The Beverly Hillbillies- how about more DVD releases?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I do not go by lists to chose a TV show I love...or make me love any I do not like...so that's moot to me. your disdain for the BH is disturbing to me but, fine as it's your opinion...I'd like to see a list of your favorites...my favorites list is huge...there are many that I'd love to own.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

As far as I am concerned, they could burn the masters for some of the shows ranked highly on that list and the world would be a better place. ;)

Seriously, at the risk of repeating myself, we all have different taste. I'd sooner not watch anything that have to sit through Curb Your Enthusiasm (#30 on that list), for example. As to releasing more Beverly Hillbillies, I hope it's done because some of the seasons yet to be released contain some of my favorite Hillbilly moments.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

TBH is a lot funnier than most modern sitcoms, to me.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, Curb is a terrific show. Really, really well-done. I'm hoping that Larry David will finally get around to doing a few more seasons for HBO. Comparing Curb to The Beverly Hillbillies is kind of like comparing The Sopranos to Dragnet: vaguely in the same direction, but not even close in terms of quality.

I had similar opinions of Beverly Hillbillies when I was a kid. It's basically one joke over and over again: look how funny and tasteless these Ozark idiots are in a $10 million house! I think the Green Acres spinoff was actually a more interesting idea, plus it was completely bizarre and out there in terms of plot. A pig that could turn the channels of a TV set? A telephone at the top of a telephone pole you had to climb in order to answer? A hen that laid square eggs? It's a very peculiar show. In the final season of Green Acres, people forget that Oliver Douglas started to kind of accept everything going on, and they had to bring in new characters to overreact to all the craziness, which I thought was a strange (but apt) change in the story.

But in truth, none of these comedies date well. All of them are kind of bogged down in the time they took place. Some shows, like The Munsters, sort of still work in a strange way because time stands still within the episode. Stuff like Beverly Hillbillies was bad then, bad now, and just takes up space inbetween commercials. I don't get the appeal, 45 ears after the last episode left the network. I don't think it's even a good choice as a syndicated show, because it's too dated.

5. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I am surprised that the entire run isn't out on DVD. Love it or hate it, Jed and his kin were very popular. It is still broadcasted today...my box says familynet and cmt carry it. Were early sales disappointing...people not buying what they can watch for free?
    I see the limitations of the show..it's a one joke repeated 271 times, But there some times when I laugh out loud. Besides a tv show can't be worthless if Gloria Swanson plays herself in it.

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

A funny joke told over and over again is still more enjoyable than nonsense which, to me, describes everything Larry David has been involved with. I know I'm bucking up against critical and popular opinion here, but I just don't see the appeal in Curb Your Enthusiasm at all, just as I did not get the love for Seinfeld at all.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We clearly have different tastes. I concede that funny to one person is not funny to somebody else; there's probably nothing more dividing than comedy. You either laugh, or you don't. I think both shows are crazy-funny, but I can see where some audiences would be turned off because the characters in both shows are so self-absorbed, arrogant, and obnoxious (which often leads to their downfall).

8. Michael

well we just got season 4 that's promising!

9. Michael

without a doubt...top quality cast made it all work perfectly. I cannot find a bad one in the bunch...they are absolutely perfect in their roles.:)

Grand_Ennui and lv70smusic like this.
  10. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I never really cared for Beverly Hillibillies - I always liked Green Acres a LOT more. Petticoat Junction was OK.

I don't own any of the DVD sets, but what I liked about seasons 2 and 3 is that hey carried original sponsor opening titles. I wish more sets would do that rather than the standard syndication openings you see anywhere. If you're paying to own a copy of the show they SHOULD include extras like that.

I don't believe the season4 set has these extras, does it? I'd like to get some in color. Maybe future releases?

11. Michael

season 4 is in color with no extras...I'm thrilled to get season 4! hopefully they will continue on.
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/62953/beverly-hillbillies-the-official-fourth-season-the/

12. PaulKTF

I wonder if we'll see Season 5 anytime soon? They sure are taking their time with this show.

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

Walmart had an exclusive on season 4 for a year IIRC...maybe they will do the same for S5? have you checked their site?

14. PaulKTF

No, but TVShowsOnDVD.com would have mentioned if Season 5 was out at Walmart and they haven't.

15. Michael

Ah, yes...I see.

16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree about Green Acres. It was such a bizarre show at times, that it made sense that when characters from the other shows in the Henning Trio (The Beverly Hillbillies, and Petticoat Junction) made an appearance they would look slightly ill at ease. It makes you wonder if that is where Mulder grew up.

17. Michael

GA like an acid trip! wish they would have finished this up...

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

From what I understand, Green Acres ended with Hooterville seceding from the country and Oliver was made king.

19. Michael

I missed that scenario!

20. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

So Season 1 is still not out officially?

21. PaulKTF

I believe they're all in the Ultimate Collection 1 and 2 sets (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

yes, that is correct...they decided to start with the second season....nice bunch of extras as well...

23. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

24. PaulKTF

25. Michael

yes indeed...I can live with the current 1st and half of the second season...bring on the rest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.