The Beatles: Sgt Pepper 50th Anniversary unreleased outtakes that are unheard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Thanks to SHTV Member Solaris, this is what is believed to be different in the new 50th Anniversary set:

I posted this elsewhere, but in case you're wondering, the following is a list (based on my own research from 20 years of collecting) of what's new/possible upgrade on the outtakes discs, meaning doesn't circulate on bootleg somewhere. Maybe a Gort wants to make this a sticky at the top of the thread?

DISC 1

1. Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 1] possibly an upgrade, and hopefully featuring the backing vocals this time
    2. Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 4] upgrade
    3. Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 7] upgrade
    4. Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 26] upgrade
    5. Strawberry Fields Forever [Stereo Mix - 2015] from "1"

6. When I'm Sixty-Four [Take 2] NEW although we've had a version of this from the Rock Band tracks for awhile

7. Penny Lane [Take 6 – Instrumental] NEW
    8. Penny Lane [Vocal Overdubs And Speech] NEW
    9. Penny Lane [Stereo Mix - 2017] NEW

10. A Day In The Life [Take 1] NEW material (part was available on Anthology)
    11. A Day In The Life [Take 2] NEW material (part was available on Anthology)

12. A Day In The Life [Orchestra Overdub] unknown, could be the full orchestra track from start to finish, which would be interesting
    13. A Day In The Life (Hummed Last Chord) [Takes 8, 9, 10 and 11] contains NEW material (we've had take 11 but the rest are unbootlegged)
    14. A Day In The Life (The Last Chord) unknown, maybe there's a count-in and we can hear the full 55 second fade and someone farts?

15. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Take 1 – Instrumental] NEW
    16. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Take 9 And Speech] upgrade from the circulating acetate, plus the speech is NEW

17. Good Morning Good Morning [Take 1 - Instrumental, Breakdown] NEW
    18. Good Morning Good Morning [Take 8] already on Anthology, may be remixed

DISC 2

1. Fixing A Hole [Take 1] NEW
    2. Fixing A Hole [Speech And Take 3] Speech may be from Rockband, but take 3 is NEW

3. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! [Speech From Before Take 1; Take 4 And Speech At End] Take 4 and speech are NEW
    4. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! [Take 7] On Anthology but ending there is mixed with the CV ending, so may have NEW material

5. Lovely Rita [Speech And Take 9] NEW

6. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds [Take 1 And Speech At The End] NEW
    7. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds [Speech, False Start And Take 5] NEW

8. Getting Better [Take 1 - Instrumental And Speech At The End] NEW
    9. Getting Better [Take 12] NEW - this may be an instrumental, as the vocals were added onto the reduction mix, take 14

10. Within You Without You [Take 1 - Indian Instruments Only] upgrade, since it already ciruclates from Rock Band
    11. Within You Without You [George Coaching The Musicians] NEW

12. She's Leaving Home [Take 1 – Instrumental] Probably an upgrade. I suspect they're including the cello transitions after the choruses, which GM edited out
    13. She's Leaving Home [Take 6 – Instrumental] NEW

14. With A Little Help From My Friends [Take 1 - False Start And Take 2 – Instrumental] NEW

15. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) [Speech And Take 8] NEW (basic track with guide vocal)

And the mono mix disc extras:

16. A Day In The Life [Unreleased First Mono Mix] NEW
    17. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds [Unreleased Mono Mix - No. 11] NEW
    18. She's Leaving Home [Unreleased First Mono Mix] NEW

I'm going to say this over and over: I still think they should release every second of sound from these sessions -- every demo, every take, every bit of chat, every overdub -- in a limited edition set, as Dylan did on his Cutting Edge set last year. I would argue strongly that Pepper warrants that kind of comprehensive treatment even more than Dylan, since it's THE watershed work of modern multitrack recording.

(Gorts please close this thread)

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Here's my take on CD2 regarding what's exclusive here, is also on Anthology (audio/video) and/or bootlegs. Because this is from the mastertapes everything sounds better than the bootlegs, and the mixes are I believe different than the Anthology versions

01 Strawberry Fields Forever [take 1]

Not on Anthology in this version (with superb backing vocals) although it has been booted many times in lovely audio. Annoyingly however, some nice mellotron noodling before the take starts is present on the bootlegs but missing here

02 Strawberry Fields Forever [take 4]

Not on Anthology but available on many boots in lovely condition

03 Strawberry Fields Forever [take 7]

On Anthology but has an excerpt of the drums from the 'heavier' cut crossfaded at the end. Anthology is also missing George Martin's slate/take call at the beginning. Take 7 is again on many boots in lovely condition

04 Strawberry Fields Forever [take 26]

Not on Anthology, but is on many boots, Annoyingly the boots have a bit of extra audio at the start, and is not faded down at the end, unlike the Sgt. Pepper Boxset version

06 When I’m Sixty-Four [take 2]

Not on Anthology and as far as I know hasn't been booted before

07 Penny Lane [take 6 - instrumental]

Not on Anthology and and unbooted AFAIK

08 Penny Lane [vocal overdubs and speech]

Not on Anthology and unbooted AFAIK

10 A Day In The Life [take 1]

Part of this take was used in the Anthology 'Frankenstein' version but not complete as it is here. More of it is featured on the Anthology video but still incomplete and with a voiceover from George Martin over part of it. Again, not booted (the complete take) before AFAIK

10 A Day In The Life [take 2]

Part of this take was used in the Anthology 'Frankenstein' version but not complete as it is here. Again, not booted (the complete take) before AFAIK although part of it does appear on bootlegs, which is edited from the aforementioned 'Frankenstein' Version on Anthology

12 A Day In The Life [Orchestra overdub]

Not on Anthology, but a small snippet is on Purple Chick's Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Deluxe Edition

13 A Day In The Life [Hummed last chord - takes 8, 9, 10 and 11]

Not on Anthology, but a small part of the final take is on Purple Chick's Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Deluxe Edition

14 A Day In The Life [The last chord]

Not on Anthology but part of it appears on bootlegs with George Martin's voiceover, taken from the Anthology video

15 Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band [take 1 - instrumental]

16 Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band [take 9 and speech]

Not on Anthology but an acetate that fades earlier (no Free Now etc.) and is sans the speech appears on bootlegs - although here it is in much better quality

17 Good Morning Good Morning [take 1 - instrumental breakdown]

18 Good Morning Good Morning [take 8]

Appears on Anthology and on boots, but here it has extra speech at the beginning

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    theMess, thekid87, George C. and 3 others like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Thanks for posting this information. I know it was mentioned at some point in one of the other Sgt. Pepper threads, but considering those are 10,000 pages long, it is nice to be able to review it here.

theMess, Sean, kolive and 2 others like this.
  4. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

There's a very detailed article on The Daily Beatle-
    SGT . PEPPER DELUXE EDITION: WHAT’S NEW AND WHAT’S NOT.
    By Mike Carrera

at: The Daily Beatle

5. Thanks!!!

6. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

I agree, nice clean, interesting and useful information. I'm still skimming through those 905 pages in the 1st thread and
    now up to 97 pages in the post release thread. I still don't understand how so little can be said in so much space.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Einstein's Theory of Relativity explains it all... ;)

theMess and Maidenpriest like this.
  8. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Is there anywhere that sells the audio from discs 5 and 6? It was out of $range and I am only interested in the audio. I love the remix and the alternates are fun, but I would love to give a listen to the music on 5 and 6, especially after reading comments here.

thanks!

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You might find some people selling either disc 5 and 6 in the Classified section of this Forum. I noticed a few already have been sold that way.

10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Same reason I settled for the 2 disc set.
    No use for discs 5 and 6 and I have the 09 mono even if slightly different than the 2017 straight transfer, it's still a remastered mono Pepper.
    Then between what's on my disc 2 of the 2 disc set and Anthology II, there isn't a whole lot left.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  11. voles

voles Forum Lurker

I was hoping this thread would be a discussion of which significant outtakes are missing from this release, that are circulated on bootlegs,.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  12. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

There are very few. A couple of outtakes of Strawberry Fields which are pretty similar to these newly issued takes, a scratchy actetate of Sgt Pepper song with different mix and Paul working on Penny Lane overdubs as taped by John, purpose unknown.

theMess, Lewisboogie and slane like this.
  13. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Nothing 'significant' then? No missing takes? The Penny Lane one is a mess and hardly an outtake I think.

14. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I've heard nothing else in 48 years collecting "outtakes".

15. voles

voles Forum Lurker

I rummaged through what I have and found these 'outtakes':

Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 3) 00:22
    Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 5) 00:45
    Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 6) 03:57
    Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 25) 03:51
    Strawberry Fields Forever (SI Onto Take 26) 03:46
    Penny Lane (Brass SI Onto Take 9 Session) 06:33
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Take 10, RM1) 02:11
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Sound Effects) 00:53
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (More Sound Effects) 00:36
    Good Morning, Good Morning (Sound Effects Tape) 01:36
    Within You, Without You (Take 2) 05:27

and sundry remixes

Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 7, RM3) (unused remix) 03:30
    Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 26; RM9) 03:24
    Penny Lane (Take 9, RM 8) 03:10
    Penny Lane (Take 9 - RM9) (unused remix) 03:28
    Penny Lane (Take 9 - RM10) (unused remix) 03:20

Not much that really adds anything I think. I like the sound effects tapes but perhaps that's just me.

RM10 of Penny Lane is close to the RM11 that was released as the infamous Capitol Promo so might have been included I suppose.

Maidenpriest and Lewisboogie like this.
  16. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Some other mixes:

Strawberry Fields Forever RS3 (1966 US stereo from Magical Mystery Tour) 04:10
    A Day In The Life (1982 stereo) 05:05
    Penny Lane (2000 stereo - Video 1) 03:01
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (1968 unused movie mono mix) 03:36 (with Jeremy)
    Strawberry Fields Forever (1995 anthology stereo) 03:38
    Penny Lane (1995 anthology stereo) 02:58
    A Day In The Life (1995 anthology stereo) 04:53

Maidenpriest likes this.
  17. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Can’t decide if I should get the Pepper Box or just the 2 cd anniversary set.

18. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Get the Box

marmalade166 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.