The Beatles Yellow Submarine - DVD Reissue coming May 28th, 2012*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by crossroads69, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member Thread Starter

This came up in another thread and I didn't see a separate thread on the Music forum to discuss this possible upcoming release. Amazon lists Yellow Submarine to be reissued on DVD/BD and the soundtrack on CD on May 29.

BD: http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Submar...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332107901&sr=1-1

DVD: http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Submar...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332107923&sr=1-2

CD : http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Submar...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332107923&sr=1-3

For fans like me who have never had the opportunity to watch the film (other than low quality online streams), this release will help fill a big hole in The Beatles collection. Besides the movie, I'm also curious to see what bonus features may be offered. The YSS remix CD showed the improved sonics of working from the original multi-tracks and better stereo placement, but most here found the sound to be too sterile and there were couple of mixing problems as well (Paul's vocal on Rigby). Will the reissue fix some of these shortcomings of the original CD?

Hopefully there will be an official announcement from Apple soon.

2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Yea!!! Blu-ray :righton:

I used to watch this with my boys back in the late 80s all the time from my MGM VHS tape which I still own BTW. They're 25 and 26 now and it's still one of their favorite movies. They both own the DVD as do I. :thumbsup:

3. crossroads69

I'm hoping the reissue of YSS signals the start of a more broader campaign to reissue all the other films on BD especially OOP movies like Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be.

4. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I hope this is confrimed by Apple. The 1999 movie remaster was pretty impressive at the time (all home video prints up until then were pretty dirty). I got over the Songtrack mixes after the novelity of hearing the well known songs with "modern" mixes wore off.

There next to no information at this time about this release.

Here's another I found:

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=75378

Still no new info I'm afaird.

[​IMG]

5. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Wow, only $17.50 on Blu Ray. In Aussie dollars that's, like, nothing (well around $17.00) Too good to be true. Now bring on LIB!!

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I checked the Apple Corps and TheBeatles.com websites, and the bozos there don't even mention it. Funny, they have announced that you can buy Beatles ringtones for your smartphones. The fans have left the following comments:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “release let it be on dvd..!!!!!”

“Release LIVE AT THE HOLYWOOD BOWL! THAT WHAT WE WANT NOT RINGTONES A LIVE CD IS THE WAY TO GO!!! ssh but it could help emi!”

“I agree with sgtpepperman1953. Stop ripping off fans with repackaged songs we already have. Release Let It Be on DVD. I've been waiting for years!”

“Enough of this garbage. Release what the people really want, not this junk!!!!!!!!!!!”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is on the official websites! :rolleyes: I think we can assume the people running the company are aware that fans are p!ssed-off.

7. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

From what I heard a remastered Magical Mystery Tour movie is supposed to follow YSS later this year. Don't know how accurate that info is.

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Restoration on MMT was completed a year ago.

9. paulisdead

Can you site a source on this one?

Do we get a Paul McCartney directors commentary. :D

10. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

That would be awesome. I got lucky enough to snag up one of the rare official MPI DVDs of MMT which look an awful lot like those horrible bootlegs that are circulating and even being sold in Wal-Marts and Best Buys and such.

But still, even the MPI DVD leaves a lot to be desired. While the film may not be brilliant, the colors are, and a nice remastered, revitalized BD of MMT would be like sheer eye-candy.

11. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

That just goes to show how much they pay attention, i.e. not at all. I'm surprised those weren't removed.

12. paulisdead

UPDATE: I did find this.

http://wogew.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/magical-mystery-tour-back-on-dvd.html

Apple are in no hurry to release Let It Be. In the late 90's and early 2000's both Macca and Ringo were promissing a DVD release but since then there's been a change in heart:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/54635/Macca-and-Ringo-say-just-Let-It-Be

I'd suspect that the keepers of Harrison's estate would also be against the release of the DVD since George wasn't a big fan of the film. Plus it doesn't paint Yoko in the best light either (but then most of her scenes are in Anthology anyway).

I'd love to see a leaked version of the original cut of the film at 180 minutes. If the clips on Anthology are anything to go by, it would make for a more coherent movie.

13. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

That's not what Michael Lindsay-Hogg is saying...
    http://www.examiner.com/beatles-in-national/beatles-let-it-be-director-says-dvd-of-film-is-the-works

Also, I have a 4 DVD copy of Let It Be I bought off ioffer.com that has the original theatrical film in anamorphic widescreen and three discs of a 4 hour extended version of the film with tons of stuff put back in, all in chronological order. There's some cool stuff that got cut out, but also a lot of boring black and white shots where they run through like 50 partial runs of Get Back...

14. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

The YS Songbook CD Amazon has for pre-order is kind of pricey, isn't it? ($19.08 for a single CD)

15. crossroads69

That will most probably come down to the $9.99 to $12.99 range by release date. I wonder if its going to be a straight reissue of the old CD or will we get a remastered version? Ideally, I would love them to offer new remastered, unlimited 24/96 downloads.

16. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

And the complete 5.1 mixes.

17. crossroads69

I'm hoping that those will be offered as a bonus feature on the BD :)

18. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Songtrack including "A Day in the Life" and George Martin film music with all possible faults of previous edition corrected. ;-) 24/96 stereo and 5.1, a poster, tiny plastic submarine and a t-shirt. Did I forget something? :)

19. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I really enjoy the Songtrack CD I have - I don't think it sounds 'sterile' at all. I think it sounds pretty impressive actually and shows that remixes can work. I think it's a 'one-off' kind of thing though and I don't think they'll ever do the complete catalog.

I'd be shocked if the rerelease of the CD is anything other than just that - a rerelease of the original Songtrack CD. I don't think there will be anything fixed or remastered.

Really looking forward to the Blu-ray, though. That movie is deserving of the hi-def format. Its very possible too that the soundtrack will be a hi-res surround format. Count me in!!!

20. Couldn't they think of some better releases to celebrate the band's 50th anniversary?

21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

you're assuming this is it?

22. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

It could just be the beginning of The Beatles Remasters setting their sights on the films now that they're done with the music.

It makes sense to begin with Yellow Submarine. There's no controversy surrounding it, a lot of restoration work has already been done and released, it's been out of print for a long time, and is probably the most popular Beatles film and the most high in demand for casual consumers (for Beatles fanatics that may be Let It Be).

There are a lot of articles and such suggesting that this will be followed by a DVD and BD of Magical Mystery Tour (also long out of print, but with less work done, and with less demand from the general public), and for that to be followed by Let It Be.

After they get all the OOP stuff out, perhaps they'll retrace their steps and do a BD of Help! and reissue the BD of A Hard Day's Night.

23. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'd like to see the Songtrack CD remastered. The mixes were fine but the mastering was too, well, "modern". More dynamics please.

Also, while I'd love to see a full remastering programme for the films, I don't see it happening any time soon simply because I don't think Apple owns the rights to A Hard Day's Night.

Help has, of course, been given the remastering treatment (complete with cropping) so I don't see much doing there either...

24. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Apple always gets to the party very late.

Bootleggers have been making a TON of money off the OOP MMT and YS movies. Same with LIB. I refuse to buy them in that state for a long list of reasons from ethical to quality control.

What I'd really like to see is a deluxe repackaging of ALL the movies in ONE box (pain to do since AHDN is out of Apple control) with amazing bonus features, small books, and anything else they can come up with that would be amazing. I'm sure they'd stick a $500 price tag on something like that.

Let's get the show moving Apple!

25. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I completely agree that the 1999 Songtrack CD sounds great and would love to hear the entire catalogue remixed in this fashion.

Will the reissue sound any different though? A remix of remix?
    Sounds scary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.