The best live album in recent memory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

Ry Cooder and Corridos Famosos Live at the Great Music Hall San Francisco. And a great sounding LP and comes with a CD

image.jpg

footlooseman, SG47, jlf and 7 others like this.
  2. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

This recent Third Man Vault package with Will Nelson and friends is pretty darn good!!

jimhb likes this.
  3. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

I'm not into live albums as much as I used to be, but here are some fairly recent ones I really dig, and a favorite:

Wilco - Kicking Television: Live in Chicago (2005)
    Pearl Jam - Live at the Gorge 05/06 (2007)
    David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk
    Prince - One Night Alone Live (2002)

Personal favorite: Lyle Lovett - Live in Texas (1999)

4. Voynich

Voynich Forum Resident

One of the best live albums I've heard recently is: "Lila Downs y La Misteriosa En Paris-Live A FIP".

5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Okonokos by My Morning Racket

6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Bauhaus "This is For When", a 2009 release of a blisteringly good 1981 concert.

Would have also been David Bowie "Nassau 1976" released in 2011, but the CD is brickwalled and sounds like trash.

scobb, Tim Bucknall and jimhb like this.
  7. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

I think Metallica's live soundtrack of "Through the Never" is killer! Can't pry it out of my CD player.

8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

IMO, still nothing compares to The Who's "Live at Leeds"

9. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I am taking recent memory to mean something released in the past ten to fifteen years.
    Lucinda Williams Live At The Fillmore
    Levon Helm Ramble At The Ryman
    Paul Simon Live In NYC
    Bruce Springsteen The Seeger Sessions Live In Dublin
    Glen

10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

That get a vote from me too!

As does this recorded in November 1975 but released in 2005 from the Greatest live act ever........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    jlf, aforchione, levi and 7 others like this.
  11. hodgo

12. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

If we stay within last ten years or so (for the actual recording time), there are still quite a few solid live albums I have acquainted with so far. Today many artists make their entire concert recordings available through the specialized sites, part of them in traditional CD format. Although this approach requires a bit of investigation which dates are quality ones, it pays off a lot in the end since you get the real deal and not a trimmed, studio-tinkered product devised by record label execs.

Here is some sampling of the cream from the last decade:

Chris Brotherhood Robinson - "CRB Roadshow, Brooklyn, NY (Jun 29)", 2012, 3CD - great show of the true heirs of Band, Allmans and Dead!
    Divine Comedy - "Live At Someset House", 2010, 3CD - acoustic, piano-only recital filled with charming songs
    Charles Lloyd - "Anthens Concert", 2010, 2CD - acoustic jazz mixed with traditional Greek folk singer
    BraamDeJoodeVatcher - "Quartet", 2009, 2CD - modern avant-guard jazz does not get any better than this
    Goldmund - "Live At The Triple Door", 2009 - lovely, minimal piano recital resembling Eric Satie
    Carlos Bica - "Materia Prima", 2008 - haunting Ribot-esque guitar landscapes evoking "Paris-Texas" soundtrack
    Efterklang - "Performing Parades", 2008 - ambitious rendition of an indie-rock concept album with orchestra
    Angles - "Every Woman Is A Tree", 2007 - energetic and joyous jazz with eastern flavours
    Area C - "Planetarium Project", 2007, 2CD - modern psychedelic space exploration
    Andrew Bird - "Live In Montreal", 2007 - best modern singer-songwriter, no contest - check his live "Fingerlings" series too
    Jakob Bro - "White Rainbow", 2007 - tasty, modern big-band free-jazz a bit similar to classic Charlie Haden Liberation Orchestra
    Dave Douglas - "Moonshine", 2007 - modern jazz-rock evoking early seventies Miles' fusion
    Living Colour - "Paris Concert", 2007, 2CD - still great band in raging performance!
    Medeski, Martin & Wood - "Free Magic: Live", 2007 - pure jazzy jam magic
    William Parker - "Double Sunrise Over Neptune", 2007 - absolutely stunning musical statement on par with Charles Mingus oeuvre
    REM - "Live At The Olympia", 2007, 2CD - lovely career retrospective with a lot of half-forgotten gems from the past
    Sylvie Courvoisier - "Lonelyville", 2006 - modern chamber jazz of the highest grade
    Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood - "Live: In Case The World Changes Its Mind", 2006, 2CD - scorching jam rock with great guitar and organ solos
    Opeth - "Roundhouse Tapes", 2006, 2CD - current kings of progressive-metal
    Gomez - "Out West", 2005, 2CD - indie-band delivering rootsy rock in the Fillmore
    Nagl, Bernstein, Akchoté & Jones - "Big Four Live", 2005 - avant-guard jazz at its absolute best
    Paul Weller - "Catch-Flame!", 2005, 2CD - great live set with traditional double live album feel
    Wilco - "Kicking Television - Live In Chicago", 2005, 2CD - for me it is their peak
    Zita Swoon - "Camera Concert - A Band In A Box", 2005 - great songs, beautiful arrangements, rock chançon at its best
    King's X - "Live All Over The Place", 2004, 2CD - they still have it, but check also their site for some older live recordings from their prime
    Allman Brothers Band - "One Way Out", 2003, 2CD - blistering twin guitar duel not far behind the classic lineup, wow
    Life Of Agony - "River Runs Again", 2003, 2CD - a great modern hard-rock live album
    Damien Rice - "Live From The Union Chapel", 2003 - popular singer-songwriter in an intimate setting, really charming
    Bar Kokhba Sextet - "50th Birthday Celebration: Bar Kokhba Sextet", 2003, 3CD - great, great mixture of jazz and rock in Sephardic sauce

j-d

breakingglass, Mychkine, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  13. hodgo

14. Bob M

Bob M Well-Known Member

If recent is the criteria, I would vote for Anestnetize Live in Tilburg by Porcupine Tree.

15. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Have you heard anything post 1970?

16. Mazzy

Well the thread is going where it's going. But my original idea which I didn't explain well was about something new. But go where it shall.

17. Mazzy

That was my original idea but I was specific.

18. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This is a great album. I even like it better than the Showtime album from the same venue in 1976. Great sound and impeccable playing.

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

White Stripes

PennyLanes likes this.
  20. Lou Pittman

Lou Pittman Member

What are we talking about here?

1) Recent releases?
    2) Recent recordings?
    3) An album one remembered recently?

??

21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

My favorites from the past few years (most of them filmed and also available on DVD or blu-ray):

Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve: Live In Mexico City
    Opeth - In Live Concert At Royal Albert Hall
    Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
    Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
    Rush - Snakes & Arrows Live
    Iron Maiden - Flight 666
    Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes
    Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere...
    Riverside - Reality Dream

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Green Day Awesome As F**k
    Bought Live at The Olympia,but as someone who has heard a bunch of live b***legs on REM,I didn't think they were at their best.
    My big regret was there was no live album on these guys.The album has some of Albarn's best songs,and the clips of YouTube,like this one,are great.

23. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

The Wanda Jackson Live At Third Man was kinda disappointing.

24. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

The Brussels Affair '73 - The Rolling Stones

25. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Does this count as "recent"?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.