THE BEATLES: Their songs that were inspired by songs of other groups..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tex_Writer

Tex_Writer Well-Known Member

Currently reading:

The Beatles Lyrics - Edited by Hunter Davies

[​IMG]

Lots of 'sources' facts, rumor and details in that book.

petem1966 likes this.
  2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Talking of the ska section in "I Call Your Name", there's this:

Elvis - "Don't Ask Me Why" (from King Creole)

Kind of a similar feel to the middle section - maybe it is a Louisiana thing in this case?

Not exactly a particularly original progression but I wonder if Donovan would prick his ears up hearing the start of the original Harrison demo?:

Dononvan - "Hampstead Incident"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7dZ3QcUNWM

Not saying they are the same - just a partial similarity (of a well worn progression and its variations).

Strong Arthur Alexander influence on John's early songs (melody, chords, structure and singing style) :agree:

"All I've Got To Do" and "Not A Second Time" borrow heavily from "Anna (Go To Him)" and "Soldier Of Love".

margaritatoldtom and Revolver like this.
  3. geojo

geojo Forum Resident

Not sure which came first, but the sitar at the beginning of "Love You To" has always reminded me of the sitar in Donovan's "Three Kingfishers."

4. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

Thanks, I wasn't being argumentative. You gave me just what I wanted, namely a reliable source (John, from an interview) for the approx date of origin of the song.)
    So, it is indeed an interesting coincidence. Thanks again. :)

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Donovan recorded "Three King Fishers" in 'May 1966' according to this:

http://www.sabotage.demon.co.uk/donovan/session.htm

Harrison's tune was recorded in April - Donovan could well have heard it before it was released in August (not that there is much similarity other than the use of a sitar in a similar setting).

Edit: Just looked up "As I Recall It" and it was recorded nearly a year before Paul recorded "Honey Pie":

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  6. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Wow, indeed!

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That's Lovin' Spoonful 2, Byrds 1.

8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Here, There, and Everywhere" was inspired by Pet Sounds. "Please Please Me" was originally written in a slow tempo inspired by Roy Orbison. George Martin suggested they pick up the tempo. I've always wished Roy Orbison had covered the song in a slow tempo.

Hey Vinyl Man and theMess like this.
  9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I always thought Dylan's "4th Time Around" was a parody of "Norwegian Wood."

JimC likes this.
  10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

A
    And the Dillards covered "I've Just Seen a Face" on their great Wheatstraw Suite.

theMess likes this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Cross pollination. McGuinn was inspired by Harrison's electric 12-string guitar leads in A Hard Day's Night and Harrison wrote "If I Needed Someone " as a tribute to the Byrds. McGuinn covered the song many years later.

theMess and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I've always thought the "Sun Sun Sun" line in "Here Comes the Sun" was derived from the repetition of the word in "I Live for the Sun" by the Sunrays (written and produced by Murry Wilson).

Mylene likes this.
  13. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Which is how John got roped by Berry's publishers into recording more Berry songs, leading to the Rock 'N' Roll album.

14. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Specifically:
    New Jersey Turnpike in the wee wee hours
    I was rollin' slowly 'cause of drizzlin' showers
    Here come a flat-top, he was movin' up with me
    Then come wavin' by me in a little' old souped-up jitney​

Read more: Chuck Berry - You Can't Catch Me Lyrics | MetroLyrics

15. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

So? Never heard of time travel?

Tex_Writer likes this.
  16. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Also, on the 3rd Royal Guardsmen album with the weird little skits that preface the songs, one of the skits contains a crowd noise sound effect that the Beatles later used in "Revolution 9." Probably one of those public domain studio sound effects tapes.
    Never really noticed the similarity of "Airplane" song and "Ob-La-Di", but I hear it now. There's also a similar melodic and chordal progression in the old English folk song "Round and Round the Village."

17. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

John said a lot of mean and quite frankly, untrue things about Paul. He himself admitted as much. I took everything John said about Paul with a grain of salt.
    There was a lot of jealousy because of Paul's post Beatles success. But deep down he loved Paul more than he would have ever admitted.

18. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

You know it's quotes like that from John that make me question his basic decency as a person. I don't care whether or not he liked Let it Be or hated the song. That's just personal preference. But to outright lie, to knowingly tell a reporter that Paul lifted the idea for the song from Simon & Garfunkel's song -- when John knew that Let it Be was written and recorded first -- is just an incredibly lousy thing to do. Good lord, was it really that important for John to diminish his partner's reputation? And people only seem to care if John forgave Paul. They never seem to wonder how on earth Paul forgave John for that sort of purposeful sabotage.

Malicious doesn't even seem to cover it. So very disappointing to read stuff like that about John. I don't know that I believe John "loved" Paul at all. I see very little evidence for that.

19. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

I've just stumbled over the guitar intro of Cliff Richard's Move it - and I find exactly the same notes (with a different rhythm) in Paul's "Let me roll it" as well as in Lennon's "Beef Jerky".

Bobbo likes this.
  20. I was recently listening to the 2CD Ravi Shankar compilation below, which I borrowed from the library and no longer have in my posession. I instantly recognized the intro to "Love You To" clear as day in one of the songs on this 2CD set. Not sure which song came first, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is just a common musical passage in Indian music.

[​IMG]

21. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I agree, I think so too.

Thank you

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Beatles covered Move It on The Get Back Sessions

23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I always thought I heard a connection between Cathy's Clown and Please Please Me:

Mal likes this.
  24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.