The Best Live Albums ever!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Outside of jazz recordings, I'm not a particularly big fan of live recordings, and they are always the last CDs I buy when I'm buying an artist's complete catalogue. That said, my favorite live recordings and exceptions to my rule are:
    Wings Over America;
    Supertramp-Paris;
    Joe Jackson- Big World (all new songs recorded live w/o overdubs and with strict instructions for the crowd not to applaud until the song was completely over!)

2. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

good god, I can't believe nobody has mentioned "band of gypsies" by monsieur Jimi.....!!!

and I guess the "experience hendrix" set that was released a couple years ago, more recordings from the same dates.

my other vote would be "live at leeds" though.

and "the wall", pink floyd release was really well done too, but if they'd released it a decade ago it probably would have sold better (?)

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm wishin for The Cee Dee debut of "Home, Home On The Road"- The New Riders Of The Purple Sage...My homemade CDR will have to do for now...Maybe a future BGO release?

4. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

One that hasn't been mentioned.Crossroads II Live In The Seventies Eric Clapton.Especially the first CD from 1974 one of his many peak years.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Oh yea! I forgot to add that one...One of my favorite's. I remember when it was first released, I played it over and over. Neil's Acoustic part is my favorite! Just a great vibe on that one, especially for a young teen back then. I dig the extended Cee Dee! Sounds great...

6. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I've never been a huge fan of live albums, much preferring albums recorded in the studio.

However, here's a few live albums that have played a large part in my life:

Neil Diamond - Hot August Night. My mum loved this album to peices. Amazing to think that it stayed in New Zealand's top 30 from its 1973 release through to 1976. I have the original CD release in two separate CD cases. Anyone heard the recent reissue with extra tracks?

Bee Gees - Here at last, live. My dad's wife bought this as a birthday present for in 1977, several months before Saturday Night Fever came out. I immediately fell in love with their early songs and have been a big Bee Gees fan ever since, even through the period when they were ridiculed.

Van Morrison - It's Too Late To Stop Now. Another 1973 release, huh? Who said the seventies were bad? Outside of Moondance this was my introduction to Van.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.