THE BEATLES: Their songs that were inspired by songs of other groups..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Yes. Maybe more of a pastiche?

Folknik and theMess like this.
  2. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Actually Morris Levy published songs (Big Seven), only did 1 Chuck Berry song of the 3. Don't think Chuck
    had much to do with the settlement.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Man, I've never heard that one before... who sings it? Joe? I hear all kinds of stuff in there. Non-Beatles even. On the piano intro, I hear any number of Brian Wilson type poundings..... even maybe the intro to Badfinger's later 'If you Want It".... later in the track, I hear "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "She's a Rainbow" and three or four other things I can't yet pinpoint. If you slow the thing down around 1:48, you certainly do have the driving part of Strawberry Fields..... haha..... amazing.

4. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I'll Be Back has always sounded like they'd been listening to The Zombies.

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Joe, pretty sure. Big hit out here.

6. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

There seems to be a lot of "forgive me"s and "I'm sorry"s in his solo songs -- certainly many to Yoko. I think he tended to act, and later reflect. Maybe deep down he was thinking, in part at least, of his relationship with Paul on this:

7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The Zombies first record (She's Not There) was released the same week as I'll Be Back, so maybe they were both referencing something else.

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

He was definitely experimenting with his voice during those sessions, and I suppose that both Lomax and Canned Heat inspired him to sing in a different way.

9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks. :righton:

10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is a very good point. It is great that Fats went on to cover it.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And also produced by Richard Perry (Ringo's and Nilsson's fav producer):

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  12. Stu66

Stu66 Forum Resident

The middle 8 of "Free As a Bird" was heavily influenced by "(Remember) Walking In The Sand" by the Shangri-Las. The first two lines being almost word for word.

Hey Vinyl Man and JimC like this.
  13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Well as we all know The Monkees "Gonna Buy Me a Dog" was the inspiration for "Bulldog" and possibly "Martha My Dear."
    You may have to listen a few times or more to catch the similarities!

Also When John and Yoko were first dating they viewed "Gonna Buy Me a Dog" as "their" song. They almost recorded it on their Wedding Album, but thought it was too commercial.

Mal likes this.
  14. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

"Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" ---> "Long, Long, Long"

15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Rocket Raccoon was the inspiration for "Rocky Raccoon."

Even though Rocket personally seems to disagree.
    [​IMG]

Though he does agree to be the inspiration for their "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" phrase!
    [​IMG]

16. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

What, no Buddy Holly? Hello Little Girl sounds like Buddy Holly's songs to me. I'm thinking It's So Easy, but there's probably a better three chorder he wrote.

Mike Mercury's Supercar theme song influenced the instrumental break in McCartney's Live and Let Die song.

Sorry, I just realized those are solo Beatles songs, not official Beatles songs.

17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

That's okay, Springsteen actually owns The New Jersey Turnpike.
    Seriously, Springsteen often "quotes" --both lyrically and musically--from the great rock and roll hits. He also likes to "borrow" song titles.

Hey Vinyl Man, petem1966 and JimC like this.
  18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I don't think that you can be correct regarding What Goes On, simply because John wrote a major part of it in the 50's. He only revived it in 1965 for Ringo.

19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Exactly. The Byrds were hugely inspired by A Hard Days Night, and Harrison's guitar playing and guitar. What You're Doing sounds like the Byrds later would in many ways, and the Beatles recorded and released it in 1964.

Folknik and Paperback Writer like this.
  20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It definitely was inspired by 'Sad Eyed Lady', but I don't think that they actually sound that similar.

Also, isn't the music for Sad Eyed Lady taken from somewhere else? Maybe an old folk song?

21. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

John was a troubled soul. It drove him to greatness while also driving him into a dark dark place. He likely did love Paul in his own way but as the Lennon Sisters said in song, "You Always Hurt the One You Love".

theMess likes this.
  22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that he did love Paul, and that they were like brothers. Unfortunately, brothers tend to have the worst fights, but I think that deep down he loved him a lot.

This comment from one of his last interviews makes his position on the other Fabs clear:

''I am slightly resentful of George's book, but don't get me wrong - I still love those guys. The Beatles are over, but John, Paul, George and Ringo go on. I mean, just because I'm upset about George's book doesn't mean that's all I feel. Do you understand? I like them and it's over. Get it? I don't want to start another whole thing between me and George just because of the way I feel today. Tomorrow I will feel absolutely different.''

23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is very interesting; I have never heard that John played Let It Be to Paul Simon before. Where did you hear this?

24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yep as I said in another thread John would wear a badge (button) that read "I love Paul".

theMess likes this.
  25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I wonder what their feelings were about the Zombies in that era. They had to acknowledge that they were more sophisticated than most of the British Invasion groups, musically. If you take "The Night Before" and change all the chords to minor, it might sound like a Zombies song.

fortherecord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.