The big comparison of Iron Maiden CD masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oldschool, Mar 19, 2009.

1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Virus is a geat song, my favorite song with Blaze, actually. I haven't heard I Live My Way, how is that song?

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

3. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

It made me think "wow, he's got one awesome dad" :laugh:

4. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Yep, and TNOTB also has enhanced colors and a slight change in the background. Derek Riggs , the artist, got into digitally remaster stuff too, so he took his analog paintings in acrylics and loaded them in a computer. In this particular case, the results are interesting, because he was also a better artist by the time he remastered the cover art.

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

They have the same levels for each track in the tables that were made earlier in this thread. Each track matches up across the board if they are the same mastering.

[​IMG]

black sheriff likes this.
  6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I compare the "black triangles" with the "1st uk CDP" and are the same, same peaks, same dynamic range.

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yes, and also the Castle 2 CD set for this album. The other albums will be different across the board.

8. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the US capitols cds are better? than the japan black triangles or 1st uk CDPs???
    Im talk from the 1st to the seven son! not later albums

9. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I think the black triangles (CP32's) use the same masters, but Japan is well known, particularly in the 80's, to have superior production technology and quality control. I suspect the black triangles will sound closer to the vinyl, which was ultimately the promise of CD technology, than any of the other pressings - even those using the same masterings (UK EMI, etc.). The difference may be subtle.

The question, then, is how much do you want to pay for that vinyl sounding disc? Here is a recent auction where the CP32 went for $65.

From this thread and others, it seems most of the people who have the black triangles notice a difference.

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I agree,
    I compare the japan black triangle of "the number of the beast" with the UK 1st press and are the same... and I like the quality of all japan cds including black triangles... and yes are more expensive for "collectable" and sound quality too

11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

fast question:
    the castle's 2 cd have good sound? I like for the bonus bsides... so if are good I see that US have different mastering than Holland, so which is better?

12. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

These can be picked up for a lot less than that if you're not fussed about the obi strip :righton:

stenway likes this.
  13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I have the European 2CD sets and they're all good, all the same as the regular old European CDs as can be seen on the charts oldschool posted elsewhere in this thread. Likewise, you can see on the charts that the Castle 2CDs are the same as the old Capitols too.

As a rule of thumb, the 2CD sets are good to have and safe to crank.

14. Brian Vollrath

Brian Vollrath Forum Resident

Roland,
    Please explain how to do this. Do you use Cool Edit Pro to get the frequency numbers? How do you figure out the level shift? I would so love do this to a couple of CDs where the LPs are crackly and hope to EQ the CD to sound close to the LP. I know it won't be perfect, but I'm sure this process will get it closer than if I would do it by ear. So if it is not too complicated to post, please do so.

Thanks.

Brian

15. Lussekatt

Lussekatt Forum Resident

Great thread! A lot of useful information when picking up the CDs :righton:

But in the old post I did quote above - why is the BT S/T excluded? As far as I understand it would be superior to the other versions when comparing them in the excel table, but instead I should look for the capitol? :confused:

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The original Capitol US CD (or equivalent) of Iron Maiden S/T is better than the others. The mastering is just better for that one. Sometimes that happens.

17. Brian Vollrath

Brian Vollrath Forum Resident

I agree with Holy Diver that the original US CD version is good. I've heard the UK and own the US one.

Lussekatt and Holy Diver like this.
  18. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Love to crank my black triangle (original issue) Somewhere in Time cd - its one of my all time favorite recordings (and great for driving to).

The remaster - while having a neat picture disc with Eddie wearing a headest - makes my ears bleed.

Now if I could only find an original issue of Powerslave. I so stupidly sold off my original issues in 1998 (1998 was a year in which my wallet was doing very well, one of my best earning years before or since) and thus I began to replace all my previous cds that year with inferior, brickwalled remasters by Maiden, Priest, Rush, Scorpions, etc..

Holy Diver likes this.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

We all replaced ours, too.

20. Vaudio

Vaudio New Member

In the late 1980s and early 1990s found that most please masterс of the Capitol. Since then, buy only those and I have not disappointed once. I've had the opportunity to compare them то many Japanese, EMY France, and so on issues, and it only covinced me that I made the right choice.

cutrX and Lussekatt like this.
  21. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Finally picked up an original Capitol version of "Powerslave" (my favorite Iron Maiden album) this weekend after having the 1998 remaster for the past ten years. I just wanted to comment how much more natural the original Captiol CD sounds in comparison for the 1998 remaster, especially the drums. This has made a great album even better and more enjoyable! Now on to tracking down Captiol versions of "The Number of the Beast" and "Piece of Mind".

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and get the EMI UK CDs for all those albums. You won't be sorry.

sgtpppr84 likes this.
  23. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

After reading through this thread and seeing the charts for each of the albums, I've taken your advice and purchased original EMI UK CDs of "The Number of the Beast" (disc made in England) and "Powerslave" (disc made in West Germany) on eBay for $5 each. Just need an EMI of "Piece of Mind" and I'll be all set. Thanks!

24. japc

japc Forum Resident

$5? Nice.

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Rock and roll! :righton: