"The Best Of The Doors" 1973 Quad & original stereo Audio Fidelity SACD, adventures in mastering.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Doors cover.jpg Just received approval from the Doors management on the mastering for this so I can talk about it a bit.

First release since 1973 of the original Quad Doors mixes. Stereo section will have my new mastering of the stereophonic mixes.

I mastered both the stereo version and the quadraphonic version with Stephen Marsh and it was really a blast. Always an honor to work on the Doors, their office is always helpful, enthusiastic and eager to get it done and released. That is much appreciated, believe me.

They even suggested we take some photos of the mastering session, in fact, encouraged it. So that's unique but thanks to photographer Elton Evans, accomplished. Pics to come.

A visit to the Doors' Vault is always an adventure, it is freezing in there (I wore two jackets and an overcoat) but we had permission to recompile the 1973 BEST OF track listing from all original first generation tapes, both Quad and stereo so I pulled them all while Kenny (from the Doors office) froze beside me.

During mastering, I concentrated on the stereo stuff first, going not in order, but from non-Dolby titles to Dolby A titles. Stephen Marsh is an expert in making 50 year old Dolby tapes play back correctly and we got everything transferred to perfection before lunch (having done my actual mastering homework the week before). The QUAD reels we also did (first time) mainly because we couldn't send the analog tapes to Gus, they had to stay at the studio so we gladly did the four channel transfers from analog to high-rez.

I think that those of you who are used to the modern 5.1 surround versions of these songs will really dig the Paul Rothchild 1973 Quad attempts. And of course the stereo Bruce Botnick mixes were handled with a light mastering touch, not changing the sonic signature of the songs but simply directly the ears (or suggesting to them) a certain course for the brain to take during each song. That was fun, picking one or two songs from each album without the pressure of having to do the entire album..

One thing is clear, the talent of the great engineer Bruce Botnick. His decades old mixes hold up so nicely, they really are a pleasure to listen to. I never get tired of The Doors!

Being released in June, 2015. Won't be long!

Jarleboy, lord K, marklamb and 105 others like this.
  2. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Wow! Awesome! Can't wait to hear it, Steve!

3. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I look forward to this as I have the Quad album from the 70s.

AZRunner likes this.
  4. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I agree -- This sounds really cool!

5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

VERY cool!

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Looking forward to this.

7. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Woo hoo!!! Can't wait to get this disc! Thanks Steve and of course the Doors' management.

8. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Sounds great! Thanks for the scoop Steve!

9. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Preordered this and the Joe Cocker SACD.

Josh C and Roninblues like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Love reading about stuff like this. Thanks, Steve!

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hi Steve,

Can you elaborate a bit on why there is more pressure to do an entire album as opposed to a greatest hits? Thanks.

Edit: Or maybe you just meant that, as you jumped from album to album, it was nice to only have to do a few select songs instead of the full albums you chose songs off of.

13. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Now this is what I would say a great multichannel release! So happy that this was done and I hope that more Original Quad mixes will be done by you, Steve!

14. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

That's great news Steve, Wish I was a fly on the wall!

15. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Excellent news. Looking forward to listening to Steve's MC version. First time for me.

16. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Steve, could you upload pictures of the actual master tapes boxes? Thanks.

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

People are cold
    Love me with two jackets on
    Light a fire
    Riders on the snow storm

Seriously, why is the vault kept at that temperature..?

Zack likes this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Waiting for the Sun

19. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

And your mastering of Renaissance's Ashes Are Burning and ELP's Welcome Back My Friends is going how well...?

20. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I am so looking forward to this release. I am really enjoying hearing vintage quad mixes, too.

Steve, how much did your prior work on these songs affect your decisions this time?

21. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Quick question: when master tapes have been stored in a really cold environment, would there be a risk of damaging them if you, say, played them while they were still cold on a warm machine?

Just curious, because I once tried to play a VHS tape that had been left in a car in the dead of winter over night, and just before I tried putting it in a machine, I got a stern warning that I had to wait for the tape to warm up to room temperature, otherwise it might jam in the machine. Not sure why this would be though.

22. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

To the one person here that cares (me), Steve could you please also add a couple more details:

1. I presume these are 1/4" 15ips tapes? Which brand/variation of tape did The Doors use? (Ampex 456, etc.)
    2. NAB or CCIR equalization?

Thanks!

SKean likes this.
  23. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Thanks for the wonderful news, Steve!

24. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

One word: condensation.

Mister Charlie and showtaper like this.
  25. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Not much of a Doors fan, but for the quad version, sure.

Parkertown likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.