The Beatles Yellow Submarine (Film) Returning To Cinemas July 8, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

? It IS able to be watched at home.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Not the new fancy 50th anniversary edition which is what we are talking about.

forthlin likes this.
  3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

No, that’s wrong. We are talking about the existing 2012 restoration being made available to see in the cinema for one day only, later this year. If I want, I can put it on right now.

4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

They will use a completely different technique for creating the 5.1 this time around.
    Instead of pointing the speakers against the back wall and recording the bounced ambiance for the 5.1 rear speaker tracks like they did for recent 5.1 creations, Giles will instead have the speakers underwater to get that same underwater sound that can be heard on the recording of the Yellow Submarine single/album song. You know, the one where the backing "ahhhs" sound all gurgly! :D

JimW and apesfan like this.
  5. a customer

Ok sorry my bad.

6. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

as not a 62 YO man, this might be cool at the right theater.

7. a customer

I wonder if any women will go of their own free will. Im listening to this boy instrumental from ahdn cd as I type this. Hmm

8. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Yes, many women are deep fans of music and music films. Why is it that sexist drivel like this is allowed to be posted here?

9. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

As a 63 yr old man I'm easily confused. I have 3 original cels from YS, but there's something wrong...they aren't moving.:magoo:

10. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In 4K?

forthlin likes this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That’s what I asked earlier. Isn’t that what the current Blu-ray is? Must have a look.

If it isn’t, you’d have to pay a premium to buy such an item, have the correct equipment to enjoy it. If not, might as well go to the cinema for the day.

Kevin55 likes this.
  12. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I wonder....

The UK/Ireland "re-release" is for one day only: July 8.

In the U.S., this type of limited reissue is quite common now, and usually is done in coordination with the biggest theater chains, Turner Classic Movies and Fathom Events, as part of a periodic, six-week "film series" that includes six different films, each showing on a Wednesday and Sunday of one particular week, in theaters nationwide. (Recently, "Casablanca," "Treasure of Sierra Madre," "White Christmas" and "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" were all re-released to theaters in this fashion.)

In 2012, "Yellow Submarine" got a theatrical showing in the U.S. just ahead of its home video release, although there was almost zero promotion, even on the web.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see it return this summer as part of the promotion behind the film's 50th anniversary.

13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

They should do some promotional tie-ins with places like McDonalds. Yellow Submarine seems custom made for small toys that could go into happy meals. That way it could be promoted to young people (it is a cartoon, after all). And then the film audience might include not only 63 year old men, but also young children and their 20 and 30-something mothers and fathers!

Then all the folks on this forum could be happy and know that no one is being kept from their precious Beatles.

14. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Weren't there one-night-only theatrical listening parties of Pepper last summer with wizbang sound systems?

Maybe they'll do something similar with Yellow Submarine.

15. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Yellow Submarine & The Golden Arches!

16. Kevin55

Yeah it looks like the current Blu-ray is 4k

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Dat am what I tought.

18. forthlin

It would make for great marketing, not sure that'd happen with one of the biggest celebrity vegetarians on the planet getting a vote. Of course Ringo is also vegetarian, but he's not even the best vegetarian in the Beatles. ;)

19. a customer

Wiki says the film eight days a,week made 12 million . It cost 5 million to make. Is thete really a demand for beatle films just wondering

20. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I did see this at the cinema in recent years but I'm not sure if it was at the time of the Blu-ray release or the previous DVD issue. It was a one-off showing at the time and I really enjoyed seeing it one the big screen. The cinema was not exactly full as I remember (which suited me). I seem to remember phoning to enquire and asking if I needed to book in advance. I'm sure I heard giggles at at the other end of the phone but perhaps that was my imagination or perhaps they were getting a preview screening at the time and were chortling at the scene with Hamlet cigar advert music.

I somehow can't see a big release on blu-ray as the last one was pretty good as I remember. I suppose we could get a deluxe version of the soundtrack with both the George Martin score (were there any instrumental segments used in the movie that were not included on the original Yellow Submarine ST?) and the revamped Songtrack mixes which I did enjoy. A companion release in a similar format to the Magical Mystery Tour DVD/Blu-ray/EP would be nice but I can't see it so soon after the 2012 issue.

I could probably enjoy this again at the cinema again. It was a groundbreaking film in many ways and if you watch it in the context of the times it can be viewed on several levels. The messages are still relevant today, if not more so.

It does seem that someone has woken up and is looking at what can be done with the Beatles back catalogue. We are getting some releases and there is an anniversary potential for more:

2018:
    White Album Deluxe (Kinfauns/Hey Jude/Remix/Outtakes
    2019:
    Get Back Extended Deluxe (with film/outtakes in addition to soundtrack remix/original mixes/outtakes etc.)
    Abbey Road Deluxe remix etc.

I think then things could recycle back to 60th anniversary releases of the remaining catalogue in a consistent fashion, the gap could be filled in with Star Club, Hamburg, Decca etc.

21. forthlin

That's a good question. If there was a 7 million dollar profit does that even turn any heads in Hollywood? For guys like Ron Howard they'd probably prefer to be spending their time and investment on big blockbusters in the 10s or even 100s of millions in profit.

22. a customer

That's why I think if the guy still holding the shea stadium tapes he needs to cut that deal sooner than later.

23. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Do those numbers include DVD sales worldwide?

24. Kevin55

Vegetarian submarine sandwich happy meals!

25. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

What guy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.