The Beatles - White Album 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BuCo, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Forum Resident

Having said that, I have just got to a point where there are 3x loud pops at the end of Julia (last track side 2 standard album) caused by a small scratch, but much worse is quite a major gouge/scuff on Blackbird on the Esher Demos causing repeating clicks for 20+ revs, so this set will have to go back. :0(

General surface noise is still much less than my 2x Lp set though.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Say what? :confused:

RevolutionDoctor likes this.
  3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I received a replacement copy of the 2-LP set, and it is much better than the first I got, which was pretty sad, in terms of being warped and off-centered on both records.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  4. Sparry71

Sparry71 New Member

Hi

Out of curiosity did you work with James spencely in the past ?

Regards

Sean

5. fini

fini Forum Resident

Great detailed reports, my friends! My main question was, as I have purchased the SDE, the 3/cd set, and the 4/LP set, is there any reason (beyond being a semi-completist) to go ahead and pick up a 2/LP set? It's weird, after waiting a month or so, checking prices and watching tracking info, I feel slightly lost, not having something to be anticipating!

6. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

Agree ... my go-to has always been the limited edition Japanese Red LP in MONO - but the BD is surely candy to the ears!

7. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Or maybe the stripper from the Death Cab For Cutie scene...........

8. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

"I've got blisters on my fingers!"

surprisingly low on this mix

my only complaint.

9. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

I've read the thread, and I don't think this has been answered yet - maybe it's too soon.

A question for anyone who's listened to / has the CD version and the LP version of the remix album - is the remix on LP different to that on the CD?

Last year's Sgt Pepper's remix LP was considered to be a better listen than the remix presented on CD - is this the same this year, and if so, how so?

The super deluxe is an expensive purchase and I have little desire to double up for marginal or no differences.

(so not thinking about the demos or the sessions, or LP vs CD per se.).

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm only curious about the 4 CDs of outtakes, alternates, etc....how does the HD Tracks versions sound compared to the CDs?

11. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Enjoy us?

porieux and SteelyNJ like this.
  12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I don’t know if Giles does, but there sure are many Hoffmanites who think “man this isn’t very good I can make this sound a lot better than Giles does.” Without using necesary tools such as compressors.

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Of course not.

To begin with, "better" is subjective.

Secondly, Giles is a hired gun. He's paid by The Beatles (Paul, Ringo, and the widows of John and George) to create a new mix that's different from what we're used to hearing, and which offers improved clarity due to technological advances of the past 50 years.

To suggest that he's arrogant enough to think, "I can do this better" demonstrates a real lack of understanding as to how the process works. As Giles has said countless times, "I work for The Beatles. They're my bosses. If they didn't like this remix, it wouldn't have come out and we wouldn't be having this discussion."

14. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Enjoying listening to disc 3 - Esher Demos. Great stuff!!!

15. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Not significantly different. If u own the cds I wouldn’t bother with the hdtracks.

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Guess I was lucky with my 2xLP, as it was clean, dead silent, and centered. A really gorgeous-sounding album.

17. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Aren’t most mixdowns done at a peak volume of -6db to give the mastering engineer some headroom?

18. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

Yoko: "Do you think that was too much?"
    John: "That was great!"

19. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Have you noticed better stereo separation on the other tracks?

20. That had to do with the mastering as I recall. Not the mix.

21. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Anyone know why the Esther demos had doubletracked vocals?

I find it odd... the guys are basically doing demos for each other .. So why doubletrack the vocals and occasionally add weird little voices and sound effects?

22. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I have the 4x LP set and the full CD set. The vinyl was free of pops and sounded exquisite, though I agree with the consensus that the left channel is slightly louder than the right--especially evident on the demos.

I don't agree with all of Giles and Sam's mixing choices, but overall I really dig it. In many instances, it was like hearing the album for the first time, particularly the tracks with George Martin's arrangements (no surprise, considering his son's involvement). Some of the songs sound like they're fully "complete" or finished.

I'm loving all of this. It was an impossible dream for new remixes and outtakes only ten years ago.

Vinyl_Blues, Tommyboy and andybeau like this.
  23. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

My wording could be interpreted two ways - I meant "With regards only to the remixed 30 track album, does the LP sound different to the CD"

So, less/more limiting, less/more compression etc. So yes, the way it's been mastered.

Last year's Sgt Pepper's remix LP was considered to be a better listen than the remix as presented on CD - is this the same this year, and if so, how so?

wayneklein likes this.
  24. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Any thoughts about the relative differences between the main album as presented on CD and LP?

I'm wondering if they sound different due to mastering choices for each format.

25. ZoSo794

ZoSo794 Forum Resident

Ok having just gotten to listening to the stereo remix I had to stop and come ask if anyone has mentioned the total neutering of Helter Skelter? The mix is way too clean, especially the backing vocals. I found the remix of the album up to this point to be somewhat tasteful in its effort to clear things up but keep true to the artistic intentions of the original but with this track they went too far. Helter Skelter is supposed to be loud and dirty, the backing vocals on the original always gave me a spooky haunted wailing vibe, now it sounds like a choir of angels has burst through the song (This is good on a song like Dear Prudence but not here). Overall the thing just sounds too clean and separated and lacks the atmosphere the original stereo mix has IMO.

Hawklord, chacha and goer like this.