The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voles

voles Forum Lurker

There is no new Mono mix - it is a new transfer.

oneway23, goodiesguy, B-Luna and 8 others like this.
  2. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Having known about this release for a while now and having no intention of buying it.....the hype has caught my attention....without having to have someone rehash the details (though I know rehashing what we already know is popular here on the SHMF :) ) can anyone answer this with short answers....unless someone can't bear to discuss it without expanding...;

1. The vinyl edition; is if from analog tape, digital, or a hybrid using some of each...?

2. Who are the engineers involved in mastering ?

3. Is this a limited release or will I still be able to get it say near Christmas time?

Thanks to all who chime in....it is a pleasure getting input from everyone so inclined to offer thier.....

deany76 likes this.
  3. voles

voles Forum Lurker

1. Digital (Sadly not compressed)
    2. Giles Martin and Sam Okell
    3. It is not limited to my knowledge. The price will likely have dropped by Christmas.

deany76 likes this.
  4. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Actually I have few more hours (or a day may be) to decide should I cancel my Amazon pre-order of the super deluxe box, and to order instead the vinyl version plus the 2 CD version for about half of the price of the box (I'm interested of the outtakes, but i'm not so crazy fan to want all possible outtakes, so perhaps the 1 CD selection of outtakes instead of 2 would be ok for me. I also don't care for multi channel. Only wonder if the mono CD from the super deluxe is really worth having...I just can't afford at the moment to buy all editions, even the super deluxe on it's own at this particular moment is a bit over the top for me financially. Still wonder what to do..:) Suggestions?

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

I placed my order for both the Box Set and vinyl editions with Amazon Italy, fortunately my order had not yet been despatched so I've cancelled the order for the box while keeping the vinyl order open.

mikrt17, delmonaco and c-eling like this.
  6. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

Huh?

7. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Sadly mine was allready shipped. I'll still like to rip the new mono transfer and the blu ray's hi-res brickwall audio legally before re-selling it.

8. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I had my own private "unboxing" this morning, the big deluxe, the 2-disc set and the vinyl double LP's. EVERYTHING is stunning. Such detailed work. They can start engraving the Grammy Award. I did not listen because this deserves a few hours to enjoy. Like a Thanksgiving meal, it's going to take a day to enjoy. P.S. it looks delicious

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  9. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Without hearing it? Simply based on someone else's numbers? All I have heard sounds to good to me but each to their own...

Jayseph, goodiesguy, spindly and 12 others like this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Vinyl was cheaper for me from Amazon France.

11. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Yes, don't bias your expectations just on my personal view please. I'm just personally sensitive to compressed audio. It doesn't give me quite a headache, but a sort of "pressure" feeling that is unpleasant to deal with.

The Beave and voles like this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

PEPPER doubt what have we.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

I'd rather cancel now than spend £100 on something I'll never play, also I'll now listen to samples from friends and read further SQ reviews here before deciding whether or not to take the plunge.

14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I'm present.

Waiting for my 2 CD set to arrive

15. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

@hodgo:
    I guess that's more reasonable after all. It's not like the set is limited to a thousand pieces or anything.

hodgo likes this.
  16. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

I fixed my player today, oh boy.

And now a lucky man can hear the songs...

17. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Never realised how large Studio one Abbey Road is.
    Can someone confirm - that Sgt. Pepper was recorded in Studio One and also was the balcony there in 1967?
    Oh, and the orginal Beatles audition was that Studio One? and was the parkay flooring there then.
    thanks
    Google presents Inside Abbey Road

18. Godbluffer

Godbluffer Forum Resident

Well, I see my DR complaints - which went almost ignored, or were disparaged in that huge previous thread - based on listening to the three tracks that have been released on Spotify/Tidal, etc, have been confirmed now. Seriously, one doesn't even need the numbers to hear how squashed it all sounds. Sadly, the new mix of especially LITSWD really seems to gel well, but any advantage is lost beneath the (near) brickwall. :mad:

Christopher B likes this.
  19. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

The digital 2017 Remix is DRM 8. The rest of the box sounds breathtaking. DRM 11-12, I believe.

SixtiesGuy, Mark Wilson and PDK like this.
  20. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Seriously? You buy your music based on DR values? The outtakes alone make the set worthwhile... and hearing the remixes in the entirety is different than listening to a few samples. You think Lucy In The Sky sounds cold and metallicy? Oh well. Ron

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
  21. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

Btw I do completely accept the opinions/worries/complaints of those who are talking about the limited dynamic range and other decisions that can worsen the listening experience. I don't look down on those views at all - in a sense, you're telling me "yes you'll have an emotional response to this new remix, but they could've mixed and mastered it in such a way as to give you an even deeper emotional response".

I totally understand that. I'm a bedroom music producer (aka "I make music that no one else will ever hear") and I can feel the difference in my response to my own music when I reduce the dynamic range too much. It's enjoyable, being able to feel the air in the music.

22. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Thanks, I appreciate the clarifying. I'm fairly new here, and in the context of what's being discussed, I assumed DR to be Digital Release. But I do know what dynamic range is, and now it all makes more sense.

Christopher B and thxphotog like this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This rarely happens but I'm getting anticipation goosebumps waiting to hear the box set. :)

24. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

In the previous thread someone showed the DR for the 2009 remaster and the DR for the 2017 remix. The newer one has a smaller DR.

I've not seen any data on the hi res and 5.1 versions.

I am not inclined to jump off a cliff on this issue until I see more data, or I listen to my box tomorrow.

25. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

The stereo hi res version uses the same master as the regular CD. The only difference is the regular CD is downsampled to 44.1khz and dithered to 16bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.