The Beatles U.S. Albums box set - your impressions ... (continued)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

According to Dexter, when he first heard IWTHYH, he wasn't told that it was The Beatles. He really liked it and was surprised when told that it was The Beatles. At least, that's his story.

2. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't think so. It sounds just like The Beatles, can't mistake those voices and the falsetto!

Onder likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I really wish they'd completed the Capitol CD sets. If they'd put out a 3rd set equal to the 1st 2, I wouldn't have cared what they did with the "US albums" after that! :D

ohnothimagen, Sidewinder43 and nikh33 like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Like I just said above, if "Capitol V3" had come out, I wouldn't have cared.

The problem is that "Capitol V3" didn't come out, so "US Albums" became the only place fans could get those "non-issued" albums on CD.

Which is why it gets bitched about. Yeah, I know there would've been bitching anyway, but I believe the griping would've been much lessened if "Capitol V3" existed.

And I've not really "bitched" a whole lot anyway - I can't even recall if I've posted in this loooooong thread before today. Probably - and I probably whined! ;) - but I'm not super-mad about "US Albums".

I do side with the folks who think we should've gotten "accurate" versions of all the Capitol releases, though, and without the existence of "Capitol V3", that left "US Albums" as the only place to do this.

Thus the bitching! :laugh:

5. All right, this is the closest thing that comes to "debunking" the butcher cover story. However, it still doesn't explain why the picture was chosen for Yesterday and Today, who chose it, and what their motivations were. It could very well have been assigned to a collection of hacked together scraps because it shows hacked up meat and dolls. Lennon's quote about using it for the album sure seems to suggest dissatisfaction with the hacked together nature of it.

ParloFax likes this.
  6. A well respected man

A well respected man Forum Resident

I can understand that, but then it all comes down to a few tracks in the stereo Y&T. No big deal, if you consider the original stereo mixes of two UK albums were unavailable until 2009 (and even then they were just extra content in the mono box).

Onder likes this.
  7. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

The Beatles had selected a photo from the "butcher" session for an ad in Record Mirror three weeks before Y&T (not issued in the UK) so it could even be that it was just 'their latest photo'. But Whittaker's recollection is only about his intent, it still doesn't have any information about why The Beatles chose it for an LP cover only issued by Capitol.

Onder, Gems-A-Bems and Billy Budapest like this.
  8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Personally, I think that if The Early Beatles had been left off of Vol. 2 and they had included Y&T instead, there would be a lot less bitching. Many had Introducing The Beatles back in the day. Those people haven't been put out by having to listen to the Please Please Me CDs. There is no substitute for Y&T.

Daily Nightly likes this.
  9. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

How come no one ever complains about The Beatles Story not being included in the old box sets? Wasn't that a Capitol album too?

Blimpboy, dlokazip and ParloFax like this.
  10. Sidewinder43

Remember that we're talking about a middle aged man with a jazz background. Even when I was a kid, IWTHYH sounded different to me. The instrumentation set it apart for me.

11. owsley

owsley Forum Resident

12. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Seeing as how Liverpool is a city and the United States is an entire country with a massive population, that even in the 60s was almost 200 million, you can't compare the two except by averages.

I never once said Capitol was the reason the Beatles were big or huge in the states and you didn't include in my quote that Capitol was aiming for casual fans too and not just the crazed ones.
    Every last penny earned or record sold with a unique tracklist or reprocessed sound that's heard in passing or passed on by word of mouth, is the intent of a label.
    We can't put a finger on how many records are sold in those days due to these.
    And I have stated on here that it wasn't just the U.S. who had unique versions.
    I made this point to show that it wasn't just the U.S. who messed with artistic intent.

Once Capitol embraced the band they were trusted to then make adequate decisions to help secure the continued success, even if just for casual or potential new fans that needed persuading.
    The importance of the Capitol albums doesn't need patriotism or obscure tidbits of info.
    It's 2017 and we're still talking about their uniqueness over 50 years later and their release on cd on multiple box sets.
    They were attempted to left in the dust in 1987 and would have been if they lacked the significance you are insinuating they did.
    Almost 20 years after the original UKs became cds the Capitol's remained relevant enough to create to highly successful boxes and 14 years into the 21st century, nearly 30 years since the 87s and 5 years after the remastered original UKs of both mono and stereo, they still saw fit to release something called the "U.S. albums".
    That's not me being patriotic.
    I didn't add the phrase "U.S." meaning United States of America, to the title.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It was.

It sold over a million copies and made it to number seven on the Billboard album chart.

It was available on LP for at least twenty years.

It was part of how Americans experienced The Beatles.

14. Wasn't a studio album.

15. Oatsdad

Mostly because it's unlistenable! :D

I'm actually really happy to have "Beatles Story" on CD - it's one of the reasons I got the "US Albums" set. Yes, it's awful, but it's history, and I owned it as a kid, so I'm glad to have it - even if I never suffer through it again!

Blimpboy likes this.
  16. I was very happy to see it released on CD because it was narrated by my friend, Emmy winner Al Wiman, who is probably more famous for this:

Diego Lucas likes this.
  17. Some perspective:

Based on Slane's breakdown of the mixes (many thanks owed to Slane), the "US Albums Box" has about 242 song tracks (stereo and mono). Of these, 164 (68%) are the same mixes used for the capitol albums released in the 60s (and Hey Jude). So right off the bat 2/3rds of the mixes are historically accurate (also mostly lower-generation sourced). Of the 78 tracks that are different mixes, 36 were originally presented as "folddowns" on the mono release and 19 are duophonic / fake stereo manipulations. Purist complain that substituting these folddowns and fake-stereo tracks with EMI's dedicated mono and true stereo mixes was an abomination and a mistake because the presentation is no longer historically accurate. Others think it was a wise decision to make these substitutions because history be damned, these sound much better (pick a side). So that leaves 23 tracks in the box that do not conform to the Capitol released mixes (and were not originally folddowns and fake stereo). Of these 23, most represent Help and Rubber Soul stereo tracks remixed in the 80s for the original CD releases. These 80s remixed stereo tracks are a major bone of contention for just about every fan and it was a decision that is not easily defended. The US dedicated unique mix omissions that disappoint many of us here are the following (note: the box compliers DID include 19 unique US mixes):

You Can't Do That (mono)
    Long Tall Sally (stereo)
    I Call Your Name (stereo)
    Kom Gib Mir Deine Hand (stereo)
    I'm Only Sleeping (stereo)
    Doctor Robert (stereo)
    And Your Bird Can Sing (stereo)

These constitute another mistake or oversight by the box creators that is hard to understand or defend, though how much these omissions matter to you may depend on the individual song mix itself, as some are not very different. The "extremely wet" version of half the songs on The Beatles Second Album (stereo) may also be missed by many who crave historical accuracy -others may not miss the reverb.

So those people who are happy they substituted folddowns and fake-stereo tracks with their sonically superior EMI counterpart dedicated mixes are likely happy with about 219 (90%) of the selected mixes. the 7 unique mixes that were not included and the Rubber Soul and Help constitute 10% of the material here and consequently it is very easy to understand why many are, overall, very happy with the US Albums box set.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  18. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Just a theory:

Those wanting Capitol Albums Vol. 3 claim that they have a fondness for and liked listening to the Capitol Albums as they originally heard them, including the alternate versions. And they liked the Dexterization, wet versions, and fake stereo in Volumes 1 and 2. Whether any of us agree or not, this is what some claim to like and enjoy and they are entitled to do so.

HOWEVER: I guess I've never heard anyone say that they enjoy listening to the "music?" on Beatles Story. :D

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  19. Price.pittsburgh

Replacing fold downs with the dedicated mono mixes I would think are less of an issue than the fake stereo being replaced with true stereo.

20. A well respected man

I agree completely. The use of 87 remixes Help!/RS and the missing unique mixes are failures in execution one can't defend, even if one agrees with the box approach.

However, I have my doubts about that list of missing unique mixes:

-I think it was stablished that there was no unique mono You Can't Do That, or that it was identical to the UK mix.

-The German song wasn't really a different mix, I think it was something different (channels reversed?). Maybe slane or lukpac remember this.

-And Your Bird Can Sing was mixed for the US in stereo, but they used the same levels for the UK mix, so they are really identical.

That would leave only four missing mixes. Regarding Long Tall Sally, there is documentation that proves it's a unique mix. However, no one I have talked to in this forum or others have been able to tell me how it is different from the UK mix (apart from the extra reverb and channel movement of Capitol's, not corresponding to George Martin's unique mix).

dlokazip and prognastycator like this.
  21. Price.pittsburgh

The Beatles story is best listened to with reverb.

dewey02 and dlokazip like this.
  22. Sidewinder43

My question is why duplicate stuff that is readily available elsewhere. The real point of the set is to deliver the alternate listening experience (like it or not YMMV) that the Capitol albums provided.

One thing that really sticks in my craw is the use of the mono mixes for some songs, such as She Loves You, I'll Get You, Love Me Do, and P.S. I Love You, on the stereo portion of their respective albums. I'd rather have some sort of fake stereo.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  23. You are probably correct about what constitutes missing unique mixes. The post I pulled the data from was an older one from Slane and I suspect some of the data has been updated.

A well respected man likes this.
  24. A well respected man

One could ask the same thing to the people that wanted this set to replicate the Capitol boxes.

The point of this set was to deliver that alternate experience with the best possible sound, the unique mixes (where they committed a few mistakes) and eliminating Capitol's manipulations (which many fans don't like). To get the whole Capitol experience you already had the Capitol boxes (though incomplete).

lukpac and prognastycator like this.
  25. This is also very cool:

http://www.harrisonline.com/audio/alwiman05.mp3

Paul Harris Online: Al Wiman with The Beatles