The best music is the music you were introduced to at 14...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nikoline, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikoline

Nikoline Forum Resident Thread Starter

I heard someone state the other day that she believed the best Music is the music that was released or introduced to you when you were 14.

I wonder if there's not a grain of truth in that.

To what extent is this relevant to your taste in music today? Still in love? And who did you find at that age, that you later said goodbye to?

I found Genesis at 14, and still love them more than life itself today. :)

2. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

That would be Crime of the Century, and yes it's still important to me, though my wife does roll her eyes and wonders how I can listen to this awful 70's crap

3. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I was 14 when Anarchy In The UK was released...............enough said!!

JuanTCB and trem two like this.
  4. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I was 14 in 1964. It's impossible for me to tell you how absolutely lucky I feel for that.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Probably true for many, especially those who had an older sibling. But for me college was far more influential to opening me up to various bands/genres than high school was.

jdrueke, sami, Stan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

Me too!
    But I gotta say that I don't listen to much Punk anymore. I'm no longer angry at the world, just mildly irritated :shrug:

adriatikfan and Nikoline like this.
  7. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

That would be 1968 so far too many to mention.

bluejeanbaby, Tuco and OneStepBeyond like this.
  8. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

The first time I really got into music (rock music, in particular) was after a life-changing listen to Made In Japan by Deep Purple. I was about 13 back then. I didn't fully grasp it but it sounded so much heavier than anything I'd ever heard before (which was mainstream pop music for the most part) that it caught my attention. Well, that started the ball rolling...

hi_watt and Frittenköter like this.
  9. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

To some degree that's true, but I would broaden it to 14-24.

markbrow and nbakid2000 like this.
  10. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

Don't rub it in! I wasn't born until 1967 and always wished I had been born in 1950. I still grew up with a lot of great music though.

Nikoline likes this.
  11. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I don't really remember music that came into my life that the age of 14 having much of an effect on me - it was all chart stuff of the day.

There were people like Paul Young, Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet about then - they were the top sellers. Michael Jackson's Thriller was still selling masses too. Ultravox: The Collection came out and I played that lots and lots- still like the band and Midge Ure.

The artists I mention, didn't really have albums out (from this year) that I played all that much. The ones I did/do like a fair bit, I've preferred other albums by them (apart from Ultravox- which is a compilation and the Vienna album is the one that gets played today.)

I'd say it was when I was 17, that what I discovered/heard/was played to me changed everything. I was playing guitar by then and started listening to classic rock (probably not too cool to do that, back then- but I lost interest in the chart scene, totally!) And I'd got Invisible Touch the year before.... so as soon as I got a CD player for Christmas that year, I started getting all the Genesis albums. :righton: And ones I found hard to find, I bought on cassette or vinyl - sometimes I'd end up with all three! 25 years on, they're still my favourites (or top 2...? :D)

Can I ask- which album of theirs set you off on this wonderful road? After IT, I got Duke/And Then There Were Three/Foxtrot/Trespass over a few months. :)

12. grenard

grenard Forum Resident

I was 14 in 1981. It's impossible for me to tell you how absolutely lucky I feel for that.

13. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

1970... Instant Karma, Bridge, Tea For the Tillerman, Tumbleweed Connection, All Things Must Pass, then a friend introduced me to Bob Dylan via More Greatest Hits and New Morning...another vote for the original proposition.

theMess likes this.
  14. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  15. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I'll go with this premise....I was 14 when I first heard the Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, 1974. I think that's the age when you are really figuring out what kind of music you like, and probably just got your first stereo and had more control over what you listen to.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  16. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

17. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I was 14 in 1967.
    I think that was a good year for music.
    Also the year I started to attend a lot of concerts.
    But, a point against your premise is that
    I was 11 in 1964.
    That was the year that turned my musical world upside down.
    Glen

bluejeanbaby and OneStepBeyond like this.
  18. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

Although I was 15 when this came out, it changed everything for me..UP THE IRONS!!

erniebert likes this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

At 12, I had the recently released Led Zeppelin I and II albums "introduced" to me. Not too many albums that have
    come along top those two (imo).

20. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I've often heard this reworded as simply "The 'best' music is the music you listened to as a teenager". I don't put much stock into this anymore.

I have discovered so much more in the past 15 years on the internet, and there's quite a bit that blows away what I listened to as a teenager.

If anything, I'd like to be a teenager now just to have the added disposable time to explore what's out there.

The best music is the music I'm listening to now.

21. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

More like 8 for me.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think that there's a fair amount of truth to this theory--to a large extent, our tastes are formed by the time that we graduate from high school. For me, that was the point where I was crossing over from classic rock/prog into more new music/indie stuff in the mid 80's. I've tried to keep pushing myself to broaden my horizons and though I do often go back to my traditional comfort zones, I also enjoy a lot of artists now that I wouldn't have bothered with twenty years ago.

23. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

AC's Billion Dollar Babies for me! And of course I still love it.

bluejeanbaby and OneStepBeyond like this.
  24. Say

Say Forum Resident

I never knew that interest in music had a common start (or even finish) date. Generalizations I try to stay away from unless I am living proof. Thus, I have to shoot down this theory. First off, some of us were were susceptible to constant influences of music from car and home radios, TV variety shows (remember those?), cartoons (great introduction to classical music) etc. We grew to like, dislike and then compare bands with our friends, family and classmates. My first two albums were Hard Days Night and More of the Monkeys. I was 6 years old, not 14. When I was eight, I moved onto Black Sabbath Paranoid. After which my tastes into all kinds of rock grew exponentially and to this day has never stopped. Sure, we do have our comfort zones yet not out of ignorance, stupor or age but because we know what we like. We became experts.

25. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

This could very well be true. I was 14 in 1991, and I was listening to everything! I was buying a lot of the stuff on the radio, like hair bands (Current Alice Cooper, Guns N Roses, Warrant, Extreme, etc) and rap (N.W.A., Public Enemy, etc). But around Christmas time that year, I got the one my favorite gifts ever: Led Zeppeling 4-Disc Box Set! I also discovered Queen at some point that year! Great great stuff!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.