The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I hope it isn't compressed brickwalled what have you. People have the right to complain spending this type of money.
    Yes agreed my dear sir.

I hope everyone gets what they want.

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hahahahahaha!!!:laugh:

3. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

I think that definitely applies to audiophiles, but I think there's a wider audience for this new mix that won't dive into it as deeply as that. For example, I'm not an audiophile - my appreciation for this comes almost exclusively from the emotional impact. That means I'll probably be really forgiving of compression issues. I still haven't got my player to work, but I suspect I'll just be too immersed in the experience to think deeply about individual issues.

As always, that doesn't mean I'm right - it just means my view is that the number of people who will be deeply concerned about compression etc is going to only be a fairly small subset of the total customer base for this new remix.

4. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

Tony's DVD player update:

Exasperation level: high
    Success level: none
    Time before I have to go to work (where I'm in a safety critical environment and must turn all music devices off): 3 hours

5. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Rooting for you mate

autumn daze, PDK and deany76 like this.
  6. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

YES!!!

Rickchick, deany76 and FJFP like this.
  7. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I still wish for the price the box set had the LP - even if it was just the album itself and not the bonus disc. Alas, will be strolling in to HMV tomorrow after work with a massive smile on my face - got £30 worth of shopping centre vouchers to use up, but at least the hit won't be too hard...

Paul H, Mr. Explorer and andybeau like this.
  8. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

It is.

9. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

In this last day of anticipation, a final look at US Amazon pre-sales:

Deluxe Box: Number ONE

Vinyl: Number NINE

2 CD: Number TWELVE

See y'all after I've listened tomorrow.

LC

10. Mlle. Aurora

See my post above. Faultless pressings from Optimal.

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Thank you

Mr. Explorer and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  12. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I'm also not some purist audiophile, and I can tolerate and even sometimes prefer certain amount of compression, and I hope that the new remix will sound good. But sometimes the compression and tonal dis-balance that over emphasize the bottom end can result in quite sub standard listening experience, and there are some alarming reviews so far that this might be the case (DR7 for a song as naturally dynamic as ADITL for me is inexplicable). Also, some people that heard already the remix both on CD, BluRay and vinyl said that while the CD and the Blu Ray are equally limited/compressed and bottom end heavy, the vinyl is much more dynamic and balanced, while still compressed enough to sound more modern and "muscular". If this is really the case, someone who bought the super deluxe would not be very happy that he have to buy also the vinyl in order to hear the new mix in the best sound (despite the fact that he owns already the mix in hi-res). But I didn't heard still any of the editions, so we'll see (and of course - all first hand reviews now are important and interesting).

13. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The vinyl is outstanding

14. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Do all the CD's have the same DR values as this, if so this is disaster and an insult to the music and dedicated fans like us.

hlennarz likes this.
  15. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Fair point. However I think the 6CD box is mainly aimed to enthusiasts. And mastering shouldn't have been as lackluster for it. The regular 2 CD version Kenneth from Ontario is putting in his cars radio ? Sure. But for a 115ish buck investement, it seems careless.

Imho, i'm utterly disappointes by the lack of quality consistence. Penny Lane mighr be the icing on that cake.

Yes, the 1+ blu ray had brickwalled audio as well, but that one was aiming for a much wider audience with it's HD video clips of various beatle classics. And it was much more affordable for the general public, which doesn't care or know about “Loudness-War“ compression. So I let that one pass as “a little shame“. This time with Pepper, I can't personally excuse them for.

16. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Haven't got mine yet (Crying, Waiting, Hoping) so this is just a speculation. In prep for the new Remix, last night I played the vinyl Stereo mix for my daugter and son-in-law (tonight, we'll be playing the mono). My son-in-law had heard various tracks before, but never heard the whole LP front to finish. ADITL ended, the dog pricked up his ears, and the lock groove silliness started. My son-in-law nearly jumped out of his chair in a WTF? moment.

Maybe the Penny Lane promo mix is so bad, and the last one on the set, apparently, as a similar sort of silliness. Yes, it would be a weird choice of silliness, but this is the band whose last single featured the B side "You Know My Name." Any thoughts?

17. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

If the digital content is all brickwalled then we're back to needledrops I guess :(

delmonaco likes this.
  18. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Off-topic again but I never play original CDs in the car, especially Beatle ones. But then again I am fantastically clever and knowledgeable! :D

Mr. Explorer and alexbunardzic like this.
  19. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

that's what i thought when i heard the samples on itunes : the sound of the basses (guitar and drum ) sounds compressed and cold, the reverb effects sound metallic . i was just about to buy it, but this will be without me until i found it in a sales-yard for one buck. :realmad:

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
    seanjennings, The Beave and gja586 like this.
  20. Mlle. Aurora

Get the new vinyl set. You won't be disappointed.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh! Okay, I know the difference but I didn't catch it. Thanks! :)

ODIrony and deany76 like this.
  22. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

As a non-Beatle fan, it's thrilling to see such a set coming out. The Who missed the effing boat on both the "Quadrophenia" and "Tommy" Super Deluxe packages by leaving out more session material IMVHO and, as a result, are left lagging behind once again.

Enjoy it all of you as I'm sure you will but don't let the technicalities of compression spoil whet's in your hands.........

andybeau, oldturkey and evilpants like this.
  23. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

At the risk of incurring wrath, could someone once again quickly explain the meaning of DR? I zoned out during the previous thread?

MarkTheShark and Peachy like this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A what now? :confused:

:D

25. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

DR = Dynamic Range. The average difference between the loudest and quietest point of audio. A low dr value means everything is loud.

Check out “dr-database“ on google. You can see how you're favorite releases or different pressings of those compare.

deany76 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.