The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I swear I actually did that an hour ago. I had a few drinks and I put on the new Sgt Pepper and even boosted the bass!
    (The wife has gone out of town for the weekend!) :D

2. I just listened to the new mix last night for the first time in six weeks or so. It may have been the medical weed, but it sounded great in the headphones.

3. You boosted the bass???? :faint:

JP Christian likes this.
  4. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Man the wife has gone out of town, sexist I know but I am so jealous right now, me and Pepper have a date with nearly maxed out volume through my KEF's if this happens.

Psychedelic Good Trip and fogalu like this.
  5. fogalu

I've just got a sub-woofer for the first time in my life. I've gone bass mad!
    I'll probably calm down in a few weeks - or months.
    But since 1967 - probably due to my equipment - I have never had enough bass on Sgt Pepper. So I'm making up for it now. Bear in mind the fact that I have very mediocre speakers but I just got a cheap Yamaha subwoofer.
    And I did say I had a few drinks!

Tim Müller and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  6. fogalu

It actually does sound fantastic on headphones.

The B-tles, Shaddam IV and Sgt Pepper like this.
  7. Sgt Pepper

Mine too. Sounds amazing mate.

Shaddam IV and fogalu like this.
  8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

To give some context.

It's not the remix I don't like, it's the mastering.

In my opinion it's mastered too loud for me to listen to the mix as I would like to.

What I don't know is whether the mastering was done after the remix or at the same time.

I'm thinking here of how Steve Wilson's remix of Thick As A Brick was spoiled by some subsequent mastering that he was not involved with.

And for some more context, I thought the Hollywood Bowl CD was far too loud.

Baby's In Black from that CD, for example, is to my ears, much louder than the version that was issued on a CD single - I can't remember which one - at the time of the Anthologies.

Same problem with the Yellow Submarine songtrack - too loud.

I understand that record companies want to sell their product and, given the way many people listen to music nowadays, they will decide to master the CDs they release accordingly.

However, that doesn't mean I have to like them.

Conclusion: I don't like loud masterings of vintage classics or, in the words of Brian Wilson, I just wasn't made for these times....

9. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

I actually think it sounds better on my BMW premium car stereo system than on my headphones or loudspeakers. Anyone else feel likewise?

Tim Müller likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, lend me the keys to your car, and then I'll let you know ... ;)

11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It's never up to us to have someone removed from a thread. That's a Gort's job. And a thankless one at that. Ron

ShallowMemory and goat65cars like this.
  12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I expected the remix to be brickwalled---no surprise there! Still sounds wonderful. You can hear overdubs more clearly(The beginning keyboard part of Fixing A Hole--part of it is an overdub).

The two discs of outtakes sound crystal clear. Worth springing for the entire package. As are the posters, and the marvelous book.

A wonderful packge!

Tim Müller, fogalu and goat65cars like this.
  13. fogalu

I'll let you know as soon as I get a BMW premium car stereo system. ;)
    Or even a BMW.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Well, yes, if the brickwalled remix doesn't bother you...

Wugged and vonwegen like this.
  15. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

One troublemaker gone. Please, do not respond to knuckleheads, or you will be thread banned yourself. Report the post and let us handle the response.

willied likes this.
  16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Why don't we just thread ban the whole lot?

:evil:

vonwegen, Raf and Jerry like this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

18. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Still would like to know why they used that crummy source for the Penny Lane promo. Somebody has the inside skinny.

Evan L and Tim Müller like this.
  19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

So far, no reason given. At first it was suggested by one of the principals involved that it was an acetate with provenance, but no confirmation. Ron

20. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Yes, you are right. I played it a few times in the car. I feel, the new loudness maximized re-mix is suited for car playing rather than at home. With the mximized loudness on this 2017 remix, even the details are brought up to front and cut through the noise of the car and the traffic.
    However, at home, if plays worse than earlier releases.

To explain this a bit more.
    On the original stereo mix, details were just that: Details in the background. Focus was on vocals and important instruments. Lesser important instruments or even sound effects were details in the background, meant as to sublty enhance the sound.
    Of course, you can hear these details only, if you listen in a silent surrounding. Because, these details are at softer volume. Any noise or babbling in your living room would be as loud as these details, and would mask them.

On the new re-mix, modelled after the original mono mix, the loudness was maximized. Hence, all details are brought up front. All the details that earlier were softer sounds in the background only, are made louder, to compete with main instruments or the vocals. (In this respect, we don't have no details in the background anymore, because all are in the foreground.)
    That's why people suddenly find with this new re-mix, "the details are clearer than ever! I can even hear this and that in the bridge of this or that song."
    While others, listening to the same new re-mix, feel that everthing is screaming at them at full throttle.
    I know, all these details are heard better in the ne re-mix than in the original mix, when you listen at a soft low volume (or in noisy environment), because they are louder in the new re-mix.
    However, I like to listen at loud but still moderate volume, in silent environment. And there, I feel the new version is overly mximized.

Best regards

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  21. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Well there is gazillion of each mix and as long as there is electricity and ones and zeroes we will have both until entropy does the universe in.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  22. Sgt Pepper

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The sound people hear is not just an opinion. It is what they are hearing listening to this recording. Probably on a more revealing system than you have. I do have to accept some people brought up on modern digital releases may have become tuned into loud mastering. This is as much an audio forum as a music one so you are going to have to put up with those of us who have fairly discriminating tastes in sound reproduction.

Tim Müller and bobcat like this.
  24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

If they had to do a needledrop, they should've used a clean copy of the U.S, Rarities LP.

Tim Müller likes this.
  25. Sgt Pepper

I am 55 and stuck in an era whereby excellent SQ is quite important, the sound people hear is just an opinion in most cases as there is no set baseline of standards as in Video (Rec 709 etc), so those of us who don't know the first thing about digital media and are fairly discriminating in sound reproduction can tell the difference between loud mastering and in my opinion an excellent sounding release.

goat65cars likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.