"The Beatles (The White Album)" sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MichaelXX2, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I agree that it's not a great sounding album and I have many many different versions of it. But the sound is part of the character of the record. It wouldn't be the White if it sounded pretty. But I understand your perplexity.

2. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I love the way the WA sounds, Every pressing I've ever owned.

When I was a kid, an orange Capitol reissue and a TDK C-90 were my best friends.

Sometimes literally.

Turmatic, ArpMoog and ubiknik like this.
  3. telepicker97

Absolutely, 100% agreed. That's what made it so cool, that the Beatles realized that they had carte Blanche and took advantage.

Chrome_Head and ubiknik like this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Ahh those TDK tapes. I spent many evenings making countless Beatles mixtapes....

telepicker97 likes this.
  5. I never had a problem with the White Album's sound - it's no audiophile masterpiece, but I think it's pretty good. If "Bungalow Bill" sounds bad, I don't mind, because I always skip that song (and about half the other ones) anyway.

Joshua277456, Turmatic and kBear like this.
  6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This is somewhere in the neighborhood of my take on this lp, which is that it is all about the attitude -if it were a car it would be a rat rod: noisy, in yer face and jaw dropping as it goes down the street.
    Maybe that overstates it, but I have gear enough to tell the good from bad -but when the tunes and playing are at this level I take in the warts and all as part of the paint on the canvas. Tape hiss, odd miking, tube/valve rush/feedback and maybe some distortion are welcome in this type of recording -audiophile after the fact is just how clearly the warts and all can be heard. This idea wouldn't negate the better masterings and or pressings, rather they would enhance the experience, like that '78 UK white vinyl for export every one drools over.
    It's definitely an lp with character!
    FWIW, I don't mind Bungalow Bill, and maybe subliminally noticed the train wreck recording, but as a song it fascinates me because it sits where it sits, and just seems right there.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Donovan made a "Charleston" inspired piece the year before:

Dino, HominyRhodes and ubiknik like this.
  8. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I don't know about the 1978, but I can tell you the 1983 Capitol colorband reissue sounds really good. Not '78 UK good (I guess, I'm taking "experts" word for that), but very good in its own right. And as far as bang for the buck, it's a great sounding White.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
    wwright, joejoe and ubiknik like this.
  9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Glass half full / half empty. I guess we all have different ideas of what constitutes good & bad quality. Never had a problem with the white album. Its actually pretty good. Half full.

Fields&Lanes, Dino, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  10. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Post of the thread

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Agreed :cheers:

Mr. H likes this.
  12. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I have both, and they just sound different. The Capitol white vinyl is smoother and more relaxed in presentation. The UK is vibrant and has a "you are there" quality. I like both for different reasons, but favor the UK overall.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
    telepicker97 and joejoe like this.
  13. telepicker97

Yeah, people make it seem like the Capitol white vinyl is unlistenable, but the truth is, if you turn it up it sounds ok. It's just...quiet.

Nothing wrong with it.4

Listened to it tonight with my bandmates, hoping to do Yer Blues.

You could do a lot worse.

I have a white Capitol, an original US Apple stereo that I don't play, an Orange Capitol reissue in mint condition that I also don't play, a Mono Reissue that I haven't opened yet...so the white Capitol gets played a lot.

In fact, the Mono CD is the only digital version I've played since 2008 or so...so I've spun the white Capitol a LOT.

Just don't overpay for it. People act like they're gold. They're not - they're just cool because it's the WA on white vinyl. It's worth it for that alone.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    wwright likes this.
  14. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

Hey, does anyone know if there's ever been a thread along the lines of, "If you could edit the White Album from two LPs down to one, which songs would you choose?" If so, link please. I searched and can't find one.

Brian1958 and kBear like this.
  15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

There have been at least a couple, along with some threads about making the WA a 3-LP set.

I'm thinking how to make a Lennon "solo" album using his WA tracks and including "Revolution", "Hey Bulldog" and "Across The Universe". I wouldn't use "Revolution 9" and probably not "Good Night" It would be 13 tracks, 14 if including "Good Night". That would be a killer album!

Duophonic likes this.
  16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It sounded good on my RCA suitcase stereo when I got it for Christmas in 1968.

It has sounded good on every CD and vinyl version I've owned since then on any equipment I've played it on, even on my iPod in the car.

17. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I cleaned my UK white vinyl on my VPI 16.5, did a 2-step wash/rinse, and listened on headphones. It's crazy, I was hearing stuff - detail, presence, balance - that I don't recall hearing before, even on the CD. Frankly I didn't get the fuss about the UK white vinyl until tonight. wow!

YouKnowEyeKnow and wwright like this.
  18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Certainly a peak period for him!

19. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Good thread and fair point, it's not a great recording, and I agree, Please Please Me
    sounds magnificent, very clean, and for me their best recording, if not best songs.

MonkeyLizard, wwright and Robin L like this.
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I have the purple label Capitol on white vinyl. It sounds great. MUCH better than many here would have you believe.
    For comparison sake, in stereo, I also have the UK white 78, 1st issue UK, 1st issue US apple, UK black vinyl 80ish(blue box), and 2012. It holds its own

culabula likes this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Were you listening on headphones hitherto?

22. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

yep.

23. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I iTunes Matche'd my White Album stereo ripped from the 2009 disc, and it did fine - except for Back In The USSR. It matched the version from the blue album instead, so there is a fade to end instead of a crossfade to Dear Prudence.

24. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I have the HMV and I love it. The best version of this album on CD so far, until my SHM arrives.

25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Not trying to start another "What would you have left off the White Album?" thread, but it does clock in at around 93 minutes. How did you fit it onto a C-90?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.