The Beatles Yellow Submarine - DVD Reissue coming May 28th, 2012*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by crossroads69, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

While your blu-ray gently sleeps...

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because...?

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

....the wind is high :)

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Is it still wrapped? That's protection, innit? :laugh:

5. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

"Baby You're A Rich Man" was added to the "U.S." version of the film and was not in the original version. (The "U.S." version was released by MGM/UA on VHS and laserdisc in the '80s.) The 1999 remix added part of the song at this point of the film to add some consistency between versions. This exists on the new Blu-ray and DVD versions, while the included mono soundtrack reflects the original U.K. release without the song. As others have sadly noted, none of the updated footage from the "U.S." version was included.

6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Now that Apple has included multiple easter eggs on Magical Mystery Tour, it's even worse the extra U.S. footage wasn't included in this YS release even as an easter egg.

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

You need to play it. no point in buying it otherwise!

8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Does anyone else think that the Boob sort of looks like Dick Emery? Intentional or coincidence?

9. woody

woody Forum Resident

The colors and detail are amazing. However, after watching the DVD for however many years, this Blu-Ray presentation looks like it is a bad pan and scan. I know it is "original aspect ratio" but did they really chop off so much in every scene. All the heads and chimneys are cropped off the screen. The numbers in "When I'm 64" are chopped off. Do I have something wrong with my settings with my Oppo for a 16:9 screen? I haven't noticed any issues with other movies but is there something I need to change for this movie?

I went back and checked for the third time and I have the aspect ratio on the Oppo set to "wide/auto" and not just "wide."

Ok, I just looked at screenshots on blu-ray.com and my system settings are off as I don't have the black bars on the side like I should. I can't for the life of me figure it out, though. Any ideas?

10. woody

woody Forum Resident

I've now spent 90 minutes and still can't get it to display correct. At least I'm glad to know the movie doesn't look as bad as I initially thought. If anyone has any idea what is wrong with my settings I'd appreciate any input. My pioneer plasma is set to full and the oppo is at wide/auto. 4:3 dvd has correct ratio when I just checked.

11. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Assuming the BD is mastered properly as 1080p/24 then your settings sound fine. 1080i/p can only be 16:9 so that's what your TV should be set to.

If you're not seeing black bars on the left and right, you probably have overscan set too high. Ideally you want to disable overscan completely for BD or DVD players. Have a look in the options on the TV whilst you're on the BD player input. Might be a bit hidden in the advanced options or something.

12. woody

woody Forum Resident

Except it's a 720p plasma from 2006. I just found a THX setup disk and found my monitor has a funny setting to slightly expand the image. I've fixed my issue but it seems to be resetting every time I change input. Arggh! I've got to figure out the model number and am not having much luck yet. It was a prosumer model bought from Costco and I have no documentation. I used to have a pdf of the manual but will have to search for one now. Feeling like a dummy that I haven't noticed this in 6 years.

Wow, it's resetting when I change the channel on the tv, too. I must have some auto function turned on but can't find it.

13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I think I have to agree with that. I'm very grateful when something is reissued, but a release of "new" material would be fitting for the fiftieth anniversary. An expanded Hollywood Bowl, revamped 'Rarities' or another collection of outtakes would have been welcome.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.