The best SHM-SACDs (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Are you judging their sound quality on an absolute level or a relative level? or a bit of both?

If relative, do you compare them just to other digital versions, or to any other version, LPs included?

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

There is only one SHM-SACD that I have on my "Avoid" list (actually, I don't have such list). That is Oscar Peterson Trio"We get request". The problem has nothing to do with brightness or tonality, it's a tape issue.

In fact, I don't have a tonality problem with a single one of my SHM-SACDs, that's include "Paranoid" and 10cc - original soundtrack.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve has posted about tape issues with We Get Requests:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-best-shm-sacds.234867/page-32#post-6591049

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-best-shm-sacds.234867/page-32#post-6590986

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ctions-hybrid-sacd.263365/page-3#post-7105310

The Analogue Productions SACD sounds good to me. I wonder which tapes they used and which tapes were used for the SHM-SACD.

4. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thanks KeithH for the links! :) I will read a bit later.
    I will buy the AP SACD. I understand that they have re-mixed the stereo part of the disc from the 3-track session reels, is that correct? This could be a nice sounding one.

When I said that I don't have any tonality problems with my SHM-SACD, that's not the same as all of them are perfect. Some of them (pop/rock) could benefits from slightly Eq corrections, like both Elton John discs. Not all tracks, only some of the tracks could need a bit Eq, Imo.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Relative level compared to the first or best CD/LP pressings (not all were available). My Outstanding category doesn't mean audiophile sound. They are just the best sounding SACDs vs original CDs/LPs.

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Member "Dave" has an MFSL list. It is 100% agreed upon by everyone on the forum!! (LOL)

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Better than the original Island? If it were the same, but with some hi-res magic, then I'd have to break down and get this.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Thanks for clarifying.

I disagree on a few of your choices, notably In The Land Of Grey & Pink, the original vinyl sounds better; altough it is difficult to find a bad-sounding version. :)

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Better than my original Island CD.

10. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

I agree, that SHM-SACD needs some serious EQ. Here are the settings I use to make it sound like (a rip of) the original UK LP:

Low shelf at 96Hz, +4dB, Q=0.45
    Peak EQ at 1920Hz, +0.6dB, Q=0.73
    Peak EQ at 16.5kHz, -6.6dB, Q=1

EQ'd like this it's my favourite version of the album. (If anybody wants to try it, I can provide an impulse file at the desired sample rate for a convolution filter.)

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I disagree, with some of Dave's choices.

12. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

About the spectral analysis posted yesterday that showed no top end boost on the SHM-SACD compared to the Castle CD.

September 15, 2010 I asked Jeff Carney if he was absolutley sure that the SHM-SACD of Paranoid was top end boosted compared to the Castle CD. He replied that he was absolutley sure of that the SHM-SACD has more treble than the 1986 Castle CD.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/shm-sacd-paranoid.227823/page-3#post-5802385

This is not about collecting points for right or wrong. For me, the interesting question is why some of us are hearing more treble on the SHM-SACD compared to the CD, when the measurments can't identify it. What exactly are Jeff Carney and others hearing other than treble boost on the SHM-SACD?

13. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Oops, I forgot that Castle Paranoid CD (NELCD 6003) was mastered with pre-emphasis, so my spectral graph comparisons posted earlier were incorrect... Here are the new ones for War Pigs & Iron Man tracks (@ equal perceived loudness):

- War Pigs:

• Spectral Analysis
      WP-NELCDvsSACD.JPG
    • Delta WP-NELCDvsSACD-delta.JPG
    - Iron Man:

• Spectral Analysis IM-NELCDvsSACD.JPG
    • Delta WP-NELCDvsSACD-delta.JPG
    Indeed, more bass & treble and less mids on SHM-SACD compared to de-empasized Castle CD (NELCD 6003). BTW, the DR numbers for Castle CD are:

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Black Sabbath / Paranoid
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR13      -2.40 dB   -17.60 dB      7:56 01-War Pigs
    DR11      -4.13 dB   -16.74 dB      2:49 02-Paranoid
    DR15      -6.13 dB   -23.67 dB      4:25 03-Planet Caravan
    DR13      -4.96 dB   -19.78 dB      5:55 04-Iron Man
    DR12      -2.74 dB   -16.78 dB      4:50 05-Electric Funeral
    DR12      -1.31 dB   -17.51 dB      7:08 06-Hand Of Doom
    DR11      -5.83 dB   -20.33 dB      2:30 07-Rat Salad
    DR12      -1.59 dB   -15.26 dB      6:15 08-Fairies Wear Boots
    DR13      -2.28 dB   -17.70 dB     18:52 09-Wicked World (Live)

Number of tracks:  9
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   16
    Bitrate:           821 kbps
    Codec:             FLAC

14. The John Barleycorn SHM-SACD sounds magical, better than the other digital versions I've heard. It is smooth, warm and detailed. One disc I think should be higher on Claus's list is the Cream SHM-SACD.

Macman likes this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Looks like what I heard on the Paranoid SACD.

16. KeithH

I wish they would have released more Traffic on SHM-SACD.

MisterBritt likes this.
  17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well, I'll have to track down Barleycorn now. Of course, then I'll only be wishing for more Traffic too.

MisterBritt likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Below is a quote from the Elusive Disc listing for the We Get Requests APO SACD listing. I have the APO SACD and I think it sounds excellent :).

George Marino says the Verve masters are in excellent condition, with just one exception.

"The one problem we had was an Oscar Peterson one – We Get Requests," he says. "We played through it and there was a lot of weirdness going on, and the tape was really deteriorating. But what happened was they got the original three-track on that, and the three-track was great. So it all worked out in the end. That was the one tape that gave us a headache."

So imagine that. We Get Requests, of course, is a timeless audiophile classic. But the stereo master was shot. Given that we know the three-track hadn't been used before, this means that all those great reissues of this record to date? They were made from copies of the master. Now we get to hear the original three-track master!

"And it's the best sounding of all of them," Marino says. "Excellent sounding record."

Those reissues you've heard up until now – definitely still breathy, warm and rich – were made from something less than the master. Prepare to hear the veil removed.

Bill

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You've got that wrong, Bill. Really wrong.

20. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Enlighten us please, Steve.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Steve,

OK. I took that quote directly from the listing on the Elusive Disc website. So were those comments from George Marino incorrect?

Bill

22. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, it's hard to tell on my iPhone. Is that all a quote? First of all, I remastered WE GET REQUESTS 10 years or so ago. The stereo master was going down the drain, yes. But it was used to master all the LP's and CD versions of the album. The three-track is a work part. It is unmixed, it is not the master. It's being used now because they have no choice but it's not an original anything, it's a pre-mix. Dig? So, who is remixing it? What machine is it being played back on? What is it being mixed to? What about the reverb? What about, etc. ,etc. etc. etc..?

I'm sure it will sound fine but let's not get carried away with this..

23. KeithH

Steve, if you get a chance to hear the Analogue Productions SACD, I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Steve,

No problem, I understand :). Yes it was all a quote from this listing from Elusive Disc. I would never make a personal statement like that as my knowledge of this is as limited as it gets. So please feel free to have a gort delete my post if the information is incorrect or controversial.

Bill

25. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, Bill, not your fault. Just bugs me when statements like "Prepare to hear the veil removed" drive me crazy. If they thought it sounded so good why didn't they go back to the three-tracks on ALL the dang releases?

Snort. :^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.