The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper 50th Anniversary outtakes only (Content and Discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade166, May 28, 2017.

1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I was only referring to the sound of the Pepper outtakes and Frankenstein mixes on Anthology 2. Not a fan of some of the mix decisions but I really like the sound quality particularly on the voices. Overall the Anthology series was a mess with some awful sounding and badly edited outtakes taken from the Sessions project, a poor overall flow due to the mix of mediocrely recorded live cuts and studio outtakes, although any Beatles fan worthy of the term has to like Anthology overall because of some great rare outtakes that had never before been booted - Got to Get You into My Life, Mark 1, etc.

2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I hear ya, but I still think many folks, especially around here, didn't like the "sound quality" of the Sgt. Pepper outtakes on A2. Same reasons given... no noise rather smothering the sound and of course the decision to create outfakes in the hopes the material would sound more like proper alternate takes and not works-in-progress. Personally, I really enjoy the Anthology series as a whole. Yes, the idea to tie-in chat and interviews on A1 was silly, but overall, we got a lot of previously unavailable recordings, many of which were top notch. The remastered for iTunes set is a further improvement and I'm fortunate to have it from a lossless source. I still prefer the Pepper outtakes on the new set. They sound great. They sound like the session tapes, whereas the Pepper-era tracks on A2 sound less lively, are a bit muffled (some tracks, not all) and many are created outfakes. Of course these tracks are essential too because we get additional takes and mixing anomalies.... things we all enjoy and love to dissect. With a bit of judicious eq-ing and volume matching and they all fit together rather nicely, along with some boot-only sources, on a couple of CDRs and/or mix compilations. Ron

Ern and Paul H like this.
  3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

How'd you manage to get a lossless source, Ron? Someone claimed that the version available on HDtracks (or was it Qobus?) was the remastered one but no-one's been able to confirm.

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It was all legitimate. I don't think it was HDtracks, must have been Q. It's not available in lossless, at least in the USA, any longer. Ron

Paul H likes this.
  5. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

It's also a much better mix than the 2015 and that awful snare has been tamed.

Paul H likes this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Not sure if this has been noted anywhere in the hundreds of pages devoted to this release.

I just today discovered that having ordered the full box set from Amazon entitled me to a free download of the 2 disc set, so I can now easily listen to the alternate Pepper Giles compiled for the two disc set.

Nice bonus. Thanks Bezos.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I like it!

marmalade166 and Kim Olesen like this.
  8. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Where did you go to access the download? I tried seeing where I could download the two disc set.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I use the My Amazon Music app on my phone and select online music - recent - added, and then click on it to download

SixOClockBoos and rburly like this.
  10. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

When I think about it, the vocal ad-lib that John does at the end of the "Lovely Rita" outtake kind of works as a prelude to "Good Morning Good Morning" (for those people who like to make their own fan mixes).

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I know I'm late to this party but I picked up the 2 LP version from Sainsbury's ! No chance of warping in the summer
    heat in a cool supermarket ! Anyway now back at home I was really impressed with the quality of this issue, wonderful
    cover, thick well printed inserts, flat heavy vinyl, it seems a quality product. I've only listened once but the stereo remix
    was definitely a new listening experience. I think my jaw dropping moment was the drum roll in "When I'm 64".
    The only thing that I felt let this release down was the 2nd LP of outtakes. I was expecting an alternative version of the LP
    and the first listen was a bit disappointing. Nothing that made me think it would stand up to repeated listens.

DK Pete likes this.
  12. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I agree for the most part about the outtake disk, except for Good Morning Take 8 - very pleased to have that on vinyl.

The outtakes on the two CDs in the super deluxe box, more expansive and arranged in chronological order, is a more interesting listen. My gripe there is that they are CDs, as opposed to hi-res blu ray tracks.

13. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

[QUOTE="timnor, post: 17175867, member: 38034".....The only thing that I felt let this release down was the 2nd LP of outtakes. I was expecting an alternative version of the LP
    and the first listen was a bit disappointing. Nothing that made me think it would stand up to repeated listens.[/QUOTE]

What did you mean by you were expecting an alternative version of the LP? What would you have liked to hear on that disc?

14. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

What did you mean by you were expecting an alternative version of the LP? What would you have liked to hear on that disc?[/QUOTE]
    I'm no Beatles expert so I don't know what's available but on first listen the second disc didn't seem to hold together and flow well.
    I think there were some instrumental versions where I´d have preferred alternative takes.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Like the outtakes on box set. Interesting listen. Chronological setting is awesome. Wish it had been on blu ray but I'm greatful to get any outtakes from pepper sessions. The vinyl is an awesome listen. IMHO.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. Ern

Ern Senior Member

You're right, there are two guitars on When I'm Sixty Four.
    One, doubling the bass through the entire song and the other, the jazzy fingerpicking on the last verse.
    Maybe, George is playing one the guitars too, after all. My bet, is that the guitar doubling with Paul on bass, is him.

The Beatles often did the doubling of instruments, like Paul and George on The Night Before, And Your Bird Can Sing, Old Brown Shoe or George and John on Lady Madonna, Nowhere Man, Hello Goodbye...etc
    Also that guitar, that sound like a 12 string, doubling the bass on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and listening tho the isolated moggs, I have a feeling that the guitar solo on Maxwell's Silver Hammer, is doubled, by George and Paul.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Onder likes this.
  17. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Are you sure? I think take 1 of Getting Better is George and John on guitars, Paul on electric piano and Ringo on drums.
    That sound you're mentioning, I think it's a guitar.

18. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Definitely sounds like there's some bass guitar in there. I'm just listening in my car right now. Interested to know if it is or if it's guitar.

19. Ern

Ern Senior Member

There are some parts that sounds like a bass, but I think it's an electric guitar.

20. Ern

Ern Senior Member

I just listened to the outtakes on the Sgt. Pepper's deluxe today, and it got me thinking about the personel on the basic track takes of the songs.
    I think it goes like this (I excluded She's Leaving Home and Whithin You Without You):

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: Paul (guitar), George (guitar) and Ringo (drums);
    With a Little Help from My Friends: Paul (piano), George (guitar), John (cowbell), Ringo (drums), George Martin (organ) and Mal Evans (tambourine);
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds: John (guide vocal / shaker or maracas), George (acoustic guitar), Paul (lowrey organ) and Ringo (drums);
    Getting Better: Paul (electric piano), John (guitar), George (guitar) and Ringo (drums);
    Fixing a Hole: Paul (guide vocal / harpsichord), John (bass), George (maracas) and Ringo (drums)
    Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!: John (guide vocal), George (tambourine), Paul (bass), Ringo (drums) and George Martin (organ);
    When I'm Sixty-Four: Paul (bass), Ringo (drums), John or George (guitar doubling the bass);
    Lovely Rita: Paul (guide vocal / piano), George (acoustic guitar), John (acoustic guitar), Ringo (drums);
    Good Morning Good Morning: John (guitar), George (tambourine), Paul (bass drum) and Ringo (drums);
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise): Paul (organ), John (rhythm guitar), George (lead guitar) and Ringo (drums);
    A Day in the Life: John (guide vocal / acoustic guitar), Paul (piano), George (maracas) and Ringo (congas).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  21. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Can someone tell me what happened to the main, huge, months long Sergeant Pepper thread? It appears to be gone.

22. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Shaddam IV likes this.
  23. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

OobuJoobu and gottafeelin like this.
  25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

As someone who never heard a Beatles boot until this century, the Anthology series was amazing. Hearing stuff only read about in Lewisohn’s book was revelatory. It’s easy to be blasé about it but for a lot of people this was the first New Studio Beatles music in forever.