The best Rolling Stones studio outtakes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dino77, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Probably because Dobie Gray's came out in 1973 before the Stones got a chance to press it and release it. And their version sounds just like Dobie's, IMO.

bonus likes this.
  2. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

they weren't covering his version? I agree, they sound the same.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I few others you could add are Go Home Girl, Key To The Highway and Ain't That Loving You , Baby.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

I assume they were covering the original version by a guy called John Henry Kurtz, released as a single in 1972.

cc-- likes this.
  5. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I'd say "Criss Cross Man" is their best....love that groove. Always thought it would play well over the opening credits of a Scorsese movie.

Hep Alien, misko and John Fell like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like Traveling Man & Hillside Blues quite a bit.

Hep Alien and Aftermath like this.
  7. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

There is a version of "Shake Your Hips" that really rocks, I think a lot of it is the mix, sounds very different from the released version, guitars have a much harder edge (I don't think it is the usual outtake that floats around, though it may be a different mix of it, not sure about that) .

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Fiji Gin. What the hell is this song about, anyway?

9. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

run a search for the rolling stones:black box. check out the song listing!!!

10. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Lots of good stuff mentioned here...

In addition, I would suggest...

the long ventilator blues found on the "diamonds/disease" boot

The bob clearmountain re/mix of before you make me run single

And

My all-time favorite unreleased track - invitation!!!

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I agree with everything you wrote except for the sentence in bold.

12. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I am not as up as many here on the sound values of Exile. I think some complained of "loudness" (the boosting by 3% or whatever it is of the volume that occurs with some remastering and that it affects the listening experience because you can't play it loud properly). I actually agree it is too loud in this sense and I didn't like Sticky Fingers for the same reason. But, the original record was famous for being murky and that Jagger's vocals were too low in the mix. This version of the CD fixed that, to the point I wondered if it was remixed in fact (despite what the liner notes state).

As to performance, I probably am in the minority on the board but I have to be honest that I never really liked Exile On Main Street. The songwriting was considerably inferior to that of earlier Stones albums. The performances were good but not stellar. There are some high points of course and it would have made a fine single album with more attention to production and mixing IMHO. The Stones never regained their mojo after Sticky Fingers IMO. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy a lot of their work after, e.g. I was just watching that great version of Hand Of Fate from Paris '76 (where it's great IMO again partly because Wood followed closely Wayne Perkins' work on the solos). And there are many other examples. So the presentation of Exile on that reissue for me shows that it is a good rock and roll album, indeed excellent in parts. But not a great one. Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers, as well as Ya-Ya's, were great albums.

13. ChesterB

ChesterB Well-Known Member

Drift Away
    Criss Cross Man
    Good Time Women

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. The Paris Outtakes Vol 1 & 2 from 1977-79 and consisting mostly of Some Girls material has some of the finest jams I'm ever heard.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I used to collect this stuff for many years, but in the end I come to the conclusion, that they had quite a good quality control and that there are no real jewels left in the archives (what found it's way out of those). And this is no accusation, it's praise.

misko, marcb and cc-- like this.
  16. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I agree based on what I've heard except for Plundered My Soul and that Dobie Gray cover.

17. drahffir

drahffir Forum Resident

Pay Your Dues is another worthwhile-in-it's-embryonic-form track like Good Time Women. The early version of Shine A Light that is labeled as Get A Line On You is also good.

John Fell likes this.
  18. Expert Textpert

Expert Textpert Well-Known Member

Yes, I definitely agree. I am a HUGE Stones fan, so I've bought some bootlegs - and keep checking out links to these "great outtakes" - but I have to say that very few of them are worth a second listen. The vast majority sound and unfinished, and I can see why.

IMO the only exceptions are Plundered My Soul, Drift Away, and CS Blues (the latter mostly for historical importance).

Gersh and cc-- like this.
  19. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Is there a list anywhere that includes all their outtakes? (from each album)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.