The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I agree with you, but Ringo apparently doesn't. There is an interview with him (Anthology?) where he says all he does is hold on to the beat because he can't hear the band because of the screaming. And that he didn't do any fills because they would get lost. But his performance in the Wash. DC concert makes him look like "the hardest working man in showbusiness!" and his work at Hollywood Bowl isn't too shabby either.

fogalu and Frank like this.
  2. Onder

Onder Senior Member

I Need You is well documented in George Martin's production notes. The "drums" in that song is Ringo thumping on the back of acoustic guitar and John playing snare drum on off beats.

Ondra

lukpac, Kim Olesen and slane like this.
  3. slane

slane Forum Resident

Pretty sure 'Kitten' only has a tambourine overdub, not snare.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

No, but it is proper forum etiquette and those who refuse to fill out profile aren't suppose to critique audio, good or bad. It's not MY policy, but the forum policy. And if you filled out a profile folks would have an idea whether you comments were on target or not. If you happen to listen via $20 ear buds via a cheap laptop, or streaming service, then you could be rightfully criticized for any negative comments you post. As for your hearing. How would I know whether it was average, above average or below? That's a silly comment to make. Ron

5. So by extension, all music should sound bad if listened to on $20 ear buds or a streaming service? Sorry, but I don't buy that either. In my experience, good sounding audio sounds good no matter how you choose to listen to it. High end systems may enhance the experience to some degree, but a bad sounding mix or mastering isn't going to suddenly reveal heretofore unrealized charms just because it's being heard on an audiophile system.

6. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Exactly. It makes no sense at all. I can tell if something is a good or bad mastering no matter what I'm listening through, and I'm sure other folks here can too.

7. brainwashed

Well, we agree to disagree then. And that wasn't even my intent. I said someone could be rightfully criticized if they voiced their opinion based on such gear. You can't say, for example, a source is bass shy if you're listening with $20 ear buds. You just can't. Or that a mix is smeary or there's too much compression if you're listening to crappy streaming sources. There are limitations and that's why members are required to fill out a gear profile if they want to critique audio here. Ron

Shaddam IV, Dee Zee, Tommyboy and 7 others like this.
  8. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Ringo's comments came later. This '64 show was one of the first of their first US tour. They were all still very excited to be here and had not yet become jaded from the extreme touring chaos.

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

When someone is critical about a mix I like a lot, mainly multichannel mixes, and I look at their profile and they are using tiny bookshelf speakers and bass management, I know not to take their opinion too serious.

There is a dude on Computer Audiophile forums that totally disagrees with your entire paragraph. He thinks a quality system will overcome all crappy recordings. I don't agree with that but just pointing out that many people won't buy your premise.

10. brainwashed

I would say music does not sound good on $20 ear buds. Sort of like saying music on our old transistor radios sounded great, when it quite obviously sounded like crap. It didn't affect our enjoyment of the music, but there was no way to tell if the mastering was good or bad. It all sorta sounded the same. No highs, no lows, no dynamics. Ron

11. Onder

Onder Senior Member

The problem is that you don't realise that some people just don't like the mixing decisions on the new remix. That's all basically.

Ondra

lukpac, Gems-A-Bems and slane like this.
  12. Hymie the Robot

Earbuds sound pretty damn good in 2017. Nothing like a transistor radio. Please try again.

lukpac and Keith V like this.
  13. brainwashed

Not $20 ear buds. They do not sound good in any respect. I'm not talking about ear buds in general, but cheap ones sound, cheap. period. Ron

Sidewinder43 and Frank like this.
  14. brainwashed

My friend, not liking or agreeing with mixing decisions is one thing, folks claiming Giles Martin is incompetent, or an amateur or a complete hack is altogether different. And some folks here have said those very things. Not you and not most people, but some have and those doing so are just trolling for affect. Ron

15. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Ringo on "I Feel Fine" is basically doing the drums from "What I'd Say", From Paul:

"The song itself was more John's than mine. We sat down and co-wrote it with John's original idea. John sang it, I'm on harmonies and the drumming is basically what we used to think of as What'd I Say drumming"

16. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

I thought that the better the system is, the more faithful is the reproduction of sound with more nuances and therefore modern overly loud mastered releases sound even worse?

17. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Even a starter "high end" system does more than "enhance...to some degree".

You've got to be able to hear the material to truly critique it. That's why the profiles are there.

18. Hymie the Robot

I wouldn't go that far, just like I don't agree with the dude on CA that claims everything sounds great on his setup. ...answer lies somewhere in the middle.

19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Not a real rock band? :crazy: Please. They did other styles as well of course. They liked variety. They were eclectic, wide-ranging and sophisticated, especially in the studio.

20. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

The joke is that you don't think the Beatles were a great rock band.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  21. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Willy, you are silly. Go to a corner and Wonk.

Shaddam IV and Sgt Pepper like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just a review of the 2 cd pepper 2017 set.

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

At times they were heavy rock. Some of the earlier stuff like "Money" was heavy rock for the times. "Paperback Writer" has a monstrous riff. And of course the White Album has "Helter Skelter" etc. The final album has "I Want You" which is perhaps the heaviest thing they did. They were popsters balladeers and hard rockers

24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

They were a pop / rock band who could do hard/heavy rock. Revolution still sounds loud and nasty, must have blown some minds in 1968

25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

To be fair he has made some missteps. The perception that he may be a "hack" may not be shared by all but the fact that it's shared by some should not be a surprise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.