The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Nah, the Beatles catalog is fine art, don'tcha know. It's not a commercial enterprise designed to generate revenue.

Tim Müller, Gila and bobcat like this.
  2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Rubber Soul purpose?

3. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

So I am saying it's nigh on perfect and I trust the engineers @ Abbey Road than your judgment.

4. Sgt Pepper

When a new scan of a film is made this can be made up from various prints negatives, or upgraded video from say 2k to 4k etc to get the desired result creating a new master from which other copies can be made.

A film can be cleaned up, scratches removed, imperfections on the print in much the same way as tapes, but has to be done correctly as with Pepper remix to give it a fresh much-enhanced look while not taking away the original intent.

5. I think that Ringo's best drum sound is on Please Please Me (the entire LP).

6. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

Curious as to what you're hearing specifically and how you come to this conclusion. I think you're on to something actually. Good dynamics and clean sound and even hear bass pedal squeaks too!

7. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

They sound fabulous on my system and my ears.

8. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

That was the stereo mix with the trumpet ending tacked on. So, it wasn't the original promo.

9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Let you off the ball and chain for a little while, eh? :D

fogalu likes this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Pepper and a buzzzzz. Oh the memories of years back. :D

11. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

That seems like a logical explanation. Maybe they pulled back on the explanation because of the initial negative reaction. Still wish somebody would fess up. I'm not unhappy about, just want to know. FWIW, I think it could have been better, but it's acceptable.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I also find it hilarious when you have detractors of the remix call the original stereo mix "magical". I don't find the original to be magical in any way, shape or form. It's not a bad mix and was actually pretty good for 1967 standards, but let's not go overboard, just because you hate the remix.

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Quality isn't a matter of who they are or what their reputations are. It's about the work they have done, and the proof is in the hearing. Also, they did not do the remixing and mastering only to please themselves; rather, they have clients and consumers to satisfy. Opinions naturally vary, and they preferred, I think, to find a happy medium as best they could. The reason they took a "purist" audiophile approach for the mono LP reissues, is that that was more of the primary audience or market for that product.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Tim Müller, bobcat and Gila like this.
  14. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Ya know, I just like listening to the Beatles. Capitol, Parlophone, Apple, master, remaster, mix, remix, stereo, mono, duophonic.... Doesn't matter. I like 'em all. It's kind of nice to be able to see the forest and the trees!

15. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Perhaps by "magical" they mean trippy and psychidelic, in comparison with the new mix that's more straight rock (or even hip-hop or r&b)

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If people are using the word "Magical" to describe the Sgt Pepper album, then I'm going to use the word "Peppery" to describe the Magical Mystery Tour album ... ;)

17. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

The Washington DC show was their first actual concert in America coming after they appeared on Ed Sullivan show, then they flew to Miami to do another Sullivan show. Their first tour of America was later in the summer.
    And BTW, the location of that first concert still stands in DC and is being renovated.

DK Pete likes this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Hip Hop? Let's not go too far. The bass isn't annoyingly loud, not in that way.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Before they went to Miami, they first went back to NYC to play their two Carnegie Hall shows.

Dee Zee likes this.
  20. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Obviously I wasn't dead serious mentioning hip-hop... only half-serious...;)

21. Sgt Pepper

So let us take stock here, you are saying they @Abbey Road spent months destroying a release of Sgt Pepper to please " clients and consumers ", well would it have not been much easier and I am guessing less costly to have done an auto clean up and a very basic remix and be done with it, because surely the less knowledgeable amongst Joe Public would have been just as happy??

22. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Careful. Mixing album titles could start another thread. I already have visions of a rubber revolver!
    [​IMG]

ZippyPippy and Mister Charlie like this.
  23. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

OK yes, good to know. I knew that show was one of the first, didn't realize it was THE first concert here in the States. :agree:

Dee Zee likes this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I wish they would have done that with the stereo albums

25. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

How is the original stereo-mix magical? No flanging on "Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds" and "With a Little Help From My Friends," improper pitch-manipulation on "She's Leaving Home," one tape-loop track not being faded up completely on "Being for The Benefit of Mr. Kite," anti-climatic orchestral-crescendo on "A Day in The Life" (which the new-remix also fails to accomplish), and the fact that the drums and bass are buried throughout most of the original stereo-record. In fact, the balance makes it sometimes very wonky and dysfunctional, with either an overdub being too loud or soft, or a vocal being too upfront in the mix compared to the mono-mix... There, there. I also like the original stereo-mixes because I grew up with them. Don't worry, now. These are just my nitpicks that are subjective on every level, and these "issues" might seem like merits to you, person who likes the original stereo-mixes. But, those mistakes/decisions, at least in my opinion, take away the intended mystique and psychedelic wonder of the original mono-mixes. What do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.