The best SHM-SACDs (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

OK.

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, of course all of these things mattter a lot, like playback machines, what is it being mixed to, reverb, other electronics involved, etc. You and Kevin did it the hard way whit the Nat King Cole SACDs with echo chambers and all that. But what route did Marino choose?

My expectations is not that high. I think Marino sliped on his last days, could'nt do a simple stereo transfer right. I was really dissapointed with the Cat Stevens Tillerman SACD. Slightly grainy/mechanical/solid state, no emotions, no of the good feelings that is buried in reels. Everyone that has compared, prefer the HDTracks by large, or vinyl or MFSL CD. I've read that Chad Kassem is mad about quality. If he was, he should asked Marino if this was the best he could do with a 40 year career.
    I also bought a couple of the Verve SACDs, mastered by Marino, both left me cold.

3. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

About the updated spectral analysis for Paranoid SACD and Castle CD. This pre-emphasis and de-emphasis is really a wiered thing. We should have the original LP as a reference.

But it could be that the SACD has a some eq lift in the bottom and highs. But let it be by that. I'm not a person that listen analythical. For most of the time I try not to let the left side of my brain be to much involved in listening. If it's rock... it's rock, if it swings... it swings, if it's good... it's good. If a record grip you, it grips you, simple as that.
    It is those records that you unconsiously pick when you stand in front of record collection and want to be enjoyed, those are the good ones! Paranoid SACD is one of them.

RiRiIII likes this.
  4. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Steve, which version of "We Get Requests" did you do?

5. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

$11 shipping is a little steep from Music Direct on the Diana Krall Love Scenes SACD. They must want you to buy $100 worth of product every time. I'll try and find it locally.

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is EJ GBYBR an appreciable upgrade from the MFSL? And same with Wheels of Fire- better than DCC?

I plan to upgrade my CD/SACD player to "entry level dCS" territory in a few years. Should be a pretty nice step up on my excellent Cary and my system is fairly revealing, so I'd expect that incremental improvements in sound quality will be easily appreciated.

Thanks for the advice!

7. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

If you spliced the mastering done for the MFSL Gold CD with the resolution of the SHM-SACD, then you probably ended up with the perfect GBYBR. But hey...we don't live in a perfect reality.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As I understand it, he mastered it for DCC but it was never released. (That's what I recall reading, but if I am wrong, then this post should be obliterated.)

9. KeithH

Overall, I prefer the EQ on the MFSL gold CD. The SHM-SACD is much better than the original SACD, but it is still bright in spots. I loved the SHM-SACD on my first few listens because it is an improvement over the original SACD, but as I continued to listen to it and then grabbed the MFSL gold CD, I realized the SHM-SACD was not as warm as it should be.

10. KeithH

Try amazon.com.

11. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I think you would be very happy with the spliced version between the Gold CD and the SHM-SACD. :agree:

The SHM-SACD is ok, but not one of the best. I play the S/T Elton John SHM-SACD more.

12. KeithH

I agree. Take the mastering of the MFSL gold CD and resolution of SACD, and you would have a real winner. Since Audio Fidelity mastered Rock of the Westies to gold CD, perhaps they will give us an SACD of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I know some would give complain given the quality of the MFSL gold CD and that there are already two SACDs, but I think an Audio Fidelity SACD would be the ultimate version.

13. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yea
    Yeah, could be. But before another GYBR, I wish Captain Fantastic and Don't shoot me.

And I agree with you, the MFSL CD has a nice analogue warmth to it.

14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Now that the SHM-SACD Rock/Pop efforts from UMG Japan are defunct here is my final list of SHM-SACD opinions in a Claus type format. My list of course is limited to SACD's I owned or once owned.

* = my preferred digital version

Amazing:
    Black Sabbath - Master of Reality * - a top contender for best digital audio I've ever heard
    Black Sabbath - Vol4 * - never thought this album could sound this good.
    The Who - Quadrophenia * - nice to have whole album on 1 disc - MFSL remains best redbook
    The Who - Who's Next * - SH's MCA Japan for US and Canada for Canada remain my favorite redbook's

Excellent but my feeling the recording itself is only so-so:
    Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath * - 1986 Castle while excellent is now in 2nd place
    Cream - Wheels Of Fire [still have not decided between this and the DCC just too close to call] - nice to have whole album on 1 disc

OK:
    The Who - The Singles - I know the mixes and track listing differ a bit but all things considered I like my old WG CD better

Avoid/waste of money:
    Allman Brothers - Live Fillmore East - I never want to hear this cruddy mastering again. The MFSL remains definitive.
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid - The P33p unique mastering remains king with the original 1986 Castle right on it's heels
    Dire Strait's - s/t - I never want to hear this cruddy mastering again.
    Dire Strait's Making Movies - I never want to hear this cruddy mastering again.

Sonic equivalent of Excrement:
    Police - Outlandos D'Amour - contender for the worst digital audio I've ever heard
    Police - Synchronicity - possibly the worst digital audio I've ever heard. Given this is one of the better quality 80's recordings it's even more amazing how this is SACD is a total abomination.

So after all is said and done for me the hit to miss ratio on the SHM-SACD's was 50/50. The rule that nothing is absolute in the audio world once again is proved to be the only truth in audio.

15. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------
    Thanks...I forgot, as Steve Martin might say. It says from 2004, so is that the SH version? I hope.

16. KeithH

I could agree to that. :)

17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Nothing weird about pre-emphasis, IMO. Here is how CD pre-emphasis spectral analysis curve looks like:

Pre-emphasis.jpg

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Jim,

I'm assuming your are looking to get the Love Scenes SHM-SACD. Is the SQ of the SHM-SACD that much better than the Verve SACD? I'm curious if the added cost of the SHM-SACD is worth it from a SQ perspective.

Bill

19. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------
    It seems that the Amazon offered SACD is not the SHM one, as it has a date of 2004. I did not see this new one on his webpage discography. Maybe I'm confused, which is not uncommon. Some say the SHM version is the best. To me, there is no reason for them (MD) not to ship media mail for $5-$6.
    http://www.amazon.com/Love-Scenes-D...d=1370129362&sr=1-4&keywords=diana+krall+sacd

20. KeithH

That's the original, non-SHM SACD. It sounds very good to me.

Having just checked, I'm surprised there are no copies of the SHM-SACD on ebay.com.

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

In the case of Evans and Pepper, are the SHM-SACDs better than the original VDJ series?

As for 'We Get Requests', it is unclear to me what to get. I have an old "black face" WG Polydor with '02' matrix that I need to listen to. Compared to that, what should I expect with the Analogue Productions versus the SHM-SACD?

And finally, is 'Tommy' SHM-SACD better than the Japan P58P?

22. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

---------------
    I'll wait and see if the SHM SACD shows up on amazon. Their shipping of $3.99 is reasonable.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yes !!!

Haven't heard Pepper's VDJ pressing.

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I agree with your list... except Vol.4. The original Vertigo LP is the king.

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

But you'll take the SHM-SACD Vol. 4 over any other digital?

A bit off-topic, but will a sub- $1,000 turntable playing the Vertigo LP beat, say, the SACD on an entry level dCS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.