"The Best Of The Doors" 1973 Quad & original stereo Audio Fidelity SACD, adventures in mastering.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Most of the time the mix is 1) the vocals and guitars in the front, 2) with drums coming from the rear. It is a surround effect which is a little weird to me, but that is all it is, different. [/QUOTE]

Excellent. I enjoy mixes with unusual (but tasteful) choices. I remember people canning Ken Scott's 5.1 of Ziggy Stardust partly because of the drums being in the rear but I like it.

In any event, I have this ordered, although it's from The Doors website along with the mono Strange Days LP so I may get it some time in 2016 (if at all) going by previous ordering experiences from them.

2. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

Agree. ImportCDs already shows it out of stock.......

3. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

AMAZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DmitriKaramazov, supermd and marklamb like this.
  4. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

I just checked again and I THINK that their site is down. No CDs are accessible. This is not a Doors Greatest Hits issue.....

5. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I just picked this up at Goodwill, pretty good condition. WOW!! And that's just the Lp.

6. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Listened to the 5.1 last night, sounded great to these ears...I have not heard the drums in the back speakers as much as between the front and rear speaker, as with the phantom center on a stereo recording, so I was not startled by severe instrument separation and taken out of the music. Not a perfect quad mix but very good. With one or two exceptions it is a pretty good mix!

fredblue likes this.
  7. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I've ordered from the a day ago with 10% off. Maybe I got a last one?;)

fredblue likes this.
  8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Just got my #2588 from Importcds.com and ran through the quad mix. A few things I noticed right off :

On Hello, I Love You the backing vocals sung by ? in the left rear speaker are very loud! Louder than Jim's lead in the front. I could adjust my speakers but it's a pain and I've never had to before.
    On Riders On The Storm the toms in the rears are also incredible loud - I've never really noticed them before, they kind of distract. Also the whispering vocals in the left rear are more like "breathed" and is that Jim or someone else?

On just a quick run through, I may actually like the Perception Box 5.1 mixes better. I did love the quad mixes of Soul Kitchen and Moonlight Drive a lot, though. I'll have to check out the stereo layer next. Al in all I'm glad I got this - AF are doing a fantastic job getting these vintage quad mixes back out there - very much appreciated!

John Bliss, Simon A and fredblue like this.
  9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I surrender. I just ordered.

10. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Question.
    Steve has already mastered the stereo versions of these songs (except for WDYL). Why re-do them? They are the same mixes from the same tapes, right?

Josh C likes this.
  11. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'm guessing to venture that the almost 20 year gap between the first The Doors DCC CDs and this release means new technology exists now that could offer more. Maybe Steve or someone who knows why will chip in.

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes...see the DCC and Audio Fidelity gold discs. Why re-master? Well...it's for a reissue of an old compilation. Yes, these are the original/vintage mixes.

13. pool_of_tears

Ray and Jim did the backing vocals on Hello, I Love You.

That's Jim doing the whisper vocal on Riders On The Storm.

Turmatic, Simon A and jsayers like this.
  14. jsayers

Thank you - Ray really dominates those backing vocals, though.

15. pool_of_tears

No prob. He must've been mixed really loud.

16. bigal00769

bigal00769 Forum Resident

This is another great sounding cd. Got it for the 2 channel stereo mixes and have been cranking it every night since receiving it Monday. Really digging it. Well done again Steve!

kingofstoneage, Turmatic and Simon A like this.
  17. jsayers

I was just wondering if anyone else was hearing the backing vocals in the left rear as much as I am when listening to the quad layer. I was wondering if I needed to make adjustments if nobody else is. In Riders On The Storm the toms or bongos in the rears are also very loud. I never even noticed them before in all the times I've listened to this song!

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Often quad fans will enjoy hearing new things that they never noticed before, or things that simply were not even utilized in the stereo mix.

It tickles our fancy!

19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

He had a loud voice.

20. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

This is one SUPERB disc. I got mine from JPC in Germany. This disc more than makes up for the disappointment of the Perception Box. My front left & right and rear left and right loudspeakers are all the same Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60s, and the mix on every track sounds perfectly balanced. Nothing over-loud or distracting anywhere.

An easy 10 out of 10.

21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I did too. Amazon shows it shipped and arriving tomorrow! Can't wait!

22. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

Could be. They are showing it as "Back Ordered" now that the site is functioning again.

Also, Amazon prices seem to have bumped up.....:agree:

23. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Lovely speakers!! :drool:

oxenholme likes this.
  24. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Got mine today #689. Played the Quad mix..no one home so I cranked it!!...spectacular sound!!

Vinyl collecting is my passion, but I love a great surround mix..thank God surround discs are still being released!!

John Bliss, Chris C, fredblue and 5 others like this.
  25. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

# 1704. Superb CD. A must have for any true Doors fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.