The Beatles Yellow Submarine - DVD Reissue coming May 28th, 2012*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by crossroads69, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, if you think it looks great, that's fine - not trying to say you can't enjoy it! :)

Upconversion really shouldn't help with something non-anamorphic, though. It's still gonna be stuck in a windowbox in the middle of your TV - or look uglier if you stretch it to fill the screen.

Non-anamorphic titles looked fine on 4X3 sets but tend to be pretty unattractive on 16X9 TVs...

2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

This is a 4K transfer !! lucky us !! a Lot of Blue Rays use 2K sources

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The picture quality of the '99 DVD is AWFUL. The only reason I'm keeping it is for the music-only score.

4. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Does the new DVD have the "Hey Bulldog" scene that was cut out of the Original 1969 film issue and restored in 1999? I didn't get to view the whole film,so,I'm asking here.:confused:

5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The new BD looks exceptionally good.

6. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I think 1999 DVD albeit being non-anamorphic still looks not too bad (slighly oversaturated colors there, but the picture quality is generally pretty decent still). The new BD transfer however is vastly superior ;)

7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"new DVD have the "Hey Bulldog" scene"

,yes

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yes, it is on the new BluRay. That scene is reminiscent of the old Saturday morning Beatles cartoon series. IMO

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

It's both on the Blu-Ray and DVD :righton:

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Mono soundtrack is featured only on Blu-ray edition. Yes?

11. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Yes. :agree:

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No. Unless I messed up the specs in my review - which is possible - the 2012 DVD has the mono soundtrack as well.

Will check it again to make sure!

13. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

NO

The mono soundtrack is also on the DVD.

14. TServo2049

TServo2049 New Member

Any word on whether the mono soundtrack is 100% mono this time?

On the 1999 DVD, it switched to remixed stereo for an entire reel, starting right after the end of "All Together Now", and ending with George saying "I think I burnt me finger." I've been hoping this would be fixed on the new release.

15. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Yes! I switched over and "When I'm Sixty-Four" and "Only A Northern Song" have that analog mono film sound. I think "When I'm Sixty-Four" only fades up just before Paul starts singing on the mono track where the stereo mix has the full intro just mixed down under the dialogue.

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm a bit annoyed that the music isn't available as a seperate file on the dvd.
    It would have been nice to be able to hear just the music in stereo or mono without the dialogue.

17. To me this isn't a big deal - a lot of the songs are edited in the movie, and I'll just listen to the CDs if I want to hear the music. The extra verse in 'It's All Too Much' being the exception.

18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

I'm annoyed that they release the same sht* over and over. Give us MMT & Let It Be already. Carry on...

19. TServo2049

TServo2049 New Member

I for one am glad that the full original mono is finally available, and in lossless. AHDN and Help! have never been released in their original mono; the only way to hear those in mono are if you have off-air recordings of either the 90s AMC airings or older TV airings.

20. I'm not. This blows away the previous DVD and the blu looks brilliant plus MMT has been released on DVD before.

21. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

Agreed. As much as I liked the 1999 DVD, it's now rendered obsolete by the new BluRay. (Nice packaging, too, with a very nice booklet, reproduction film cells and an assortment of stickers.)

22. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

I wasn't convinced by some of the blu-ray captures, the clarity was hugely improved but the colours looked less dazzling than the '99 DVD. Having now got the blu-ray itself, I am relieved to say that it looks amazing.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

24. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

25. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.