The Bee Gees' albums... how many?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I thought I'd dredge this up from my largely abandoned and ignored blog, because I thought folks here might be interested. :) (With updates where necessary.)

===============================

Just how many albums did these three talented brothers churn out, anyway? The Bee Gees' discography is complicated, because no one has a set opinion on what exactly constitutes their catalog. Does Andy's music count? Does "Saturday Night Fever" count, even though it's not strictly a Bee Gees album? What about the unreleased albums? The Australian albums? The unauthorized third Australian album? But wait, weren't there FOUR Australian albums?

Alright, let's sort this out. Albums with numbers are certainly counted; albums with one question should be counted, but most likely aren't officially counted by the Bee Gees; albums with two question marks are more confusing.

THE BEE GEES AS A GROUP

[1] THE BEE GEES SING AND PLAY 14 BARRY GIBB SONGS (1965 - Australia only)
    The first album, plain and simple, even though it was technically comprised mainly of previously released singles.

[2] SPICKS AND SPECKS (1966 - Australia only)
    The second album. Also known as "Monday's Rain."

[??] (THIRD AUSTRALIAN ALBUM?) (1966)
    An entire album exists of outtakes from around the time of the "Spicks and Specks" album sessions. Much of this material (save two tracks, which haven't even been bootlegged) appeared on the 'Inception/Nostalgia' collection. However, given the fact that some of these tracks are merely sloppy in-studio piss takes of other artists' songs, it's unlikely that this was intended for release, despite rumors otherwise. Why this even exists as a record is unknown.

[3] BEE GEES' FIRST (1967)
    Whoa, wait... it certainly isn't! Well, it was the Bee Gees' first international album, and since they were unknown outside of Australia at this point, no one else would have been aware in the slightest that they had two local albums there. Calling this "Bee Gees' Third" would've been silly.

[?] TURN AROUND, LOOK AT US (1967 - Australia only)
    This one's tough, as the Bee Gees seem to ignore it completely, especially since they didn't authorize it to begin with. After the boys had moved back to England, their Australian label released *this* as their third album, despite it containing absolutely no new material - just more as-yet-uncompiled singles and some repeats from "Sing and Play". The status of this rare LP depends on who you ask, really.

[4] HORIZONTAL (1968)
    The Bee Gees' second international album.

[5] IDEA (1968)
    The Bee Gees' third international album.

[6] ODESSA (1969)
    The Bee Gees' fourth international album, and last with all three brothers for a little while. (Note that this was later split into two separate LP's - "Sound Of Love" and "Marley Purt Drive".)

[?] INCEPTION / NOSTALGIA (1970)
    A very bizarre release. This 2-LP set of unique material (all Australian outtakes, some of which originally appeared on the mysterious unreleased 1966 LP) was released on Polydor without the consent of the group... but only in Germany and France. The brothers didn't even know about it until they found it in a Swiss record store after the fact. Even still, it is entirely fresh material... but then, the fact that they didn't consent to it probably bumps it from their catalog.

[7] CUCUMBER CASTLE (1970)
    Credited as "The Bee Gees", though it isn't really... Robin Gibb was off on his own at this point, leaving Barry and Maurice to create both this album and an accompanying TV movie featuring its music.

[8] 2 YEARS ON (1970)
    The group's 'reunion album', featuring the return of Robin.

[??] MELODY (1971)
    A soundtrack album, which features one new Bee Gees track (a remake of "In The Morning" from Inception/Nostalgia), a couple older tracks, and some orchestral covers of Bee Gees tunes. Half of the album is completely unrelated to the group. Not quite the caliber of their contributions to "Saturday Night Fever", because their actual work on this soundtrack is limited to one track. If it wasn't for the Bee Gees' official biography "Tales Of The Brothers Gibb" claiming that people commonly mistake this obscure soundtrack for a Bee Gees' album, it wouldn't even be worth a mention.

[9] TRAFALGAR (1971)
    [10] TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN (1972)
    [11] LIFE IN A TIN CAN (1973)
    Standard releases, nothing of note to mention.

[?] A KICK IN THE HEAD IS WORTH EIGHT IN THE PANTS (1973)
    And then we hit this one. This LP, which was actually completed and sequenced into a reasonable track order, was recorded as the follow-up to the dull "Life In A Tin Can", but cancelled when group manager Robert Stigwood decided it was 'not worthy of them.' (Being far superior to "Tin Can" in many fans' eyes, Stigwood may have made a mistake.) It may be safe to say that the group doesn't consider a scrapped album, especially one that they have openly dismissed as poor material (....Christ, guys! It has "Castles In The Air", a wonderful song!!), as part of their catalog. The only thing that may change this is if Rhino finally continues their reissue series, and puts this album out once and for all. Time will tell.

[12] MR. NATURAL (1974)
    [13] MAIN COURSE (1975)
    [14] CHILDREN OF THE WORLD (1976)
    More standard studio albums, nothing of note.

[?] HERE AT LAST... LIVE (1977)
    This one's tricky. While it is technically part of their standard stream of releases, the group apparently doesn't consider it one of their primary releases, due to it being a live album. We'll leave this one up in the air.

[?] SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977)
    Okay... let's look at the facts here. a) The four songs that start this album were intended for the Bee Gees' next studio album, and not a movie. b) More of that studio album was recorded, and not used here. c) Much of the material on this soundtrack is not related to the Bee Gees. d) In spite of this, the Bee Gees are on the front cover, and were given top billing for the film's score. In the grand scheme of things, the Bee Gees are probably given an unfair amount of credit for what is just a various artists soundtrack. Hell, two of their songs are just pulled from older albums. But, the cold hard fact is, to the group's chagrin, this is the album most associated with them. I honestly don't know.

[?] SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (1978)
    Yes, the Bee Gees have disowned both this album and the film, refusing to include Robin's hit version of "Oh! Darling" on any of their authorized compilations. However, the group's contribution to this soundtrack is MUCH larger than that of "Saturday Night Fever," with at least one of the brothers appearing on half (or more) of the songs in the two LP set. It is, like SNF, technically a various artists album however, so it's silly to give the Bee Gees full credit, especially when they really, really don't want credit for this.

[15] SPIRITS HAVING FLOWN (1979)
    [16] LIVING EYES (1981)
    Nothing confusing here, either - just two more studio albums.

[?] STAYING ALIVE (1983)
    The soundtrack to the "Saturday Night Fever" sequel. Like its predecessor, the Bee Gees are often given top billing for this soundtrack, despite half of it being by other artists. (This one's only a single LP, so the Bee Gees' five new songs, plus a drastically edited version of "Stayin' Alive", comprise a full half.) It's actually not even certain that these is true Bee Gees music, as Barry is the only member detectable - at this point, Robin and Maurice were actually off working on their own projects, and may not be on these tracks at all. Who knows? Toss this one in the "various artists" pile with SNF, Melody and Pepper.

[17] E.S.P. (1987)
    [18] ONE (1989)
    [19] HIGH CIVILISATION (1991)
    Three more studio albums added to their catalog. This era is notable, as it marked the loss of brother Andy - something discussed forthright on the "One" album.

[??] THE BUNBURY TAILS (1992)
    And we hit a snag here. The Bunburys were a cartoon helmed by Bee Gees compatriot David English, with some input from Barry. I don't believe that I've actually seen this credited as a Bee Gees album anywhere, though a number of the tracks on this soundtrack were either performed by the group or written by the group for other artists. (Sadly, this obscure album is the only official home of No Hat Moon's performance of Barry's stunning "Seasons".) So, our choice is either to toss it in the "Melody" pile, since four of the Gibbs' six contributions are by other artists; or to put it in the "Staying Alive" pile, since the songs were all written for this soundtrack. I'll choose the latter. (Now, don't make me explain those piles, because I'll just end up confusing myself. Just slap this alongside the other various artists LP's mentioned and let's move on before someone's brain aches...)

[20] SIZE ISN'T EVERYTHING (1993)
    [21] STILL WATERS (1997)
    Two more studio albums. Incidentally, 1995 was meant to include the release of "Love Songs," a compilation for which the group recorded a handful of new tracks; this never emerged (and no, this wasn't the recent compilation of that title), and the new tracks appeared elsewhere.

[?] ONE NIGHT ONLY (1998)
    Again, as with "Here At Last", this is a live album. But man, I almost feel bad having to relegate it to "miscellaneous" status, because it's so damn important - it marked a major tour in the Bee Gees' careers, and was accompanied by a video. But, I suppose it just all comes down to being the truncated soundtrack to a video, shorn of six songs in order to fit on a single disc.

[22] THIS IS WHERE I CAME IN (2001)
    One last studio album for the trio... at this point, the boys were recording tracks separately ("White Album" style I suppose), and their growing conflicts would continue to boil, even beyond Maurice's death in 2003.

However, as of late 2009, Robin and Barry have reformed (as the Bee Gees), so there's always the possibility of a 23rd album.........

[?] AUSTRALIAN TOUR 1989 (2009)
    Thought I should throw this last minute addition onto the pile. This commercially released two-disc set of the "One For All" tour was released without the brothers' permission, due to some copyright loophole in Australia that allows the unauthorized release of live recordings 20 years after recording takes place. This still seems fairly unknown by fans, and the brothers never gave it any official notice.

Alright, that covers the Bee Gees as a group.... now things get really ugly.

BARRY GIBB SOLO

[?] THE KID'S NO GOOD (1970)
    See, here's why the solo projects get so ugly - because many of them were never released (or necessarily finished), so it's impossible to determine which should count and which shouldn't, since they obviously didn't inspire a release, no matter their state of completion. (More on that later.) This particular album, recorded during the Bee Gees' 1970 split, was finished. This was Barry's entry into a trio of solo albums that would be worked on, and scrapped, during that time period.

[1] GUILTY DEMOS (1979 / 2006)
    [2] HEARTBREAKER DEMOS (1982 / 2006)
    [3] EYES THAT SEE IN THE DARK DEMOS (1983 / 2006)
    And then here's another issue. Alright, so, during the Bee Gees' post-Fever lull, Barry enjoyed writing entire albums for artists; and for each, he would record a private version of the entire album as a guideline for the respective artist. All of these were released on iTunes a couple years ago. So, after years of bootleg copies, they have entered the realm of released recordings - the only confusion lies in how to number them. Either they should be numbered according to recording chronology in relation to Barry's other albums, or they should be numbered based on their 2006 release. I'll leave that decision up to readers.

[4] NOW VOYAGER (1984)
    The first Barry album to actually reach the market - well, Barry by himself, as he featured heavily on the artists' final versions of his demo recordings. This was accompanied by a short film showcasing the album's music.

[5] EATEN ALIVE DEMOS (1985 / 2006)
    One more demo album, this time for Diana Ross. Unlike the others, this was never bootlegged; and the iTunes version is lacking the title track, the rights for which lay in the hands of its co-author, Michael Jackson.

[?] MOONLIGHT MADNESS (1986)
    An unreleased album. I'm less apt to count this one, because much of the material would be recycled a couple years later on a similar LP. (Incidentally, this album is also sometimes referred to as "My Eternal Love.")

[6] HAWKS (1988)
    And this is what became of "Moonlight Madness." That scrapped album was revamped as this movie soundtrack, all of which is performed by Barry, save "Chain Reaction" by Diana Ross (which was also a Gibb composition).

Well, that's all of Barry's solo albums, really.... except this little bit of confusion:

[?] GUILTY PLEASURES DEMOS (2005)
    For the sequel to his 1979 project with Barbra Streisand, Barry wrote another album's worth of songs, and recorded an album's worth of demos (save "Don't Throw It All Away" and "Letting Go", which were previously released). So we can at least toss this in the 'unreleased' pile... or can we? Well, yes and no. Barry DID release these tracks, but not in any concrete form; their only appearance was in the 'Radio' stream on Barry's site, and there, they were intentionally faded in and out so that fans only heard two-minute-or-so chunks of them. Unless we see a full release someday (which may not occur, as Barry's iTunes days seem to be over), I won't count this.

ROBIN GIBB SOLO

[?] MY OWN WORK (1969)
    Ah, here's one that most fans probably haven't heard about; the only mention I've ever seen was on Joseph Brennan's Gibb Songs site, where information is scattered. In a nutshell, this was apparently an album Robin was working on not long before "Robin's Reign", and in a 1969 interview, he revealed the 11-song tracklist. The entire thing was scrapped (none of it appeared on "Robin's Reign"), and most of the songs have yet to even make it to a bootleg. Perhaps this never got past a rough plan, and the material wasn't actually recorded??

[1] ROBIN'S REIGN (1970)
    This came out instead. As Robin was no longer a member of the Bee Gees, this was the direct competition to Barry and Maurice's "Cucumber Castle" LP.

[?] SING SLOWLY SISTERS (1970)
    After the relative success of "Robin's Reign" (and the official disintegration of the Bee Gees), Robin recorded this lushly orchestrated, downbeat album - another entry into the lost 'solo trilogy' of 1970. A tracklist was allegedly decided upon, but like the other brothers' recordings from this time period, this was scrapped when the group decided to reform for "2 Years On."

[2] HOW OLD ARE YOU? (1983)
    [3] SECRET AGENT (1984)
    [4] WALLS HAVE EYES (1985)
    Three released solo albums. Sort of. While "Secret Agent" was indeed Robin alone, "How Old Are You" is much closer to being a Robin and Maurice LP (to the point of Maurice even providing lead vocals in places), and "Walls Have Eyes" includes both Maurice and Barry.

[5] MAGNET (2003)
    Robin's solo projects went totally quiet during the remainder of the Bee Gees' time as a threesome; this emerged after the group's final disintegration. Unfortunately, instead of a strict pop album, Robin decided to make this one hip-hop. Robin, a middle-aged white Englishman, sings songs about getting freaky in the shower and sipping Cris. Why, God, why??

[?] LIVE (2005)
    Another entry into the Bee Gees' live album canon.... as painful as it is. Even above "Magnet," this is truly the weakest Gibb-related release ever, displaying both Robin's complete massacre of Bee Gees tunes (including those written by and tailored for Barry), and an absolutely unprofessional mix that renders this disc bootleg quality.

[6] MY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS CAROLS (2006)
    But that's forgiven, because this album is absolutely fantastic! :) Strangely, the complete album was only released in Germany; some countries removed Robin's composition "Mother of Love", while only Germany included the very out-of-place tracks "Christmas Eve or Halloween" (a Bee Gees recording from 1968) and "Ellan Vannin".

[?] 50 ST. CATHERINE'S DRIVE (2008?)
    Whether this will be released is still unknown. A finished version of the album was filed with the US copyright office in 2008, though Robin is said to have revised the tracklist since then. Something to look forward to in the future I suppose - the most recent news was that it was considered for 2013, just to get it out there now that Robin is gone, but that has yet to occur.

[7] THE TITANIC REQUIEM (2012)
    Admittedly, giving this a proper solo album number is debatable, because it's not really a Robin Gibb album per se - it's the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and a number of guest vocalists performing a suite written by Robin and his son Robin-John, and Robin himself only appears on one song. However, this was *very* heavily pushed as Robin's big final project and he certainly stood behind it as such, so out of respect for the man, I'm giving this one to him.

MAURICE GIBB SOLO

[?] (UNTITLED SYNTHESIZER ALBUM) (1969?)
    A collaboration with Ringo Starr. According to the Gibbs' official biography, for a couple years, Maurice and Ringo were planning an avant garde album of bizarre Moog tracks. The only known title from this project is "Modulating Maurice," which featured Maurice saying random phrases over Ringo's instrumental backing. (Despite popular belief, this track has never been bootlegged; this song title was given to an unrelated Bee Gees instrumental.) I actually seem to remember hearing that the tapes for this album no longer exist, but don't take my word on that.

[?] SING A RUDE SONG (1969)
    This one is a toughie, as it's not *technically* a Maurice album. While he was pushed as one of the stars of this London musical, he is only audible on three songs, though he is featured on the cover (shades of "Saturday Night Fever"), and produced the entire album. If this can be counted, this would actually be Maurice's only released work to date.

[?] THE LONER (1970)
    Maurice's entry into the unreleased 1970 trilogy. In a perfect world, this fantastic album will emerge on a long-overdue compilation of Maurice's recordings (why one wasn't released after his passing, I don't know), but again, time will tell. Sadly, bootleg versions are poor quality; but the original Japanese boot (which thankfully is presented without the extreme sound reduction used on the later edition) is still essential listening.

[??] STRINGS AND THINGS (1981)
    An album of synthesizer-based instrumentals, which doesn't seem to have ever been finished, as only a few song titles and one actual track (which may or may not be the title track) have emerged. Judging from that one song alone, this could have been an impressive disc.

[?] A BREED APART (1984)
    One of Maurice's film scores. This soundtrack LP, available as a bootleg, was originally set for release in 1984 alongside the film. However, the film was delayed until 1986, and failed to make a splash upon release. The proposed soundtrack was scrapped.

[??] THE SUPERNATURALS (1985)
    Though this was a finished work (another film score, to be precise), I'm putting it in the 'two question marks' category, as a release may have never actually been planned. Though Maurice's score appeared in some copies of the film (and Maurice actually has an on-screen cameo), the common version replaces his score with that of another composer. Thus, while it's possible that a soundtrack LP by Maurice could have been considered very early on, it most likely never went beyond the consideration phase. The reason it's even worth including here is that bootleggers actually took it upon themselves to release a CD of Maurice's score, obviously recorded directly from the film, in a deceptively legitimate-looking cover.

ANDY GIBB

While Andy was not technically a Bee Gee, as he did not appear on any of their released material, he is still a Brother Gibb, and as such, his work is often included alongside that of the other three in discographies.

[?] (UNTITLED ALBUM) (1975)
    While his older brothers were enjoying the start of their disco heyday, Andy was in Australia, trying to launch a career. He did manage to release one single there ("Words and Music"), which could have possibly been the title track of this album. Unfortunately, though this seems to have been completed, nothing else has emerged of this project.

[1] FLOWING RIVERS (1977)
    [2] SHADOW DANCING (1978)
    [3] AFTER DARK (1980)
    Andy's brief output, cut short by his alarming use of drugs. By 1980, his ability to perform had deteriorated in such a way that Barry had to step in, with the result that "After Dark" is really an uncredited collaboration between the two - even including Barry on vocals (doing his best Andy impression) when Andy's cocaine-worn abilities were not sufficient.

[?] IT'S MY NEIGHBORHOOD (aka MAN ON FIRE) (1988)
    Throughout the Eighties, Andy announced several times that he was planning a comeback album. This seems to be the most successful attempt, as it was actually given a title (which sources are unsure about - Gibb Songs calls it "It's My Neighborhood", while the official biography of the Bee Gees claims that that title was later changed to "Man On Fire.") A handful of songs are known to exist, and it seemed that Andy might've been onto something here, finally... until his death of heart disease before its completion.

Well, that's everything... let's see what we have.

BEE GEES
    * 22 officially released studio albums
    * 2 unauthorized (but still commercially available) studio albums
    * 1 unreleased (but complete) official studio album
    * 1 unreleased album not intended for public ears
    * 2 officially released live albums
    * 1 unauthorized (but still commercially available) live album
    * 3 soundtracks with notable Bee Gees involvement
    * 1 soundtrack with little Bee Gees involvement, but several older Gibb compositions (some of which aren't performed by the group themselves)
    * 1 soundtrack with a couple new Bee Gees tracks, as well as other new Gibb compositions performed by different artists

BARRY
    * 4 officially released demo albums
    * 1 sort-of officially released demo album
    * 2 officially released full-fledged studio albums (I'll put "Hawks" in here too)
    * 1 unreleased (but complete) official studio album
    * 1 unreleased album that was technically revised and released

ROBIN
    * 7 officially released studio albums
    * 1 officially released live album
    * 1 possibly forthcoming studio album
    * 1 unreleased (but complete) official solo album
    * 1 unreleased solo album that may not actually exist

MAURICE
    * 1 officially released stage cast album, with other artists
    * 2 unreleased (but complete) official solo albums (I'm putting "A Breed Apart" in here)
    * 1 unreleased and probably unfinished solo album
    * 1 unreleased and probably unfinished collaboration with Ringo Starr
    * 1 unreleased soundtrack probably not planned for release

ANDY
    * 3 officially released albums
    * 1 unreleased (but complete) official solo album
    * 1 unreleased and unfinished solo album

It wouldn't really be fair to tally these up, as it's impossible to say what should be included in the tally. One thing to remember, however, is that despite the general distinction between group and solo albums, the group actually tends to lump solo works (sometimes, but not always, including Andy's) together with group recordings - solo tracks have appeared on official Bee Gees compilations, for example, and the upcoming "Mythology" box even includes a disc of Andy material. So it's fair to say that most of not all of the above albums can be considered 'Bee Gees albums', even if they're not strictly such.

Total, the four brothers at least stamped their headlining names on an astounding *65* albums, but again, this is a very, very broad look at their wide body of recordings.

Incidentally, as a note for collectors, very few of these (despite the wealth of unreleased projects) are totally unavailable - much of the rare material is available in bootleg form somewhere. These are the items you shouldn't hold your breath for, because you won't find 'em:
    • BEE GEES - third Australian album [in its entirety - "If I Needed Someone" and "Another Tear Falls" have never emerged into the collector's circuit]
    • BARRY - "Guilty Pleasures Demos" [entire tracks - the bootleg CD contains the truncated versions!]
    • ROBIN - "My Own Work"
    • ROBIN - "50 St. Catherine's Drive" [what exists of it now, at least]
    • MAURICE - untitled synthesizer album with Ringo
    • MAURICE - "Strings and Things"
    • ANDY - untitled Australian album
    • ANDY - "It's My Neighborhood" (or "Man On Fire")

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. TheLazenby

Oh!! I missed one for the Robin section, somehow!

[?] SESAME STREET FEVER (1978)
    The "Sgt. Pepper" soundtrack wasn't the only eventual bargain bin classic from this year - but this one manages to be quite entertaining as well. For the sake of allowing his children to meet the Muppets, Robin took part in this LP offering six tracks, three of which feature him to some degree (one sung with others, one being a solo vocal, and one offering a brief speaking engagement with Cookie Monster). Obviously, this doesn't really count as a Robin Gibb solo album, but his involvement is prominent enough to merit inclusion in his personal discography. As an interesting footnote, a DJ-oriented mix of the title track was created that dropped out all vocals *but* Robin's, leaving his lines out of context and quite awkward!

3. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Spicks and Specks at least came out as a 45 in Japan on the Seven Seas label.Don't know about an LP.Pictre cover of the 45 looks like the LP,I think.I have one and can dig it out.

4. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have Turn Around,Look At Us as an original NZ press.I have also seen it from Taiwan.

5. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

What an amazingly comprehensive list! Thanks for sharing this. I'm nearly finished reading Andrew Sandoval's book (The Day By Day Story 1945-1972). From his description of certain unreleased outtakes, it sure sounds like there's a lot of quality stuff yet to look forward to. Hopefully Rhino resumes the catalog reissue campaign soon. It's been pretty quiet for a couple years.

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I recall some interview (Goldmine Magazine?) where they said that shortly after arriving in the UK, they recorded mostly Beatles songs for an unused project.

7. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Is it possible to make a Bee Gees only lp using Sat. Night Fever songs and other material recorded during the same period but not released on other Bee Gees lps? Are there enough leftovers? If so, what are they?

8. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

1. Stayin' Alive
    2. How Deep Is Your Love
    3. Night Fever
    4. More Than a Woman
    5. If I Can't Have You
    6. (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away
    7. Warm Ride

Possible (unconfirmed) demo versions:
    Emotion
    Save Me, Save Me
    Ain't Nothing Gonna Keep Me From You

Alternate versions:
    Night Fever (Early state version, labelled "Demo" on Rhino.com)
    (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away (Early state version)
    Stayin' Alive (w. slow bridge section)

A little later but if there is a demo of Grease perhaps that too can be a contender.
    Maybe throw in the long version of Stayin' Alive as a bonus as well (It's already on the Greatest remaster but...).

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What an album the 1977 material would have made, without the albatross of being tied to a disco movie. It still would have been a big hit, with all the smash singles, but would have sold far fewer copies and not been such a cultural phenomenon which may have prevented such a big backlash.

Interesting list although I would not include Sesame Street fever in their catalog! Does it annoy anyone else that Stigwood called their international debut Bee Gees 1st?

10. TheLazenby

There are "unreleased long versions" on YouTube of four Saturday Night Fever tracks - and I do believe them to be legit, because of the alternate vocals and unused instrumental sections they present - and with those, you can actually make a SNF album easily. Like so:

SIDE 1
    01) Stayin' Alive (unreleased long version)
    02) How Deep Is Your Love
    03) Night Fever (unreleased long version)
    04) More Than A Woman (extended mix from SNF promo LP)

SIDE 2
    01) If I Can't Have You
    02) (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away
    03) Warm Ride
    04) Jive Talkin' (unreleased long version)
    05) You Should Be Dancing (unreleased long version)

Yes, it repeats two songs from previous albums, but these versions are so different it doesn't matter.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. TheLazenby

Shame we never heard anything from that! They actually have a TON of Beatles tunes under their belt....

* Please Please Me - Aussie TV appearance
    * From Me To You - Aussie TV appearance
    * Ticket To Ride - Inception/Nostalgia
    * Paperback Writer - Inception/Nostalgia
    * You Won't See Me - Inception/Nostalgia
    * If I Needed Someone - Australian outtake (uncirculated)
    * Rain - Maurice Gibb outtake (uncirculated)
    * a Beatles medley performed on Midnight Special
    * Hey Jude - performed on Midnight Special with Wilson Pickett
    * Sun King - All This and World War II
    * Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight - All This and World War II
    * She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - All This and World War II
    * Lovely Rita - WWII outtake (uncirculated)
    * She's Leaving Home - WWII outtake (uncirculated)
    * Sgt. Pepper / With A Little Help From My Friends - Sgt. Pepper
    * Getting Better - Sgt. Pepper
    * I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Sgt. Pepper
    * Good Morning Good Morning - Sgt. Pepper
    * She's Leaving Home - Sgt. Pepper
    * Oh! Darling - Sgt. Pepper
    * Polythene Pam / Bathroom Window / Nowhere Man / Sgt. Pepper (Reprise) - Sgt. Pepper
    * Because - Sgt. Pepper
    * Carry That Weight - Sgt. Pepper
    * Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite - Sgt. Pepper
    * A Day In The Life - Sgt. Pepper
    * Let It Be - Spirits Having Flown outtake
    * Lady Madonna - Barry outtake from "Guilty" sessions + 21st century live performance (both uncirculated)
    * Imagine - 21st century live performance (uncirculated)

I believe there are others as well that I can't remember.

And, ironically enough, two Beatles songs in very bad quality (a BBC performance of "Devil In Her Heart" and "What's The New Mary Jane?") have been bootlegged by a particularly untruthful fan as 'unreleased Bee Gees material'.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. TheLazenby

Absolutely. Especially when people call that a strong debut album. Their authorized biography nicknames it "Bee Gees' 4th", presumably counting "Inception/Nostalgia" as the third. ("Turn Around Look At Us" was released AFTER "First", which makes a chronological trek through their discography a bit jarring.)

13. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Please consider that at this time the Bee Gees were a five-piece band and this was their first album as a complete band. Today the Bee Gees are seen as just the three brothers, but in those days there was also Colin Peterson and Vince Melouney, who even contributed a song on a Bee Gees album.

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

How many times has the Rare Precious And Beautiful Aussie tracks been compiled? Pickwick released two truncated versions, and I have an import named Glasshouse.

Oh, and a question that most Bee Gees fans probably already know, Who was the fourth guy on the back of Best Of Bee Gees?

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Colin Peterson - Vince had left already and robin was about to.

16. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

For anyone who does not already have it, 'Brilliant From Birth' is a 2-cd set with 60 Australian recordings in mostly-good sound. That covers all but 5 tracks that precede 'Bee Gees 1st' or so I have read.

goodiesguy and sixtiesstereofan like this.
  17. ferdinandhudson

Except for the fact that Inception/Nostalgia wasn't issued until 1970 so that too doesn't really match either. Personally, I feel that "Turn Around, Look At Us" is the more likely candidate as it is closer to the release of "1st" and per the authorized bio it is also listed together with "Sing & Play" and "Spicks and Specks".
    I don't believe those extended versions were made at the same time as the originals were released and likely much recent constructions. Far too many unofficial remixes came about after the Greatest remaster with its host of remixes and leaks of the a capella tracks for instance.

18. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Vince Melouney co-wrote "Such A Shame" with Maurice Gibb, they sing the lead together.

19. TheLazenby

Yes, but remember - the Bee Gees did seem to be working on a third Australian LP when they left, given the wealth of Gibb compositions they recorded at the time. Not to mention, there is actually a test pressing of an album from that time featuring the cover versions they were doing then.

20. ferdinandhudson

While Maurice contributed to the recording of the song he had no hand in writing it. It is solely a Melouney composition.
    Yes, but it wasn't released so technically wouldn't count. There were three official Australian albums released where the third one was merely capitalizing on their newfound international success. The fact that it was released after "1st" is most likely a chronological oversight on the part of David Leaf and the Gibbs when writing the book.
    Which the Gibbs have completely written off as goofing off in the Hurstville studio and never actually intended for release.

21. A friend of mine has or had a 45 from japan of the bee gees ,but they use the name the TIGERS (darn i cant remember the name of the song,)but i know it was something i never heard before and i have most of the bee gees lps and cds. anyone know why the bee gees would go under the name of the tigers? the 45 even had b.gibb and r.gibb as the song writers. I think my friend bought it when he was stationed over in japan back in the 70s i believe.

22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Looks good to me. :)

23. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

My head is spinning. I consider myself the biggest BeeGees fan but I had not heard of some of these.Oddly I consider SNF a BeeGees record. I would definitely consider the Here At Last live album.

I really wish Rhino would continue to remaster their albums especially Main Course. There are too many compilations out here. I Bought the 4 disc Tale Of The Brother Gibbs when it came out. I saw the Mythlogy 4 disc set for cheap $27.99 in the stores, I was going to buy it for a few songs I did not have but then decided not too. They should release a CD of rare tracks but us fans I guess are not a big enough market.

24. ferdinandhudson

The Tigers was a Japanese group which were given a song, "Smile for me", and they were not Bee Gees using a pseudonym. Barry also appeared in their film Hi London.

25. TheLazenby

Don't feel bad - I once heard a song called "Just Another Song" by The Trixons, which I was CERTAIN was First-era Bee Gees under a false name.

It isn't, though, but the resemblance is stunning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.