"The Beatles (The White Album)" sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MichaelXX2, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

No, nobody has ever even thought about that before, let alone started a thread about it here.

quicksrt likes this.
  2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Some people are new here.
    Some people are new to The Beatles.
    Is it ok with you that we don't cut them off before they even get started?

3. Jose Jones

Not when it's obviously a troll post. :) The guy in question has been here since 2007.

bluemooze and Kim Olesen like this.
  4. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

It sounds like a band that didn't know what they wanted to be anymore. Decent but uneven recordings and material.

5. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread yet, but by the Get Back sessions in January 1969 George for sure had a copy of (or at least heard a copy of) the 14-song Dylan "Basement Tapes" publishing acetate, as he jams on "Please Mrs Henry" and asks Ringo if he'd "played any of those Dylan tapes", as well as lapsing into "I Shall be Released" and "The Mighty Quinn." While those later two were already hits in 1968 and they could have heard the cover versions by The Band or Peter, Paul & Mary and Manfredd Mann respectively, "Please Mrs. Henry" was not covered by anyone until 1970. Thus George had to have heard and learned the song from his own copy of the publishing tape.

But with that said, this was after The White Album was already released anyways, and I personally don't think the album was influenced by either The Basement Tapes or Smiley Smile anyways, at least not directly as some people want to believe.

TimWare likes this.
  6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd go for the one with the 45 minute version of Revolution #9.

7. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Closest I've seen is:
    How to make a single CD of BEATLES White Album?
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/how-to-make-a-single-cd-of-beatles-white-album.178084/

and these:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=81786
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=62730
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=54522

stereoptic likes this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

Love the content but sonically the WA is the worst of the mono LP set, IMO.

9. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I seem to remember a Lennon quote about the late records having "that dead Beatles sound". They didn't sound as wide and expansive as, say, "Lovely Rita" or "...Mr. Kite". Not so much the sound quality, but the production. Not expansive dreamlike psychedelia, but a drier sort of chamber music with fewer effects (for the most part).

It added to the experience for me. When I was a kid, I bought it because I was reading Ed Sanders' book on Charles Manson called "The Family", and I wanted to hear the album that was used by a cult. "Wild Honey Pie", "Happiness Is A Warm Gun", and "Revolution 9" scared the crap out of me, coming out of my Fisher Price record player's only speaker. I used to imagine the family dancing around screaming HONEY PIIIIIE while doing god knows what to god knows who. I was scared of hippies until my mid teens, mostly because I heard that happy album Sgt. Pepper. Of course now, I love them both, but I understand why someone would feel a certain way about White Album's sound.

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Wowsa.............

11. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

" I've heard the 1987 CD, the 2009 CD, and I'm currently listening to the 2014 mono vinyl of this particular record "

no exactly the best selection to make such a judgement from me-thinks...

12. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

My post was in no way a troll post. I'm not even much of a Beatles fan, but I do like a few songs off the White Album and wanted to participate in an existing thread instead of starting a new one. I figured there were already some threads about that subject, although they didn't turn up in searches.

13. Sweet Cheerio

14. Jose Jones

It's good to know that even casual fans want stuff like this:

15. Sweet Cheerio

Yep, and it would be even better as a box set with Carnival of Light.

16. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I find this thread puzzling. To my ears anyway, the White album is a great recording - though some tracks sound better than others. The album sounds great on my 87 CD and the 2009 remaster - heck, even my early press vinyl sounds good. Yer Blues on the 87 CD sounds outstanding on my stereo.

Chrome_Head, mooseman and culabula like this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

A song like Wild Honey Pie was for years one of my least favorites on the album. Then I heard it for those guitars and all the harmonies vocally, and the song clicked for me. There is a clarity in the recording that is astounding. Maybe the ability to do more overdubs without bouncing was not a bad thing.

Many songs on this album have exquisite recording quality. The acoustic guitars on Dear Prudence is another example. Julia is a nice one with nothing to complain about. I can't think of any that are poor quality recordings.

john lennonist likes this.
  18. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I think its the mixing. Listen to Helter Skelter from Anthology 3. The sound is so much better than the WA version.
    Ringo's drums have more presence on the Anthology version.

waaguirr likes this.
  19. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

The album seems to be out takes so I'm not really sure anything was produced and recorded for the best overall sound.

20. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

was going to comment,think of a basement tapes like experience.the beatles may be at least to me their most rewarding album.

Mr. H likes this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Have loved Wild Honey Pie since 22/11/1968.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

But the Basement Tapes hadn't been released yet. Unless, they got to hear copies of stuff. Wild Honey and John Wesley Harding are two back-to-basics albums that preceded The White Album by several months.

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The Basement Tapes weren't to be released for another 7 years at that point. But if Manfred Mann, Julie Driscoll, Fotheringay and John Walker had all had access to the original acetate, what the betting the Fabs had ?

24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It's not a remix; it's a re-mastering.

According to Bruce Spizer (Beatles on Apple Records pg. 118 and Swan Song pg. 270), since George was in L.A. working on Jackie Lomax's album, he stopped into the Capitol Tower to hear The Beatles. He didn't like how the album sounded and asked if he could help remaster it, which took place at Sound Recorders.

33 sets of lacquers were destroyed; however, one set of lacquers survived and was used by the Scranton plant (my hometown!) to press the album. (Look in the trail-off area for A28 and B 29 on all four sides)

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

exactly !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.