broadcast where they isolated elements from a mono track of "Taxman".

5. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Here's a frequency analysis of Got to Get You Into My Life:

[​IMG]

This is the difference between the 1987 CD and the 9/9/9 remaster. If you wanted (for whatever reason) to take the 1987 CD and EQ it to match the 9/9/9 you would apply the curve shown in red. Looks like maybe a slight cut at 4,500 hz, a mid-size boost at 10,000 hz, and a pretty big goose for the bass.

Might be an insight into what the mastering engineers did, or might be the response of tape-deck/console/etc.

Interestingly the mid-70's single of this is the first record I ever bought! Just remembered that.

6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Erm...both graphs are red and marked "remastered", so which one is the '87 and which is the '09?

7. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

I took a listen to the remaster this morning and it sounds great. Nothing like the flat and thin sounding 1987 CD.

8. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

That's the left and right channel of the remaster shown. It shows the difference between the remaster and the 1987 CD, not the raw frequency response. The 1987 CD would be a straight line at 0.

This is the actual raw data plotted out:

[​IMG]

Not very informative, right? So I take the 1987 data and subtract it from the remaster data. Essentially I take the blue lines and straiten them out. I'm left with just the red lines, and only the differences in frequency response, not the total spectrum.

If you took the 1987 CD and applied the curve shown in red in my first post you'd get the remaster. (If everything else were equal, which I realize it's not.)

9. axeugene

axeugene It don't matter if yer by my side, I'm satisfied

Let me just chime in for a moment to say that on the drive home tonight I felt more enveloped into the richness of For No One like I hadn't ever before. It's like a warm creamy pudding in my mouth.
    I'm talking about the stereo version. I'm enjoying this one quite a bit.

10. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Generally excellent (stereo). The bass line on And Your Bird Can Sing sounds gorgeous. I'd forgotten just how strong this album is.

11. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I have listened to the Mono (Sorry Ox someone had to!) and although it could use a tidgy bit more bass, it is otherwise fine comparing well to my b/y mono lp.

12. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

With notes of black currant and pepper, no doubt.

:laugh:

13. doowopman

doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame

Can't wait to hear this one. :goodie:

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

To my ears, the 2009 stereo disc is a tremendous improvement over the 1987. Excepting BFS, I thought the 1987 Revolver was the worst of the bunch, so improving upon the 1987 shouldn't have been too hard but still... they really brought this mix alive. Taxman packs as fierce a punch as I've ever heard it. The bass throughout the album is very good. Tomorrow Never Knows sounds like the freakout it should be.

I hear much less top end on this disc than either the 1987 or my two-box vinyl. What we get instead is an overall fuller sound. Great job on this one.

15. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I hear overall improved presence from the stereo discs I've spun so far, and this one leapt out most. Greater definition even on the songs (like I'm Only Sleeping) slathered in ADT. For No One is indeed very warm and "there," with Paul's voice sounding very close.

16. Jan

Jan New Member

I don't know if I'd describe it as just a goose. More like a whole barnyard full of animals.

17. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I played this after lunch today and agree. That bass is marvellous. :righton:

18. I couldn't care what they did to it, if it sounds good to me then that's all that matters.

19. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

:thumbsup: Agreed. The "punchier" bass is a major improvement. I still dislike the extreme separation on the stereo CD, but it's not as bad when using speakers.

20. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Revolver pros and cons...

I listened to the Stereo Revolver over the weekend and the MONO Revolver last night, I liked the MONO better, overall--just meatier, but the Stereo is no slouch and a noticable improvement over the old CD.

As said upthread, you get sucked right into For No One, Eleanor Rigby, Here There and Everywhere, etc, all very moving...

My daughter confessed that I'm Only Sleeping is her fave on Revolver, a suprise to me.

Nevertheless, let me register a slight dissapointment. I expected the MONO Re if not the Stereo Re to have some kick **** Bass and 'from the tops of the mountains' drums (and vox) on Tomorrow Never Knows and She Said, She Said, two key tracks herein, but I did not get the goosbumpy thrust in the gut I'd hoped for, anyone else feel the bass and drums on these two rocking Lennon cut seems rather subduded, when they should be higher in the mix, and more in your space, face, head and heart, shaking all over... :sigh:

:D

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Stereo Revolver is the only disc I have not liked so far. Too much bass.

22. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Here There and Everywhere sound amazing at the beginning. (Stereo ver)

23. re: stereo Revolver:

Foobar2000,
    I can hear that 12k bump, it makes the treble sound sweetened, because they
    did the work at such a high resolution. Had they done this same work at 44.1/16bit,
    I'll bet that +3db at 12k wouldn't be anywhere near as pleasant (+3 in relation to
    the mids, also boosted +3db - which I take to be the gain of the disc's volume overall)

Very helpful graph, thank you. I hope you'll make us one for each disc!

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's about time this had some bass!

25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Got to get you into my life, sublime (Stereo).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.