The Bevis Frond

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnasimmons, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnasimmons

johnasimmons Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any Bevis Frond fans out there?

2. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

3. johnasimmons

johnasimmons Forum Resident Thread Starter

I met Nick years ago when he played in 'The Von Trap Family'/'Room 13' as he and the other group members used to drink in my local pub at the time - a load of us visited him in hospital when he had his motor bike accident in the early 80's (1983 I think, bit hazy about dates in the 70's/80's)

Horse Majeure and bzfgt like this.
  4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I prefer his work with Butthead. Was sad when they broke up.

Sear, Mark J, Jackstar74 and 5 others like this.
  5. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

6. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Been enjoying their music since their second album. They are unique.

bzfgt likes this.
  7. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Yeah, I dig the Frond.

bzfgt and Cassiel like this.
  8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The Outskirts Of Infinity weren't bad, either. ;)

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Outskirts+Of+Infinity

"The Outskirts of Infinity are a British Psychedelic trio who have been boiling away since the eighties. Their sound is a Hendrix scream of fuzz, flower power and syrupy acid blues, created to blow minds and wig-out squares. Guitarist Bari Watts is their not-so-secret weapon, his freely-freaking axe is a riot of Purple Haze and Creamy slashing.

The Outskirts Of Infinity are a Psychedelic Rock trio from the UK, and were one of the earliest bands to release an album on Nick Saloman's Woronzow Label. Nick himself played Bass with the band on the first two albums. The Outskirts first album "Lord Of The Dark Skies" was one of the best on the label, with epic slabs of progressive rock and soaring guitar."

zphage and phil1db like this.
  9. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Yeah, they are a great band. Lots of excellent songs written. Great live, with Nick's guitar very Hendrix-esque. Recording quality pretty much terrible on all of the albums, I think because Nick insists on doing it all himself. Very nice guy, but let's just say he's not exactly a Steve Hoffman in the studio. Really a shame, makes the albums hard to listen to.

bzfgt and phil1db like this.
  10. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

bzfgt, norman_frappe and belushipower like this.
  11. chodad

chodad Hodad

It'll be interesting to see how they fit bonus tracks in since their cds are already filled to the gills.

Big Bevis fan here. The music is too good to complain about the recording quality.

bzfgt and JimD like this.
  12. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

And Saloman's gotten more proficient at recording over the years. I have no complaints about the sound quality on either of his most recent albums - White Numbers or The Leaving of London.

13. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

Big Bevis Frond fan here as well!! Any Gas Faster is my personal fave!

I also became a long distance friend of Bari Watts..who played with the Frond and went on to front his own band Outskirts of Infinity...he and I exchange mail and correspondence..I even cover one of the Outskirts songs for my yet to be released cd
    https://soundcloud.com/emperor5353/fall
    Bari even told me he liked my version better than his :)
    The Outskirts of Infinity are one of my favorite bands and their cd Altar of the Elements is a must hear

14. nightmoves

nightmoves Forum Resident

I like really like the album Triptych.

TangoWhiskyman likes this.
  15. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I am listening to Miasma now. Sounds good to me. I had heard a few things on college radio back in the day but never really got into their catalog. I am going to check more stuff out for sure.

iggyd likes this.
  16. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I highly recommend their most recent album, 2013's White Numbers. A double CD/triple LP, it's loaded with great songs and playing. The album culminates with an epic 40+ minute instrumental called "Homemade Traditional Electric Jam." I was initially leery when I saw the length of the song, but due to its structure, which slowly reveals itself as the song progresses, and the interplay between the musicians as tension builds and is released, it manages to hold my attention for its duration, and stand up to repeated listens.

bzfgt, cwitt1980 and norman_frappe like this.
  17. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

wow thanks, that is certainly worthy of my attention, it will be up next. I liked Miasma a lot, it's really good, such an eclectic mix of songs and genres. The singer at times sounds like Elvis Costello. And man someone can play the guitar like an animal! I am totally digging them.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  18. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Just received my CD copy of High in a Flat today, and haven't spun it yet. But Nick's never too wide of the mark. As with many of you, I love White Numbers. It's a real return to form, though Nick really never left this sun-dappled corner of the music world.

For any recent discoverers of The Frond's charms, do not miss New River Head -- especially the reissued, expanded version (which is really only what was on the original double LP and wouldn't fit on a single CD, but I digress.) For me, that's his masterpiece. Any Gas Faster, Triptych, London Stone and Miasma are almost as great, but none of those outshine NRH. Cheers!

Former Scientist and zongo like this.
  19. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Really like the albums I've heard - great guitar work and songwriting, and I prefer the low-fi sound. The Inner Marshland is probably my favorite.

bzfgt likes this.
  20. woody

woody Forum Resident

This'll keep you busy. Stream till your heart's content or download lossless.

I need to check out some of his newer releases.

http://bevisfrond.bandcamp.com

Reader likes this.
  21. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Great music, great songwriting, great playing on many many albums. Unfortunately, most of those albums have horrible sub-par recording quality, and are just barely listenable without getting a headache. Such a shame. Still worth listening to despite the sound. I agree with the person a couple posts ago who recommended New River Head and Any Gas Faster - if I had to pick, those would be my favorites also.

22. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I just found out today that the Frond released an album last year called Example 22. I listened to some of the samples and it sounds terrific. I can't believe I missed this one!

23. Reader

Reader Senior Member

It's another good one. I didn't hear anything about it and it just popped up while I was searching for something else. Next time I see a new release I'll post about it here. I don't think there are that many fans here.

Anybody have any of the new Cherry Red vinyl re-releases? I've got all the original vinyl but have been thinking about checking the new pressings out.

24. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Because White Numbers was such a massive offering of music -- triple vinyl/double CD -- I assumed it'd be a couple of year before they released the follow up. I'm pleased to be wrong!
    Good question. I'm keen to get a copy of Superseeder when that's reissued.

zphage likes this.
  25. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Picked up the RSD reissues of miasma and inner marshland yesterday. So happy to have these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.