The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper 50th Anniversary outtakes only (Content and Discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade166, May 28, 2017.

1. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

They were not mixed out on Anthology 2. That was the original Take before they overdubbed the backing vocals.

2. Fillmore Midwest

Fillmore Midwest Forum Resident

Sorry, no. The backing vocals were added to Take 1. They are on the four track of the Take. When George Martin did Anthology 2 he presented the Take but with the backing vocals mixed out. This is documented all over. Yes of course the live take 1 did not yet have the backing vocals, but they were added later To Take 1. So as of now, they're on the tape.

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Yes he re did his vocals. And by the time he did the finished vocals they must have tried the edit of take 7 and take 25 (the version where John sings the first verse) because how else could He have decided not to sing the first verse on take 26.

Just my theory.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage! Thread Starter

One of the things I like about the When I'm 64 outtake is Paul's scat-singing at the end where the guitar would be on the released version

supermd, DeeThomaz and Kim Olesen like this.
  5. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

It's John playing the fingerpicking part at the end of the track.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  6. Kim Olesen

So we have yet a song George didn't play guitar on? He really did leave his heart in India.

7. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I've wondered if George wasn't a fan of the psychedelic period and didn't really want a part in it.

The songs he contributed in 1967 are overall weaker than the songs he wrote in 66 or 68 IMO. And his contribution to the other members songs was often minimal.

MsMaclen, Lewisboogie and Kim Olesen like this.
  8. marmalade166

I recently rewatched the George Harrison documentaries and noticed that George kind of had to be persuaded by Ravi to pick up his guitar again, although I don't think a date was given for this

Saying that, he seemed to like his guitar fine on It's All Too Much - although now I've said that I seem to remember that the main guitar is Paul... :sigh:

MsMaclen, Lewisboogie and Kim Olesen like this.
  9. Kim Olesen

I don't think he ever "un-liked" his guitar. He just had 1 - 1/2 years of not being that interested in being fab.

10. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Try slowing it down by 7%....killer.

Sean Murdock, Lewisboogie and RAJ717 like this.
  11. marmalade166

It was regarding his realisation that he'd never be 'that' great at sitar, even if he learnt it for a few life-times - along with Ravi telling him he need to get back to his roots. Both of these led him to remembering he was the guitar player in a great little Rock'n'Roll band!

Anyway, how bloody great is it hearing George instructing the Indian Music Circle musicians in the Within You Without You outtake using Indian musical language :edthumbs:

12. sab

sab Forum Resident

One of the vocal tracks (the one present during the entire song) is different. The other vocal track (present only during the choruses) is the same on the acetate mix as it is on the final mix. IIRC, The snare overdub and swarmandal (which were recorded on the "chrorus only" vocal track) are present on the acetate mix, while the piano is not (as it was recorded when John re-recorded his vocal part)

13. Kim Olesen

One of my fave moments. Paul: Keep the bassdrum loud, Ringo playing a bit and Paul digging it.

pantofis, FJFP and marmalade166 like this.
  14. marmalade166

God yes, I keep expecting Paul to say 'boom phlat. boom phlat' which I've heard somewhere by someone - what a great bit of studio chat! :cool: which is another awesome thing; aside from the studio outtakes we've also got all these great excerpts from the guys chatting whilst working out the tunes and how to do them

This could turn in to a mutual appreciation thread :righton: :D

FJFP, Sean Murdock, MsMaclen and 2 others like this.
  15. marmalade166

Ok, please be patient with me :D I'm trying to get my head round the Strawberry Fields take 26 speed 'issue'

How did they record it? I guess they recorded the backing track, but did they then slow the tape down on playback when John recorded his vocal, and that's what makes his vocal faster when it was played at it's original speed? :sigh:

Mark Lewisohn doesn't say that there was any speed fluctuation when recording the vocal, only that John's vocal is manic, exceptionally fast'

DRM likes this.
  16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Let me try 7%, I slowed it down 12 % yesterday - guess a tad too much?

17. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Hi, do you know the exact contents of each of the four tracks? Because I wrote about Take 1 "clean" as was actually recorded on my article but many fans like you and other good ones pointed me that no actual take 1 without the backing vocals was available (like if that wasn't possible? I mean, they have all recorded from this session right? or all was erased once they added the overdubs and made the final mix?) but GM did that mix, but EVERYBODY only talks about the Paul and George backing vocals but nobody talks about the double-tracked Lennon vocal during some bits that are also not on the Anthology 2 version, so.. do the backing vocals and John's second vocal track were recorded on the same track or in a different track? Do the multitrack tape of this take 1 exists and that's why GM could easily mixed out those vocals? Do we know the contents of each separate track?
    To me, again, it's better to have Take 1 without overdubs on the Anthology and final mix of that take 1 with overdubs (backing vocals and double tracked vocal) available on bootlegs and now on the Deluxe Box, GM intent to present (if he consciously erased or mixed out the backings but also the double tracked vocal) the actual take without the vocal overdubs, works for me, we have two different versions.

18. slane

slane Forum Resident

I think the slide guitar on Take 1 of SFF was also an overdub though, so a 'true' Take 1 as you are describing it wouldn't have that either.

Again, take numbers were primarily so the engineers could keep track of all the bits of tape. If the final mix had to be made from, say, Take 5, then that take needed to be easily identifiable as that would have all the final elements needed for the final mix. But 'Take 5' doesn't necessarily document what went onto that take at any particular time, whether it was a live part, an overdub or was reduced from a previous tape. Only truly 'live' takes would be as you are describing.

mikecarrera and Fillmore Midwest like this.
  19. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Wow! Spot on perfect! Thanx. I've replaced the official track with the 7% slower one as my "go-to" version.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  20. Fillmore Midwest

Fillmore Midwest Forum Resident

Exactly. All I was doing was answering a prior poster. . .the fact that they still call it "Take 1" means, it is Take 1. Sometimes when they'd bounce down a take that had all 4 tracks full (e.g., SFF take 6; listen on the intro to Take 7, where George Martin says "Strawberry Fields Forever, Take 7, remix from four-track Take 6"), they would give it a new take name so that more parts could be added to that and the new number would distinguish it from the previous version. That did not happen on SFF Take 1; they never bumped it down to another 4 track. So everything on the tape by the end of the day before they moved on to subsequent versions is still called "Take 1". That was all I was saying. It is not that Giles "added" the backing vocals or something. They're on the existing 4-track of Take 1. When George Martin did Anthology 2, he chose to make a mix of Take 1 in which the backing vocals were missing. Here, on the Sgt. Pepper Super Deluxe, all tracks of Take 1 are audible, so the vocals are there.

Lewisboogie, mikecarrera and slane like this.
  21. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Glad you like it! I do too.

RAJ717 likes this.
  22. marmalade166

The mix with the vocal from the very start is Take 26 RM9 (sadly not on the boxset) and listening to it, it could be a different vocal although with the effects and different mixing for the raw take 26 I'm finding it hard to tell...

23. marmalade166

Purple Chick did this in their own deluxe boxset and that's been my go-to version as well since hearing it :edthumbs:

Would you happen to know how much Lovely Rita needs to be slowed down by (percentage-wise) for Paul's vocal to be normal speed? Or does that make the track run too slow? I really like the alternate intro from Paul with him quoting Latin but his chipmunk-ish vocal is annoying me... :sigh:

RAJ717 likes this.
  24. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I just slowed it down 3% and it basically matches the released recording and sounds so much better too! Give it a try.

marmalade166 likes this.
  25. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

What are the main differences between Take 1 & Take 6 of She's Leaving Home? I haven't had the chance to study them as yet.