The Beatles she's leaving home correct speed mono or stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, Jun 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Real speed of what?

There are two separate parts: the instruments and the vocals. I think it's generally agreed that the instruments on the stereo mix are at the natural speed. There is no agreement on the natural speed of the vocals, which may be heard on the mono mix, the stereo mix, or neither.

I think it likely that the mono mix represents the intended speed, as the strings were recorded on a Friday, with the vocals recorded and the mono mix done on the following Monday. The stereo mix was made a month later, when the speed details may have been forgotten.

Magnus A. and slane like this.
  2. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

well i think there is a consensus that the mono is speedied up, its less certain the stereo is slowed down.

Meddle likes this.
  3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

No. The stereo has slowed-down vocals and "correct" orchestra. The mono has sped-up orchestra and "correct" vocals

goodiesguy, Paul H, Drifter and 2 others like this.
  4. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay

905 likes this.
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Disagree.

Meddle likes this.
  6. Gems-A-Bems

The orchestra is in concert pitch on the stereo.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Just to clarify... this theory is not based on any direct evidence (ie, documentation or testimony of those involved), right?
    I assume what he's disagreeing with is the assertion that the stereo has slowed-down vocals, not the comments about the instrumental backing.

If I'm understanding correctly, what we know for a fact is that the instrumental backing is correct speed on the stereo, and sped up on the mono. We do not know for a fact which vocal is the correct speed, and everyone's just offering their opinions, which are derived solely from which version they believe sounds "right."

8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I thought this was the case as well. For She's Leaving Home and When I'm 64, didn't Paul record his vocal with the tape manipulated to make him sound younger/higher? Probably an influence of the cocaine. Either way, to my ears, it sounds like the same effect was applied to these two songs all the way through, and the Ahhs on A Day in the Life and Lovely Rita--though not the lead vocals of those songs.

9. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I wonder if Brian Wilson told him thst he sped up Caroline No to make himself sound younger.

beatleroadie likes this.
  10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Good question! Possibly. Or maybe Paul just listened to it and figured it out. After all the Beatles had already experimented with beri-speeding and reversing vocals. But you're right, Caroline No definitely has more of the She's Leaving Home vibe than anything else the Beatles were doing around that time.

Chuckee likes this.
  11. Gems-A-Bems

When someone says that both have elements that are "correct", that neither and both are the "right" ones, then how are you figuring their supposed "bias" comes into play?

Meddle and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  12. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Pun intended?

goodiesguy and Meddle like this.
  13. muffmasterh

and you know this for certain or you just think Paul naturally sounds on helium ?

Meddle likes this.
  14. Gems-A-Bems

Unintentional.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  15. muffmasterh

no it is not okay as opinions are now being stated as facts.

I believe that Paul's vocal is sped up on the mono and sounds un-natural, but i am leaving it to others to prove or disprove this with some definitive facts if there are any.

Meddle likes this.
  16. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

According to the Fab Four Free For All podcast this weekend, the mono is fast, while the stereo is more accurate to the actual recording process.

muffmasterh likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If Paul is doing the Ahh's on "A Day In The Life", then the stereo "She's Leaving Home" has slowed-down vocals and "correct" orchestra.

If John is doing the Ahh's on "A Day In The Life", then the mono "She's Leaving Home" has sped-up orchestra and "correct" vocals.

;)

18. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

"When you're listening late at night
    You may think the band are not quite right..."

goodiesguy, Tristero and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  19. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident Thread Starter

My opinion is the same as yours Paul's voice sounds a little unnaturaly high in mono

muffmasterh likes this.
  20. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Member

According to "Recording The Beatles", the mono mix was done with the oscillator set to 53 Hz, raising the pitch of each track a full semitone. The stereo mix (in the Beatles' absence) was done at normal speed. No sign of varispeed during recording or reduction mixes.

In my opinion it is totally evident when listening to the mixes. Both the voices and strings sound very unnatural in the mono mix.

21. Gems-A-Bems

@slane may be correct that after recording the mono mix may have given the vocals an extra push faster. But that would mean the mono is "entirely wrong" as opposed to the stereo merely being "half wrong".

22. Gems-A-Bems

No, because there is no mix that plays everything at the "real" speed.

Meddle likes this.
  23. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

That we agree on.

Meddle likes this.
  24. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

They sped up the tape to make Paul sound younger because his voice was getting deeper and he also grew a mustache, which made him look older... ;)

Meddle likes this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I didn't say anyone was biased. But again, my understanding is that we know for a fact that the stereo backing track is the correct speed, but we don't know for certain which version (if either) has the vocals at the correct speed. Am I wrong about that? If not, then all pronouncements that have been made here about the vocals are speculation, derived from whichever version the speculator believes sounds right.

muffmasterh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.